• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bull203

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey guys,
    Wondering if anyone had a better way to cut foam is pelican case. I have used box cutters before, but was wondering if anyone had used wire cutters or anything else to get better results. Thanks in advance...

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been researching this for over six months, and the best method available to the DIYer, is to use a hotwire cutter which you can build yourself. If you have to use a knife, an electric carving knife works the best. The method shown in the video above will result in a very rough looking job with jagged edges. For some people that's fine as long as it protects the items inside. However, being a perfectionist myself, I want a technique that not only protects the items, but looks professional as well.

No matter what you cut the foam with, it is absolutely necessary to keep the cutting blade or wire 90* to the foam surface and that's where most people get into trouble. Rather that tracing around the item with a Sharpie, which produces a sloppy fit at best, trace the items on a piece of white poster board which has been cut to the exact size of your foam. Use the pencil point of a compass (drafting tool used to draw circles) which will help keep the pencil lead vertical and close to the item's edge (remove the sharp point to prevent snagging on the foam). Next, clean up your lines and make sure everything is square to the edges of the case. Rule of thumb is at least 1" of foam between items and the sides of the case everywhere. When your template is ready, carefully cut out each item then place the template on the back side of the foam and pin it in place using upholstery 'T' pins or tape. Pay attention to the orientation of the items since you are now working with a 'negative' diagram of your layout. Here again, forget the Sharpie and get you a soapstone or fine point chalk marker set from a sewing or craft shop, Walmart, etc. and trace around the inside of each item onto the foam. The reason for using the chalk marker is because the lines can be removed by wiping with a damp cloth, and the foam can be inverted later on if you want to, without having ugly black lines showing. Much easier to correct too if you make a mistake...and you will. :doh:

Here is a step by step tutorial of how to build and use the hot wire cutter. The thread was started in 2006, is now 47 pages long, and contains many good ideas, pictures, and improvements. http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695&page=1

I have also found several companies that will cut your foam for you using CNC machines designed for this purpose. All you have to do is supply the AutoCAD file or precise measurements and photos of what you want where. Of course this is a very expensive option.

I'm also looking at upgrading to a better quality closed cell foam, but none of it is cheap. My problem though, is I keep changing things every month so I'm afraid to cut anything until I get the final products...if that's possible.

Here is a simple layout of one that was cut with a hot wire cutter. Notice the detail and precise fit.

-4.jpg

Attachments

• -4.jpg
      -4.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 559
    Last edited:

Bull203

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the great ideas so far, I have read through that tread several times and I guess I just couldn't justify spending the money to build the wire cutter for one case, might try to see if anyone near me has a need and combining resources. I'll check out the video as well.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the great ideas so far, I have read through that tread several times and I guess I just couldn't justify spending the money to build the wire cutter for one case, might try to see if anyone near me has a need and combining resources. I'll check out the video as well.

That's why I haven't built one yet either. In your case, I would use the template method I described, which is pretty cheap, and then use an electric carving knife to make the cuts. If you don't already have one, I bought mine for less than $20.00 at K-Mart.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A band saw works great also. Where you make the initial cut into the template simply glue back together.

Bull203

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, I checked the garage last night and I have about half the stuff needed to build the wire cutter, I'll post some pics when I get done, and off anyone is in the area and wants to give it a go once it's built, shoot me a pm

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I checked the garage last night and I have about half the stuff needed to build the wire cutter, I'll post some pics when I get done, and off anyone is in the area and wants to give it a go once it's built, shoot me a pm

Another thing I learned is don't scrimp on the table size. If you do, the foam will sag around it and your cuts will not be accurate. Ideally, the table needs to be big enough to support the entire piece of foam as you move it around, but that's not real practical when it comes to storage, so some other means of temporary support may be required. Also, the table needs to be very smooth so the foam will slide easily like on a piece of kitchen counter top, etc. OSB or particle board does not work very well at all.

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use his company for things like this. He works with the custom foam company to do the work. They do laser and water jet cutting. Very professional work. I'm working on getting the info. To pass to you guys. I just got to Hawaii today and I'm whooped. As soon as I get some sleep I'll work on getting the info.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought pelican cases came with the pre cut foam? If that's the case what I do is trace the gun with a pen and then slowly peel out one piece at a time. Always make the shape a bit small and then keep taking off little sections until it fits. If you get the solid piece I've always heard that putting the foam in the freezer overnight helps make it easier to cut.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use his company for things like this. He works with the custom foam company to do the work. They do laser and water jet cutting. Very professional work. I'm working on getting the info. To pass to you guys. I just got to Hawaii today and I'm whooped. As soon as I get some sleep I'll work on getting the info.

Thanks, I would love to have mine done that way!

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought pelican cases came with the pre cut foam? If that's the case what I do is trace the gun with a pen and then slowly peel out one piece at a time. Always make the shape a bit small and then keep taking off little sections until it fits. If you get the solid piece I've always heard that putting the foam in the freezer overnight helps make it easier to cut.

A lot of the Pelican cases do come with the 'Pick-N-Pluck' foam, especially the smaller ones. However, for larger rifle cases containing heavier items, this method doesn't hold up well to wear and tear. The edges already take a beating every time you put an item in or take it out, so having a grid pre-cut into the foam just accelerates this process. One way to slow this deterioration process is to use Plasti-Dip to reinforce the foam. Plasti-Dip also comes in various colors, so that gives you some customization options as well.

This video explains the process very well.

I can see the advantage of freezing the foam first to make it stiffer, but I would think you would have to cut it very fast because the foam would return to room temperature in a matter of a few minutes since the foam is dry.

Top Bottom