• Do you mostly buy new or used ammo?

• Never used ammo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ammo prices are crazy period. Reloading (if possible) is the way to go. That said, reloading components since the plague price wise have gone nuts. Using a Lee Loader kit, I can handload a 45-70 lead boolit round for sub $.50 each round. Best price on Ammoseek is around $1.57, in store beast price I’ve seen is around $2.00 per round. Best of luck to all to find the best deals, wheather components (to reload) or rounds to enjoy our sport.
    IMG_7390.png

Last edited:

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s not that simple though right? It’s kind of like the gas market, it’s a blend of what the oil price a barrel was at time of purchase and then what oil is going for now and then you find a price that is somewhere in the middle. Also stored bullets vs new production have pros and cons powder age, ways stored, collector value of the older boxes vs newer print. Reduction of quality with the newer lower standard mass production vs normal production. Timing of sale, gas is high during a hurricane and right now it’s an election year. As bad as we all want a standard price I don’t see it happening. And I just disagree with ammo is a depreciating asset. Brass/copper/Lead all steadily going up along with the cost of the finished product. I haven’t seen any ammo being sold cheaper than it was 5 years ago.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ammo prices are crazy period. Reloading (if possible) is the way to go. That said, reloading components since the plague price wise have gone nuts. Using a Lee Loader kit, I can handload a 45-70 lead boolit round for sub $.50 each round. Best price on Ammoseek is around $1.57, in store beast price I’ve seen is around $2.00 per round. Best of luck to all to find the best deals, wheather components (to reload) or rounds to enjoy our sport. View attachment 285286
    I sure miss the days before reloading caught on. So many powders and primers and brass on the shelves…..

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    There are a a lot of listings that are reaching, but ammo will become worth more than the guns. I just use the ammo seeks/wikiarms etc.. to find best PPR . Unfortunately like mentioned a lot of these dealers take advantage of these search engines by charging exorbitant shipping to get to the top of the list..

Bit of due diligence you'll be able to weed out the crooks and if you're lucky find a dealer that is tax free too..I love used.. but no reloads.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Ammo prices are crazy period. Reloading (if possible) is the way to go. That said, reloading components since the plague price wise have gone nuts. Using a Lee Loader kit, I can handload a 45-70 lead boolit round for sub $.50 each round. Best price on Ammoseek is around $1.57, in store beast price I’ve seen is around $2.00 per round. Best of luck to all to find the best deals, wheather components (to reload) or rounds to enjoy our sport. View attachment 285286
    I bought 3 or 4 Lee Loaders but haven’t used them yet.
    Where did you get that hammer?

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was going to post something similar! I've noticed folks trying to sell ammo for way more than factory new is going for right now. It wasn't a better round at .60/per, it was just scarce and people were willing to pay that. Not the case currently, but just wait, and it will be right back there eventually.

chip5244

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just disagree with ammo is a depreciating asset. Brass/copper/Lead all steadily going up along with the cost of the finished product. I haven’t seen any ammo being sold cheaper than it was 5 years ago.
    I agree with your assessment prior to this quote. You are right about the collector value of boxes and the such. However, when I'm talking about how ammo is a depreciating asset that is in direct comparison to an assets as an investment, not an asset as a store of wealth.

When you make an investment in an assets you want that investment to return a profit above your cost plus the inflationary component. So just the rising cost of brass, bullets, powder and primer is not a profit from your "investment". In that case when you sell a box of 50 for $20 that you paid $10 for you did not make $10 because now the same box of 50 will cost you $20 to replace. Now, if you did not replace the sold ammo and you do sell for more than the REAL inflationary percentage, then yes, you did make a profit and consequently it was an investment.

With all that being said, and if I haven't lost you yet, then I will assume that what you really meant to say is that ammo is a "store of wealth". Meaning, it will always be worth the cost of the components and in times of worry and need it could well exceed that. A direct comparison is gold. Gold is not really an investment but a store of wealth. As prices of raw materials, energy and labor increase so does gold and ammo. If and when either of them are liquidated they would then allow you to buy the same value of differing goods today as they would have 20 years ago, because prices are relative to time, cost and inflation.

Last edited:

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with your assessment prior to this quote. You are right about the collector value of boxes and the such. However, when I'm talking about how ammo is a depreciating asset that is in direct comparison to an assets as an investment, not an asset as a store of wealth.

When you make an investment in an assets you want that investment to return a profit above your cost plus the inflationary component. So just the rising cost of brass, bullets, powder and primer is not a profit from your "investment". In that case when you sell a box of 50 for $20 that you paid $10 for you did not make $10 because now the same box of 50 will cost you $20 to replace. Now, if you did not replace the sold ammo and you do sell for more than the REAL inflationary percentage, then yes, you did make a profit and consequently it was an investment.

With all that being said, and if I haven't lost you yet, then I will assume that what you really meant to say is that ammo is a "store of wealth". Meaning, it will always be worth the cost of the components and in times of worry and need it could well exceed that. A direct comparison is gold. Gold is not really an investment but a store of wealth. As prices of raw materials, energy and labor increase so does gold and ammo. If and when either of them are liquidated they would then allow you to buy the same value of differing goods today as they would have 20 years ago, because prices are relative to time, cost and inflation.
    You lost me at in-depth investment complaint on local open gun forum board lol , whatever makes you feel important man. I just took your post wrong. This does clear it up

Brassman57

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you take the time to look, there are very few powder manufacturers in the United States. They also have been tasked with making for the wars that we (the US) is funding. I used to buy a lot of powers from the old Eastern Europe governments also Russia. That’s all gone. Why? Primers, I had bought from Power Valley over 100 thousand Winchester primers at one time with no problems. My cost was under $20 per thousand after shipping. Now I’m freaking over large rifle primers if you can find them. Bye the way, anyone remember the company in Texas that was going to make tons of primers? Not a word is all most a year. Fiocchi started in there new plant at Little Rock last year but had to import them from Italy before that. Just some random thoughts. But just keep dreaming of 5 cents factory loads, the rest of us have to live in the real world.

Top Bottom