APOD Firearms

IDPA 8/23/2014 Regular Match (With Rifle Side Match)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Holy hell, I just looked at Savage's time... He's not allowed to come back!

I KNOW!!!
    He made that pistol look damn good.
    If I could shoot a 1911 as fast as he shoots a Glock, I'd feel like quite the Pistolero.

Good on ya bud! Maybe you could teach us a thing or two.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All this talk and seeing you guys look all tacticool in the pics has inspired me to give idpa a shot. The range I belong to holds matches the first Saturday of every month. Now I'm wondering if I should trade off one of my 19's for a 17 or 34 or if I should just stick what I am comfortable with...

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All this talk and seeing you guys look all tacticool in the pics has inspired me to give idpa a shot. The range I belong to holds matches the first Saturday of every month. Now I'm wondering if I should trade off one of my 19's for a 17 or 34 or if I should just stick what I am comfortable with...

Just stick with what you know, being successful and shooting fast times with good hits seems to be more about efficiency of motion, drawing, transitioning from target to target, reloading and accurate shooting, than the gun itself. Savage came out there and smoked all of the forum members but Huk with a bone stock 19.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Just stick with what you know, being successful and shooting fast times with good hits seems to be more about efficiency of motion, drawing, transitioning from target to target, reloading and accurate shooting, than the gun itself. Savage came out there and smoked all of the forum members but Huk with a bone stock 19.

Yup. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    (I was trying to justify getting another gun fellas, geesh)

I honestly shoot my 26 better than all of them, but I think I will start playing with the 19 more. What is the maximum distance you guys shoot?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    (I was trying to justify getting another gun fellas, geesh)

I honestly shoot my 26 better than all of them, but I think I will start playing with the 19 more. What is the maximum distance you guys shoot?

IIRC, it's 25 in the qualifier stage 3.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think I will run the 19 on my first time out to see how I do. Does it have to be stock? Right now I have an extended take down lever, extended slide release, 3.5 lb connector and TFOs on the one I plan on using. I also have all the stock parts if I need to switch em back, but I really dont want to mess with the sights. It is also an RTF2 model. I thought I read somewhere that model wasnt allowed. Do you guys know anything about that?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think I will run the 19 on my first time out to see how I do. Does it have to be stock? Right now I have an extended take down lever, extended slide release, 3.5 lb connector and TFOs on the one I plan on using. I also have all the stock parts if I need to switch em back, but I really dont want to mess with the sights. It is also an RTF2 model. I thought I read somewhere that model wasnt allowed. Do you guys know anything about that?

I don't know about the extended take down lever, but the slide release is fine as long as its OEM glock, the sights and connector are fine, since its not a Major match, I don't think anyone will care what you run.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can I run my gun as in IDPA?

With those modifications, your gun would be legal in the Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP) rather than the Stock Service Pistol Division (SSP). ESP allows for more modifications, but there really isn't that big a time difference between the two divisions. I refer you to the Rulebook (www.idpa.com/rules), which is somewhat longer than it used to be, but you should have an idea about the rules before you shoot anyway so you have a foundation. We look forward to you coming out and joining us for a great time. Check out section 8.2 beginning on page 31 to Section 8.2.2.3.5. That details the differences in equipment modifications allowed between SSP and ESP. There are only two seconds difference in scores between ESP and SSP for the same class within a division.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    FUPA's in Jax, so regrettably, he won't be joining the BFF's crew. Good info though. I'll be shooting ESP next time around.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the heads up HP, there sure is a lot to it. Classifiers, sanctioned matches etc etc I'm really confused now. Looks like I will just be spectating the first match...

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the heads up HP, there sure is a lot to it. Classifiers, sanctioned matches etc etc I'm really confused now. Looks like I will just be spectating the first match...

Review the new shooter briefing here: http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?19026-IDPA-ERGC-New-Shooter-Briefing

Go to shoot, don't just watch.

To break it down into the most simplistic terms:

observe the basic rules of firearms safety:
    All guns are always loaded.
    Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

keep your pistol pointed down range
    do not handle your pistol outside of the designated safe zone
    do not handle magazines or ammunition inside of the designated safe zone
    follow the range officers specific commands when he issues them.

When you go, take your pistol in a case separate from your other gear and once you determine where the safe area is, take your pistol and holster to the safe area (in its case) and put your unloaded pistol / holster on. From this point forward, until the range officer tells you to load and make ready, don't touch the pistol.

Now leave the safe area and load up your mags (if you haven't already), I usually carry 3 to the firing line, one loaded with 11, 2 loaded with 10 in my mag carrier.

There should be plenty of folks there that will help you, just say "I'm new" and they will take care of ya. If you go and just watch, after the first stage you will be kicking yourself...

Savage

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep. That worked for me. I said "I am new" and everyone helped me out, BUT then I started shooting good (hmmm?) and everyone said I can't come back....haha.....I really had a fun time and there are a great group of guys out there!

Top Bottom