• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Hurricanes have a way of hardening those of us who live through them and survive in the aftermath.

One of my college housemates was from south Florida and went home for the arrival of Andrew in ‘92.

His stories about looting, turning off the generators at night to hide their location from others and standing watch at night with his 870 still resonate with me to this day.

We are only hours from total societal collapse.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Hurricanes have a way of hardening those of us who live through them and survive in the aftermath.

One of my college housemates was from south Florida and went home for the arrival of Andrew in ‘92.

His stories about looting, turning off the generators at night to hide their location from others and standing watch at night with his 870 still resonate with me to this day.

We are only hours from total societal collapse.
    The veneer of civilization is thinner than most people would believe.

IronBeard

Master
    Besides a generator to do it right & SAFE you really should have a transfer switch panel (ideally w/ meters to monitor how much load is on each leg) wired into your home. I did it and it its much more convenient and efficient than dragging extension cords through the house.

NG whole house generators are nice...as long as the natural gas pumping stations have power to run them! Also the Gas company shuts off gas to the island prior to a hurricane hitting in which case a NG generator is not a viable option in places like that.
    Curious, did you DIY the transfer panel, or pay someone? For context, contractors in my area assume everyone is a millionaire and estimate/charge accordingly. TIA.

5lima30ret

Master
    Curious, did you DIY the transfer panel, or pay someone? For context, contractors in my area assume everyone is a millionaire and estimate/charge accordingly. TIA.
    I did mine myself with a neighbor who is a retired master electrician "supervising". The panel work is pretty straight forward all the wires come pre-labeled. The running the 10-3 wire through the attic and down through the eves is a PIA! Mine is a Reliance Pro-Trans 2, 6 circuit panel w/ dual meters. It comes as a complete kit with the weatherproof outside connection and everything except wire and conduit. About $325. Worth every penny after Hurricane Sally!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    The veneer of civilization is thinner than most people would believe.
    in some areas the veneer is worn off..
    try walking in Brooklyn ,ny or s chiago, e. st louis, detroit..

Raven

Master
    Katrina

Grandparents lived in Bay Minette and remnants of it passed thru. Grandad was on hospice and an oxygen machine. Dad stayed with them to keep the generator running. Grandad made it through and died shortly thereafter. The funeral director complained he might not have enough gas for the hearse. Dad carried gas to the funeral home just in case.
    God have mercy

5lima30ret

Master
    I bought a surplus military diesel generator from a guy on marketplace that re wires them for single phase. And paid an electrician to install a new breaker box with a transfer switch. All total I think I'm in it for $5,000.
    Diesel is definitely the best way to go if can find one decently priced. All the used ones in my area spent most their life on shrimp boats and are wore out or rusty.

capt.joe

Master
    That fellow I got mine from flips them as a hobby. He's an electrical engineer on a train. He lives next to the Catholic church on saufley field rd. Mine has about 1500 hrs and is powered by a Perkins 2.2. it has a nice aluminum enclosure.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I guess I was lucky. Our power was out 3 days after Sally and our NG genny worked fine.
    We invested in a Genrac after Sally and I’m glad we did.

Southalabama

Master
    This is the only time I remember gas going off locally. It went boom.

IronBeard

Master
    I did mine myself with a neighbor who is a retired master electrician "supervising". The panel work is pretty straight forward all the wires come pre-labeled. The running the 10-3 wire through the attic and down through the eves is a PIA! Mine is a Reliance Pro-Trans 2, 6 circuit panel w/ dual meters. It comes as a complete kit with the weatherproof outside connection and everything except wire and conduit. About $325. Worth every penny after Hurricane Sally!
    Thx for that, gears turning...

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I have natural gas in my house but that is only as long as the natural gas pumping station have power to pump. Some were out for days after Sally.
    Buddy of mine lives in Houston. He thought he was prepared with a whole home genrac too, until Harvey hit and the city turned off the NG.
    Lessons to learn from and live by. Always need a backup plan.
    One is none and two are one..... let that sink in...

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom