• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Yep, we're in it 'til November.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Start stocking up based on your previous experiences with storms , before all the media being funded by the big box stores start beating the war drums ,"a hurricane is coming , a hurricane is coming. And , that will get all the new comers epically , starting a "feeding frenzy" on building supplies and non perishable food items

Beached

Expert
    Liquor stores do really well during hurricane scares. And batteries the bunny will be able to buy a Mercedes. Be seeing semis full of plywood going in box stores.

IronBeard

Master
    What amazes me is the idiots that buy a generator and (1) 5 gal gas can when there is a hint hurricane in the Gulf. Then sell it after hurricane season :rolleyes:
    Most of these idiots don't realize how much fuel a B&S fume generator uses:oops:
    No sense trying to reason with someone that knows everything facebook/the internet told them. Have always rolled my eyes as the new kids in town have every tree in sight cut down 'cause someone convinced them they'll fall on their house, kill or maim all inside, and probably take their souls in the process.

Never mind it took those trees decades to grow to the height they are. Ya think they might have weathered a hurricane, or two?

Take heart. These are the same people we share the roadways with. Most likely the ones doing the speed limit, minus 5, in the left lane, because I have to make a left turn in about 5 miles, and no one ever "lets me in." :rolleyes:

MarkS

Master
    Okaloosa county hasn’t had a major impact from a hurricane since the tornadoes from hurricane Ivan in 2004 so we’re overdue.

Southalabama

Master
    We often reference major events as defining points of our life. One such event for me was Ivan. I’m still dealing with some of the effects.

With every event I do an analysis of my preps. I don’t make the same ones again.

kendive

Master
    What amazes me is the idiots that buy a generator and (1) 5 gal gas can when there is a hint hurricane in the Gulf. Then sell it after hurricane season :rolleyes:
    Most of these idiots don't realize how much fuel a B&S fume generator uses:oops:
    I'm ready to test out the solar and whole house battery setup. But yes I go out and shut the house down all the time to test it out.

Welldoya

Master
    I’ve also talked to people that have a 5500 watt generator and they have 2 five gallon jugs of gas. Well, that’s good for maybe a day.
    Personally, I fill up 15 five gallon jugs when a hurricane enters the gulf but I started running the 2,000 watt Honda more. It only uses 3 gallons a day.

Bay Ranger

Master
    We often reference major events as defining points of our life. One such event for me was Ivan. I’m still dealing with some of the effects.

With every event I do an analysis of my preps. I don’t make the same ones again.
    Lived on the MS Gulf Coast during Katrina. New Orleans got all of the publicity. In MS things were much worse. Post Katrina was one of the reasons we moved here.

5lima30ret

Master
    Besides a generator to do it right & SAFE you really should have a transfer switch panel (ideally w/ meters to monitor how much load is on each leg) wired into your home. I did it and it its much more convenient and efficient than dragging extension cords through the house.

NG whole house generators are nice...as long as the natural gas pumping stations have power to run them! Also the Gas company shuts off gas to the island prior to a hurricane hitting in which case a NG generator is not a viable option in places like that.

2004 Ivan?
    Still have trees in my swamp that die each year from effects of Ivan. My pecan trees are just now getting a proper crown. Fences are needing replacement before their normal lifespan because of damage from Ivan. On the bright side, I have had something to do for 20 years, if I feel like it.

MarkS

Master
    Jamaica is about to get hammered by Beryl. Say a prayer for all those in its path.
    IMG_7835.jpeg

FLT

Master
    Frances and Jeanne in 2004 altered my life permanently, and not in a good way. I’ve felt displaced and restless ever since. I lost a lot of personal things that can’t be replaced and they also changed look of the country side irreparably, where 100 year old oak trees stood for as long as I can remember, there are now Brazilian peppertrees an invasive species that continue to consume the country side.

Frances and Jeanne in 2004 altered my life permanently, and not in a good way. I’ve felt displaced and restless ever since. I lost a lot of personal things that can’t be replaced and they also changed look of the country side irreparably, where 100 year old oak trees stood for as long as I can remember, there are now Brazilian peppertrees an invasive species that continue to consume the country side.
    You are right. I had 80 pecan trees and shady pastures before Ivan. Lost 30 trees from Ivan, and 10 from Dennis. My property is nothing like when I bought it.

Southalabama

Master
    Lived on the MS Gulf Coast during Katrina. New Orleans got all of the publicity. In MS things were much worse. Post Katrina was one of the reasons we moved here.
    Katrina

Grandparents lived in Bay Minette and remnants of it passed thru. Grandad was on hospice and an oxygen machine. Dad stayed with them to keep the generator running. Grandad made it through and died shortly thereafter. The funeral director complained he might not have enough gas for the hearse. Dad carried gas to the funeral home just in case.

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom