Patriot Mobile

IWI Tavor trigger spring removal problem.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I removed my extra return trigger in my Tavor trigger pack. This did lessen up the trigger pull. Today my son and I went out shooting and the Tavor trigger failed to reset several times. I had to manually push the trigger forward to get it to reset. I was shooting off a bench and was releasing the trigger very slowly, but it did fail to reset. I will be putting my spring back on. Just figured I would share. I guess all those engineers do know what they are doing...:thumb:

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooooooo.....your saying that you purposely held the trigger to the rear and it failed to reset ?? Can you make the trigger NOT reset doing this while dry firing ??

My thought --> the trigger is NOT made to be held to the rear or "releasing very slowly". However I am not a TAVOR "guru". Maybe some other owners with some trigger time will chime in here. I can imagine what IWI will say when you call them. :flame: ---- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The spring you removed (I have too) is there to assist the reset. I've noticed a couple of hesitations on my reset just after I removed the spring . They put it in to help when the trigger pack for really gritty. It may get better with more use as the trigger wears in. I haven't noticed any issues the last few times I've gone to the range.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think ^^ got is right, press and release the trigger as normal and do not hold it back at least until broken in, it cannot reset with you holding it.. Are you just removing the spring on these or doing a fluff and buff on the trigger also?

45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes.... it will do this when dry firing. I don't see this as something that IWI designed wrong. The rifle works perfectly with the factory spring installed. This is not a huge problem for me. I just thought I would let others know who were thinking about removing the spring.

45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think ^^ got is right, press and release the trigger as normal and do not hold it back at least until broken in, it cannot reset with you holding it.. Are you just removing the spring on these or doing a fluff and buff on the trigger also?

just removed the extra return spring....no fluff and buff.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have had my face down inside a couple of these trigger packs now. Although not like any trigger that I have ever done(and I have F&B'ed a bunch)it does look doable as far as the weight of pull reduction. The creep and over-travel is unknown. If nothing else I would do them as I have done several of my H&R Handi Rifles(my 300BO is 2lbs 12ozs.)

IMO.........a 12lb+ trigger is unacceptable in ANY weapon(and I realize how this weapon was designed to be used). With the easily removed reset spring removed the trigger that I tested was 10lbs 4ozs(average of 5 pulls with my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge). This pull weight is (kinda)close to what I would consider acceptable but the removal of the spring degrades it's reset so that IS(!)unacceptable. --- SAWMAN

Wise87

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I removed my spring and I have not had any reset issues. Works like a champ. I plan on replacing my trigger pack once Geissele releases the Super Sabra Trigger.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have not tried to take the trigger pack apart. However triggers are simply about geometry. Surfaces that bare on each other under some pressure. Angles are what is extremely important.

While nothing(IMO)beats a Geissele,when they are initially released to the general public(indeed,some are out there now)they will be the advertised price of $350.+. I do believe that for that money I would prefer to tinker a bit on the OEM trigger pack.

For the hunting that I do,I believe that the importance of a 100% positive reset would not be super important. Also how clean the weapon is kept would (IMO) produce better results. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sawman, If I remember, I'll bring my Tavor for you to recheck the trigger pull tomorrow. I've now fired it 352 rounds...we'll see if it's now lighter than the 10 lb 4 oz when it was new (with the extra spring removed).

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Something else that the owners of the guns with the "tough" triggers can do that lessens the pull weight somewhat ........ Pull all the pins that any part swings on,moves on,etc. The trigger pin and hammer pin are good examples. I use a Dremmel tool with a small felt wheel and some polishing compound,Flitz,or even toothpaste. Spin this at a slow speed against the middle 2/3rds of the pins. Do not allow the pin to heat up. Shine it up so that it looks like chrome. The idea is to POLISH not REMOVE material. Before you reinstall it,wipe it with an extremely small amount of gun grease. I use Tetra Gun.

I have measured some AR triggers to be lowered by over 1lb by doing the above alone,nothing else. I have a milspec trigger in my 308/AR now that I took down to 4lbs 6ozs using this,and other,procedures including putting JP springs in it. No creep(hammer cocking),and minimal over travel. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My Tavor, when new, had the extra spring removed and trigger pull measured. It was 10 lb 4 oz. It has now been measured again after firing 352 rounds and several dry fires (30 or so). It is now 9 lb 2 oz. I'll have it measured again when it's up to 700 or more rounds fired and report the results. This is consistent with what I've read in that the Tavor tripper pull lightens up after firing it a while.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I removed the extra spring from mine, only one range trip under my belt... but I didn't experience any reset issues. +1 on picking up a Geissele when they are available.

Top Bottom