• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife wants to buy her parents a handgun and suggested the Glock 19. I told her since she already owns the 19 (and since I have all the 40's covered) that she should consider something similar but not the same. Eventually she will wind up with it and they always shoot with us anyway. What would you suggest in a 9mm that compares closely to the feel and performance of the G19? I was thinking a S&W 9 compact or shield since I have and enjoy my 40 compact. And I have been forewarned of arming the in-laws :nod:

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The XDM line is pretty nice, have you considered one of those?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about a Walther PPQ? G19 sized, a nicer trigger than a Glock and very accurate.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The XDM line is pretty nice, have you considered one of those?

+1
    I had never considered the XDm line until recently. I ended up with one in .45 (3.8 Compact model) and it has a very good feel to it plus I'm more accurate and like the sight picture over my G19.

steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How's the ppq compare to the pps? I do have the pps and like it. And the xdm series is another great idea...almost forgot about those

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 on the PPQ. However, I prefer the original design over the 2nd gen with the traditional magazine release.

Same here, I read the other day that they are going to continue to make the original as well as the M2. One of the advantages to the original is the ability to use P99 and the Magnum Research Baby Eagle mags in addition to PPQ mags.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone compare the 9mm M&P shield to the M&P 9 compact?

I haven't but those are really in two different categories. Shield is a single stack sub-compact. While the Compact is a double-stack compact. One is less concealable with more capacity, while the other is extremely concealable with a lot less capacity.

That would really depend on what you're wanting. If you're wanting something more like a G19, then that would be the M&P 9mm compact.

FWIW, I second the XDm line. I've owned the full-size, and the compact model. They are great guns.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep drooling over the CZ P07 DUTY..never shot it but I like the look and feel of it..similar in size and capacity of G19..has option of either safety or de-cocker

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep drooling over the CZ P07 DUTY..never shot it but I like the look and feel of it..similar in size and capacity of G19..has option of either safety or de-cocker

I got to shoot one of these a couple months ago. A sweet shooter. If you can find one, get it!!! I promise you won't be disappointed.

To the OP, I'm sure the in-laws would love it too. It is very comfortable to shoot.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is my daily carry.. love this gun you can run it cocked and locked.. or decocker.. has less felt recoil then a G19 and feels like a wet dream in your hand

tiberius

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I got one of these last year and I absolutely love it. Looks great, feels great, shoots great. It's very nicely balanced. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that extra magazines are not exactly cheap. Still, it's probably my favorite 9mm...after my CZ75, of course.

Top Bottom