• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARAMP1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ran across this old picture some of my Glock mags and figured I'd share. I've probably got another 30-40 now since I've taken that picture.

LoadedMags.jpg

That's 9mm on the left, 10mm on the right and .45ACP in the back.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you know leaving them loaded weakens the spring over time

I think there are conflicting reports on this... But I also keep all of my mags loaded.

Aramp, thanks for showing me that there are others like me... Haha

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an old Mossberg Model 144 .22 with a 7 shot mag. They made this model from 1946-1951 I think so that makes it around 60 years old. I bought it over 40 years ago. The original magazine has been fully loaded since I bought it and still works perfectly, unlike a whole lot of new modern magazines fresh out of the box.

Metallurgists agree that cycling a spring is what wears them out. Sitting in place whether compressed or extended makes no difference on a spring's life.

ARAMP1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you know leaving them loaded weakens the spring over time
    Aside from extreme conditions such as heat (that would melt the plastic anyway) and corrosion, even the cheapest quality steel (which may have imperfections, etc) is elastic enough that fully loading the magazine will not permanently deform the spring let alone do any damage.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm all for being eccentric, but does this serve any practical purpose, or just part of a man-cave display? Looks like a North Korean .Russian Roulette tournament....

ARAMP1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm all for being eccentric, but does this serve any practical purpose, or just part of a man-cave display? Looks like a North Korean .Russian Roulette tournament....
    Actually, the ranges that I used to frequent charged by time from check in to check out. Bringing several magazines saves you time and therefore money in the sense that you're only being charged for your time shooting and not reloading magazines. I'll usually drag a pelican case full of mags with me to the range. Here's my main setup. The next one I make up will have wheels though.

P1010274.jpg

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    Actually, the ranges that I used to frequent charged by time from check in to check out. Bringing several magazines saves you time and therefore money in the sense that you're only being charged for your time shooting and not reloading magazines. I'll usually drag a pelican case full of mags with me to the range. Here's my main setup. The next one I make up will have wheels though.

P1010274.jpg

NICE !!!!!!!
    A case just for mags

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That is a FACT. It does weaken the springs over time. Also..... the Glocks will quite easily pass thru a metal detector. AND....... they will fire even if you do not pull the trigger. DAMN GLOCKs !!! I hate 'em.

Nice collection of mags there. Remember the early 90's. They were selling from between $45 and $125 back then. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That is a FACT. It does weaken the springs over time. Also..... the Glocks will quite easily pass thru a metal detector. AND....... they will fire even if you do not pull the trigger. DAMN GLOCKs !!! I hate 'em. --- SAWMAN

Not ragging/knocking your post, but I've got 2 GLOCK 33rd mags, I've loaded 6 yrs ago, just to check this theory (once a year I check) of the springs. They cycle flawlessly and are still hard to load all 33 rds into them. But of course there are "lemons" everywhere, just because my mag springs haven't failed doesn't mean someone else's won't. Scherer mags on the other hand, the spring failed over-night in 1-Day. I replaced it with a Glock mag spring, works fine now.
    As for the "metal detectors", this actually depends on the manufacturer and the model. Most detectors can be adjusted for "when to alarm", to allow jewelry, zippers, shoe eyelets, etc.... to pass. I went to the County Courthouse and my Small, regular, everyday belt buckle got detected, then afterward, my small gold-colored "fish hook", (which you can buy at wal-mart), on my ball cap got detected. Which I was quickly pulled to the side and "scanned" with a hand-held detector, (it's so sensitive, it alarmed on the steel pin in my finger). Certainly a Glock would not pass this detector in any form, even if disassembled. I assume it is a better quality model detector.
    As far as a Glock firing on it's own, I've never seen/heard of this before? Something I need to look into tho, as I'd hate to blow-off my man-hood while carrying concealed. ooch Thanks on the heads up here.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think that sawman was being sarcastic in his last post there.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Se,see,this is why Ian is the captain of this here ship.

ACTUALLY......all the reports that I have read states the the act of compressing and decompressing a mag spring is what actually weakens it, not the fact that it has been compressed over time. I used to switch out my Glock mags because of worry over weakening of the springs but talking to the Glock people and others I do not do this anymore. I personally would be more worried about switching out my ammo than fear of a broken or weakened spring(especially from Glock).

I had a buddy that was cleaning out some of his dads stuff and found a Govt issued 1911 that his dad had/carried back in WWII. He asked if I would check it out for reliability and safety. I did, and the pistol was good to go. One day he called and wanted to know if I wanted to go shoot it. "Well hell yeah". When he came over to my house he had 5 mags for the gun that had been loaded since his dad put the gun away. I was interested in that they would still function properly so I looked down in the mags with a light and the rds looked to be MilSpec without any corrosion but some discoloring.

So I asked if I could fire a mag and he OK'ed it. I shot 2 slowly then the others as fast as I could pull the trigger without a hiccup. He followed buy shooting the other four mags in this fashion. NEVER a problem after the mags had been loaded for some 55 years.

Hunkyfish.....you and me might just have damn near all the mags that Glock ever produced. I'm sellin my gold and buying mags if this shit gets any worse. :smile: --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glock magazines... the new gold standard?

In all fairness Sawman, sarcasm is tough to catch when reading, especially if you are not familiar with those you are "talking" to. That is what the smiley icons are for :D.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will most certinly work on my sarcasm correctness. Just to make sure that I understand...do I do this:smile:if it is intended or do I do this if it is not:smile: ?? Just to be clear,I want to be known as the most sarcastic son-of-a bitch on this forum. If that is granted to me I will gladly allow you to make sure my post count stays 5 below Stanly's at all times.(OUCH to me) :smile:--- SAWMAN

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You lost me somewhere around the second :smile:... Haha

Mission accomplished?

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always have kept mine loaded for no other reason that I would rather there be a possibility that when the hammer drops nothing happens,than knowing when the hammer drops nothing will happen...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    AND---> hopefully not to derail toooo far....when I go to the range I always shoot my existing loaded mags first that way I do the, first bought - first used,ammo thing.

Matt, "hammer" what hammer. If you carried a Glock you wouldn't have to worry about no stinkin' hammer. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Top Bottom