It appears that a mega donor for Ron DeSantis is representing Michael Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety and lobbying against Constitutional Carry

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    It appears that a mega donor for Ron DeSantis is representing Michael Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety and lobbying against Constitutional Carry in FL.

Screenshot_20230208_222420_jpg-2703998.JPG

Jeff Hartley is a firm member of Smith Bryan & Myers, one of the premier government lobbying firms in FL.

Screenshot_20230208_222533_jpg-2704001.JPG

From his own bio as a member of SMB:

Code:
    Jeff Hartley has been providing effective government relations consulting services to clients for nearly two decades. Jeff, as a shareholder and vice president of Smith Bryan & Myers, has helped grow the firm to become one of the most respected firms in Tallahassee.

His wide range of knowledge was developed through managing highly-targeted House Republican campaigns, where he was responsible for coordinating all fundraising and policy efforts, as well as public appearances, media events and direct mail buys. Additionally, Jeff has served as a liaison between the firm’s clients, House and Senate leadership, the Governor’s office and the Cabinet.

Screenshot_20230208_222938_jpg-2704005.JPG

ElQ-iAYXgAAfERu

Get this, Jeff Hartley was a inauguration’s co-chair for the 2023 Gubernatorial Inauguration, an honor bestowed to folks thet raise $1 million or more in campaign funds. There were only five $1 million donors and Jeff Hartley was one of them. He received the “inaugural chair” designation, which included the ability to access multiple inaugural events. That included a photo with DeSantis, VIP seats to DeSantis’ swearing in and invitations to attend a candlelight dinner, inaugural ball, etc....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/18/desantis-inauguration-donors/

Screenshot_20230208_215649_jpg-2704008.JPG

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/20...-donors-and-lobbyists-at-inauguration-events/

Screenshot_20230208_215840_jpg-2704009.JPG

Yup, a known Republican megs donor, someone that has connections to DeSantis and the Legislative Leadership, is currently representing one of the nation's most anti-gun organizations in the country.

I wonder what else is happening behind the scenes.

DustyDog

Master
    Not surprising. I just e-mailed DeSantis (text below), telling him that this issue is a deal-breaker for me. Of course, I didn't donate a million bucks to his campaign, so...

Gov. DeSantis,

I hate to become a single-issue voter, but if there was ever an instance where it was warranted, in my opinion, this is it. I understand that there is a lot on your plate, and many people have other priorities, but this issue is so indicative of our general situation re: our Rights under the Constitution. If "Free Florida" places them as far in the back of the bus as is currently done ONLY in Illinois and New York... the only other states with an outright ban on open carry... how "free" are we?

There are only two possibilities: Either you are unaware of what is about to transpire, or you are in on it. HB 543, as it stands, is a farce, a bait-and-switch, and a waste of ink and paper. Like many, I am highly disillusioned with our political process, and if this is what we've waited and fought all this time for, I'm done with voting for you going forward... not that you would be the first.

It makes no sense to ban open-carry, while allowing concealed carry without a permit. This is upside-down and backwards, as is so much in our political landscape today. Concealed carry is a form of subterfuge, and thus is more worthy of restriction than open carry. With open carry, the carrier's status is clear for all to see, whereas with concealed carry, everyone is in the dark. Why is subterfuge encouraged, while openness is not only discouraged, but banned?

I can only believe that this is nothing more than an attempt to assuage the "sensibilities" of a constituency that is the most un-sensible in history, and thus an exercise in futility. You will lose this voter if you sign this, thereby locking us into this charade certainly for my lifetime, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one.

Imagine that we are told that we have "freedom of speech", as long as no one can hear us talk. This is the perfect analogy. If this Bill passes without a provision to allow open-carry, Florida will have acknowledged our Right to keep and bear arms, "as long as it is a two-finger pistol that can be hidden in our panties", i.e., one that no one can see.

Open carry is not ideal in every scenario, but it is preferable in many. Imagine you are a farmer in the middle of nowhere. If you have to use a public road to move from one field to another, you would need to conceal your carried firearm to legally do so. Ever tried keeping a firearm shoved inside your pants while spending a 95-degree day seated on a tractor? Just one example.

Please do your best to rectify this "oversight", or whatever it is. If we don't end up with true Constitutional Carry, then we will have all the proof we need that a "Republican super-majority" means nothing, and that voting has become just another example of insanity.

Sincerely,

Dusty Dog
    GCGF : )

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Not surprising. I just e-mailed DeSantis (text below), telling him that this issue is a deal-breaker for me. Of course, I didn't donate a million bucks to his campaign, so...

Gov. DeSantis,

I hate to become a single-issue voter, but if there was ever an instance where it was warranted, in my opinion, this is it. I understand that there is a lot on your plate, and many people have other priorities, but this issue is so indicative of our general situation re: our Rights under the Constitution. If "Free Florida" places them as far in the back of the bus as is currently done ONLY in Illinois and New York... the only other states with an outright ban on open carry... how "free" are we?

There are only two possibilities: Either you are unaware of what is about to transpire, or you are in on it. HB 543, as it stands, is a farce, a bait-and-switch, and a waste of ink and paper. Like many, I am highly disillusioned with our political process, and if this is what we've waited and fought all this time for, I'm done with voting for you going forward... not that you would be the first.

It makes no sense to ban open-carry, while allowing concealed carry without a permit. This is upside-down and backwards, as is so much in our political landscape today. Concealed carry is a form of subterfuge, and thus is more worthy of restriction than open carry. With open carry, the carrier's status is clear for all to see, whereas with concealed carry, everyone is in the dark. Why is subterfuge encouraged, while openness is not only discouraged, but banned?

I can only believe that this is nothing more than an attempt to assuage the "sensibilities" of a constituency that is the most un-sensible in history, and thus an exercise in futility. You will lose this voter if you sign this, thereby locking us into this charade certainly for my lifetime, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one.

Imagine that we are told that we have "freedom of speech", as long as no one can hear us talk. This is the perfect analogy. If this Bill passes without a provision to allow open-carry, Florida will have acknowledged our Right to keep and bear arms, "as long as it is a two-finger pistol that can be hidden in our panties", i.e., one that no one can see.

Open carry is not ideal in every scenario, but it is preferable in many. Imagine you are a farmer in the middle of nowhere. If you have to use a public road to move from one field to another, you would need to conceal your carried firearm to legally do so. Ever tried keeping a firearm shoved inside your pants while spending a 95-degree day seated on a tractor? Just one example.

Please do your best to rectify this "oversight", or whatever it is. If we don't end up with true Constitutional Carry, then we will have all the proof we need that a "Republican super-majority" means nothing, and that voting has become just another example of insanity.

Sincerely,

Dusty Dog
    GCGF : )
    Well said.

Jevaughn

Master
    I honestly prefer conceal carry to open carry. With open carry, if you make any kinda body movement that could be considered threatening (whether it is meant as such or not) and you are openly armed, then that just pushes some snowflake to cry that you are threatening them with a firearm. Also, it's fairly easy to disarm someone who is open carrying if not in a well secured holster if you catch them off-guard, especially from behind.
    That being said, constitutional carry should apply to BOTH concealed and open carry. Concealed carry is the more 'polite' carry, while open is the Loud and Intimidating forms (in the eyes of the left at least) and is more prone to illicit confrontation from law enforcement because some snowflake decides that this big scary guy with a gun was menacing them, when you probably just smiled and nodded your head in passing and they only saw big guy with a murder machine on his hip.
    I prefer permitless conceal carry because that really makes criminals wonder just WHO is carrying, it makes every confrontation a gamble. Also, businesses can dictate whether or not they're a 'gun free zone' and refuse service to someone open carrying, but if you're conceal carrying, then they have no way of knowing unless you're concealed poorly or your brandishing.
    An armed populace is a polite populace, and it's your duty to protect you and yours. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

IronBeard

Master
    I'm consistently hearing from various folks that I ought to pay attention to the financing behind DeSantis. Not liking the feeling I'm getting.... Sure, I guess it could be disinformation, but I can't shake the fact there is no one in politics that got/staid there on their own dime.

DustyDog

Master
    I honestly prefer conceal carry to open carry. With open carry, if you make any kinda body movement that could be considered threatening (whether it is meant as such or not) and you are openly armed, then that just pushes some snowflake to cry that you are threatening them with a firearm. Also, it's fairly easy to disarm someone who is open carrying if not in a well secured holster if you catch them off-guard, especially from behind.
    That being said, constitutional carry should apply to BOTH concealed and open carry. Concealed carry is the more 'polite' carry, while open is the Loud and Intimidating forms (in the eyes of the left at least) and is more prone to illicit confrontation from law enforcement because some snowflake decides that this big scary guy with a gun was menacing them, when you probably just smiled and nodded your head in passing and they only saw big guy with a murder machine on his hip.
    I prefer permitless conceal carry because that really makes criminals wonder just WHO is carrying, it makes every confrontation a gamble. Also, businesses can dictate whether or not they're a 'gun free zone' and refuse service to someone open carrying, but if you're conceal carrying, then they have no way of knowing unless you're concealed poorly or your brandishing.
    An armed populace is a polite populace, and it's your duty to protect you and yours. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    Depends on where I'm going. To a crowded disco? CONCEALED! To change my target out on Gator Island, where the only other people within a mile are... well... GATORS? OPEN! : )

lil'skeet

Master
    I think a lot of these far left donors are looking to 2024. Trump vs DeSantis. Backup plan for a failed attempt at another stolen election. Backing the lesser of the 2 evils. They know that they won't be able to control Trump. DeSantis, maybe?
    Another scenario is to try to divide the party of wite supremacists & insurrectionists.
    Just try to think like they do, hateful, evil, America despising scum, with endless supplies of tax payer $.
    If I were DeSantis, I would take their $ then use it to f#ck them over with a Trump & DeSantis VP for 2024. I hate to lose him as governor but if Dems can hand pick a Biden | Kamala, we can find a "as the constitution was written" governor.

Jevaughn

Master
    I think a lot of these far left donors are looking to 2024. Trump vs DeSantis. Backup plan for a failed attempt at another stolen election. Backing the lesser of the 2 evils. They know that they won't be able to control Trump. DeSantis, maybe?
    Another scenario is to try to divide the party of wite supremacists & insurrectionists.
    Just try to think like they do, hateful, evil, America despising scum, with endless supplies of tax payer $.
    If I were DeSantis, I would take their $ then use it to f#ck them over with a Trump & DeSantis VP for 2024. I hate to lose him as governor but if Dems can hand pick a Biden | Kamala, we can find a "as the constitution was written" governor.
    I read somewhere that Trump stated that if he didn't get the GOP nomination, he'd run as an independent. If that happens, it guarantees 4 more years of Democrat presidency. Honestly, if Trump does get the nomination, it probably still means 4 more years of a democrat president. I just think at this point, the man is unelectable, but will have enough votes to strip a win from DeSantis or Nikki Haley or whoever else is there.

DustyDog

Master
    I read somewhere that Trump stated that if he didn't get the GOP nomination, he'd run as an independent. If that happens, it guarantees 4 more years of Democrat presidency. Honestly, if Trump does get the nomination, it probably still means 4 more years of a democrat president. I just think at this point, the man is unelectable, but will have enough votes to strip a win from DeSantis or Nikki Haley or whoever else is there.
    And if DeSantis gets the nomination... and even wins the election... we will have four years of incessant animal howlings from the left anyway... identical to what went on during Trump's term... so how is that better than having Trump finish the four more years that he earned... and likely won, absent the manipulation that occurred in 2020?

Don't let the left trick you into thinking that, if we just go with DeSantis, they will stop being rabid communists.

Last edited:

Vincent

Expert
    It appears that a mega donor for Ron DeSantis is representing Michael Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety and lobbying against Constitutional Carry in FL.

Screenshot_20230208_222420_jpg-2703998.JPG

Jeff Hartley is a firm member of Smith Bryan & Myers, one of the premier government lobbying firms in FL.

Screenshot_20230208_222533_jpg-2704001.JPG

From his own bio as a member of SMB:

Code:
    Jeff Hartley has been providing effective government relations consulting services to clients for nearly two decades. Jeff, as a shareholder and vice president of Smith Bryan & Myers, has helped grow the firm to become one of the most respected firms in Tallahassee.

His wide range of knowledge was developed through managing highly-targeted House Republican campaigns, where he was responsible for coordinating all fundraising and policy efforts, as well as public appearances, media events and direct mail buys. Additionally, Jeff has served as a liaison between the firm’s clients, House and Senate leadership, the Governor’s office and the Cabinet.

Screenshot_20230208_222938_jpg-2704005.JPG

ElQ-iAYXgAAfERu

Get this, Jeff Hartley was a inauguration’s co-chair for the 2023 Gubernatorial Inauguration, an honor bestowed to folks thet raise $1 million or more in campaign funds. There were only five $1 million donors and Jeff Hartley was one of them. He received the “inaugural chair” designation, which included the ability to access multiple inaugural events. That included a photo with DeSantis, VIP seats to DeSantis’ swearing in and invitations to attend a candlelight dinner, inaugural ball, etc....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/18/desantis-inauguration-donors/

Screenshot_20230208_215649_jpg-2704008.JPG

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/20...-donors-and-lobbyists-at-inauguration-events/

Screenshot_20230208_215840_jpg-2704009.JPG

Yup, a known Republican megs donor, someone that has connections to DeSantis and the Legislative Leadership, is currently representing one of the nation's most anti-gun organizations in the country.

I wonder what else is happening behind the scenes.
    Something not right going on with DeSantis and I'm a Florida residence and I'm a fan but it has come to my attention that he has hired the attorney that represents Dominion the bogus voting machines that are suing and also fighting in court against the Mike lindell initiative to get these machine sidelined before the next election or the crap will just keep happening stealing the elections.

DustyDog

Master
    Something not right going on with DeSantis and I'm a Florida residence and I'm a fan but it has come to my attention that he has hired the attorney that represents Dominion the bogus voting machines that are suing and also fighting in court against the Mike lindell initiative to get these machine sidelined before the next election or the crap will just keep happening stealing the elections.
    Trump is one of only THREE presidential candidates I voted for... or would have voted for... in the last THIRTY years... and I don't trust HIM any farther than I can throw him! NEVER assume ANYONE is what they claim to be! The only one of those three that was likely straight-up legit was PEROT (with Trump a close second). And note how the media loved to make fun of his EARS... because what else did they have?

Last edited:

rhymn001

Shooter
    And if DeSantis gets the nomination... and wins the election... we will have four years of incessant animal howlings from the left anyway... identical to what went on during Trump's term... so how is that better than having Trump finish the four more years that he earned... and likely won, absent the manipulation that occurred in 2020?

Don't let the left trick you into thinking that, if we just go with DeSantis, they will stop being rabid communists.
    Trump didnt get to finish the job he started. He was doing great and so was the country.
    DeSantis is the real deal and the leftwingers will do anything and say anything to paint him like they painted Trump.
    We know what kind of govt the leftwingers bring with them.
    Both Trump and DeSantis are conservatives.

I'd be happy with a true conservative President and Congress.

DustyDog

Master
    Trump didnt get to finish the job he started. He was doing great and so was the country.
    DeSantis is the real deal and the leftwingers will do anything and say anything to paint him like they painted Trump.
    We know what kind of govt the leftwingers bring with them.
    Both Trump and DeSantis are conservatives.

I'd be happy with a true conservative President and Congress.
    Yep... I don't want anyone to think I'm a "fan" of any of these guys... but Trump was the best we've had in decades, and anyone who doesn't think he's gunning for those bastards... including the RINOs... who've battled him at every turn for the last eight years, is sadly mistaken.

Let Trump have four more, then we can look at DeSantis for the next eight. I've been watching Trump for over thirty years, and have yet... as far as I can recall... to find a stated policy of his that I strongly disagree with... and he means what he says. DeSantis, on the other hand, is fairly new on the scene, so let's watch him a while longer... like with this "Constitutional Carry" farce we're about to be screwed with. DeSantis promised he would sign Constitutional Carry, but if he signs HB 543 as it stands, then he has failed in that regard.

I asked myself in the early '80s why would we be sending our jobs, money, factories, and technology to communist China. There was only one logical conclusion: We were building them up into a credible threat for a future confrontation or war... check today's headlines and tell me I was wrong. It may well be too late to turn back, but if we don't cut them off soon, that war will become inevitable, and our prospects for success only diminish going forward. Now, look at Trump over a decade ago, when CNN loved him (probably because he had no say in such matters at that point)... just note that this wasn't the first time he sounded the alarm:

Last edited:

lil'skeet

Master
    Yep... I don't want anyone to think I'm a "fan" of any of these guys... but Trump was the best we've had in decades, and anyone who doesn't think he's gunning for those bastards... including the RINOs... who've battled him at every turn for the last eight years, is sadly mistaken.

Let Trump have four more, then we can look at DeSantis for the next eight. I've been watching Trump for over thirty years, and have yet... as far as I can recall... to find a stated policy of his that I strongly disagree with... and he means what he says. DeSantis, on the other hand, is fairly new on the scene, so let's watch him a while longer... like with this "Constitutional Carry" farce we're about to be screwed with. DeSantis promised he would sign Constitutional Carry, but if he signs HB 543 as it stands, then he has failed in that regard.

I asked myself in the early '80s why would would be sending our jobs, money, factories, and technology to communist China. There was only one logical conclusion: We were building them up into a credible threat for a future confrontation or war... check today's headlines and tell me I was wrong. It may well be too late to turn back, but if we don't cut them off soon, that war will become inevitable, and our prospects for success only diminish going forward. Now, look at Trump over a decade ago, when CNN loved him (probably because he had no say in such matters at that point)... just note that this wasn't the first time he sounded the alarm:

Yes, he had nothing to gain by becoming president. Nothing at all other than trying to change the direction this country has been heading.
    If he had anything to gain someone let me know.

Top Bottom