• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am new to the bulk ammo arena and looking to buy around 1,000 rounds, all anyone around here has is lake city.

I have been shooting Federal 5.56 fmjbt m193ball (XM103F) and have seen PMC.

So will you gun junkies put some of the manufactures of bulk 5.56 ammo in order of best to worst for this FNG. I just got federal because the make pretty good premium ammo for hunting.

It seems that maybe Federal is made in the same place as lake city correct?

Any ammo brands or types I need to avoid? I read something about the magnet test & M855 bullets.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lake City is good stuff the M855 (OR GREEN TIP) is AP. Awesome round used by troops as we speak.Just dont use it on metal targets,and yes the magnet is a definate indicator of the steel core.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks

I am pretty sure the range I am shooting at does not allow amor-piercing rounds so the M855 is out. I did not realize it was the same ammo as the Military. I just assumed since it was cheaper it was inferior. LOL

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M193 was the predecessor to M855. M193 is arguably better than M855 and its cheaper. LC makes the best M193 on the market. LC M193 has been my preferred stockpile ammo, practice and at times defense ammo.

Federal is a subsidiary of ATK, a few years ago ATK won the contract to operate the Lake City military ammo plant. The other small arms military ammo plant is in East Alton IL and is run by Western Cartridge Corp (Winchester). They make 9mm, 12g, 7.62 and 5.56.

Last edited:

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Random off sorry. How about cheap tulo for under $150 for 500 on cheaper than dirt? I'm thinkin if shit hit the fan gun will shoot steel shot or what ever is wrong with it fine for Zombie's, right???

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot Wolf steel case ammo and never had a problem. It shoots fantastic groups for me and is very easy on wallet. Just got 2000rds of 62gr HP for $430 shipped from Sportsmansguide, can't beat that anywhere. If ya get over by Freeport, I'll give ya a box to shoot. Clay

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Random off sorry. How about cheap tulo for under $150 for 500 on cheaper than dirt? I'm thinkin if shit hit the fan gun will shoot steel shot or what ever is wrong with it fine for Zombie's, right???

Stanley, you can get Tula cheaper than that locally at Walmart.

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I shoot Tula with no problems at all. I have shot thousands of rounds of various calibers of their ammo with maybe a few FTFs.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Test it to be sure, I've found Tula ammo to be weak. It won't cycle ARs that has gas ports designed to function more in line with high pressure military 5.56, but most commercial rifles run it fine. Bottom line, if your rifle is a Colt or BCM it probably won't cycle it, but DPMS rifles will (I've personally seen both).

Top Bottom