• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, my pissed off meter is now pegged.

I've had Brighthouse cable/internet for about 8 years now. For most of that time I haven't had any complaints. Then, about 7 months ago my internet speed started slowing down and wifi strength got weaker.

At first I thought it might be my wireless router dying. I had been using their modem and my own wireless router. I went to BB and picked up a range extender which did in fact spread the range out but of course actually knocked the speed down a little more.

So, I've had Brighthouse techs to my house 5 times since the first of the year. Long story short: They come out,.fiddle with everything, new wireless modem (3times) and when they leave it goes to crap again.

I have a good friend that just earned a double Masters degree in IT and related subjects. He came to the house with his analyzing equipment on several occasions and documented how the strength and speed fluctuates up and down the range. I dont remember the numbers but his statements "Dude, this sucks. Bad" is good enough for me.

Brighthouse techs guardedly tell me that yep, I ain't getting good sevice. They admit that their equipment is old, worn out, old.technology, etc. but their hands are tied.

One thing that really makes me mad is they bring these new pieces of crap out, the service gets slightly better for half a day then everything goes back in the dumper yet my bill goes up for "updated equipment".

My service used to be great, no complaints, but its steadily getting worse yet they want to raise my rates, tell me I can probably get my service sped up and stronger if I pay yet more per month for their "commercial high speed service", blah blah blah. IOWs I pay more to get what I used to have. :mad2:

Last discussion I mentioned the wirelese router I have at work and how far it broadcasts and they suggest I buy my own if I want useable service. We agreed that a good one will cost about $100. I told them I'll run out and get it and then when I pay next months bill I'll deduct my cost and include a receipt. Yeah, said in sort of a jest but seems fair to me since no one else I know on the same service has had to keep having out of the pocket extra expenses.

Add to it, I've totally lost connection several times recently last time was this past Friday and it didn't come back up till this moning. I called them about this and they tell me the whole service area is down. This was complete BS as I ran to my office 1 mile away and it was working fine.

So, I talked to someone supposedly in charge and they're sending out a district manager on Tuesday. Mysteriously they tell me that "Lo and behold! They just happen to be getting a new shipment of wireless modems on Tuesday, a much better product, and they're going to replace my present setup with the latest greatest ............. I'll only have to pay another additional $7.00 per month to get the great service I have come to expect"..........a year and $30 a month less ago.

What also gets me is that my neighbor is on AT&T and his wifi has a stronger signal in my house than my service does. I'm about ready to ask him if I can give him a monthly payment and just share his internet.

This irked me greatly so I told them when the manager shows up Tuesday, installs this new high tech jewel and my service gets amazingly better then great! But I ain't paying one penny additional for it. If they insist then I'll help the manager carry the 5 cable boxes, modem, wires, junction boxes etc down to his car then I want him the hell off my property and they will never see another nickle from me.

Rant off, here's the big problem. Looks like I'm stuck with Brighthouse. No Cox out here and when I called AT&T and asked about their service they said I can't get it at my house. I mentioned my next door neighbor has it and was informed that they can't accept any more customers in my 'hood because their bandwidth is maxed out.

Is there something I don't know about? Any other way to get internet out here in Beulahland?

7.62x39

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As far as I know bright house is my only option . I know that if you live on 9 mile right before navy federal you can get cox cable

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Satellite with Exede internet or Hughsnet. Dish also but I've heard they're not that great.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cox is out. It stops at Navy Federal. I'm west of there by a couple of miles.

I didn't want satellite but I may have to. Guess I'll do more research on that.

Gatorcountry, are you near me (Frank Reeder Rd.) or are you towards Mobile Hwy?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    with ATT buying direct tv, I feel the rates will go higher so I need to check out the other one. wish I could do without it! My cox cable and internet is $180 a mo.

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the same problem with cox, it ended up being old cable line from their box into the house. Replaced it and all problems went away. Brighthouses old outdated equipment is still faster and typically more reliable than cox or hughsnet I would call and raise hell about the extra charges to a supervisor and they will credit the account. Essentially if you want service half decent you will need to figure out what is wrong with your current system. Have you friend check their mainline into the house I'll bet at the first splitter is where your problem starts

Sailing_Faith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AT&T high speed? Are they connecting to the wireless network? I use that for my ipad, it is pretty slow up in north cantonment,,, and it is 2gig... I am thinking you all might be talking about something else?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I've sort of been thinking about dropping TV service anyway. I watch very little TV, wife mostly watches stuff on the local channels anyway. Go digital antenna and internet for anything specila we want to watch. If I could get great IS I would probably go that way.

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AT&T Uverse, it's wired. Came to my neighborhood a few months ago. About a million times better than Mediacom.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    well we watch way too much and some off the wall channels you cannot get w/o cable, none of the side services would do, so we are stuck. Cox has a monopoly in Destin except for satellite, and they have DSL internet which is slow. I am gonna move out of Destin and away from Okaloosa County to Walton County, then maybe we will have a different service provider.

I wish we had a satellite dealer on here to come out and figure it all out for me.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All it takes is one corroded connector on the feed or a water soaked cable on a pole somewhere to kill it. I had the same crap with Brighthouse when I lived in Manatee County. Finally one tech cared enough to get his ladder out and get on the pole that had a box that fed 4-5 houses. He said the box was wet and corroded inside. He replaced the box and the line to my house and that fixed everything.

You ain't gonna be happy with satellite anything for internet service. You have not seen slow yet...

My only choice here is ATT U-verse. It's only okay. It's nothing but a hopped up DSL connection. They still use a pair of copper wires to the house instead of coax.

Mediacom Cable serves my hood but they will not run over 300' of feed to the house. They say my run is 420'.

Pray for Verizon FIOS to come to your hood.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AT&T uverse is not available where I am and when I ask when it might be available I'm told "don't hold your breath.

Yeah John, that's my frustration. I know all about comm cables, corrosion etc. They ain't listening.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After I saw John's post about Verizon FIOS I did a search. Not available in my area but showed some options. I think I'm going to stopby there and talk to them. I already have them for cell service. Maybe they have some ideas.

If I can light a fire under the regional guys ass and they fix what I have I'll stay. I don't hold much hope though.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the Verizion internet over cell. It is OK but has a 10 gig bandwith and they keep trying to get me to roll my smart phone (which has unlimited) into it to "save me" $20/month. If you try Excede let me know how it is. I have thought about it but am not sure of having a sat as opposed to cell internet.

Idoono

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not available in my area but showed some options.

I used a Verizon Wireless mobile hotspot when I first moved here but I was grandfatherd in for unlimited data. When they notified me that they were ending the grandfather clause, I switched to ATT. The mobile hotspot works great for normal surfing if you have a good Verizon cell signal. If you do a bunch of downloads you might get burned on data overages. At the time I was having to do large downloads for work. I am considering going back to the mobile hotspot and an antenna if ATT jacks up my bill one more dollar. That's all my brother and his wife have for internet service up between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. I need to check with him on the current costs.

Top Bottom