• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking at buying a used Howa 1500, only a few months old. Hogue stock, SS barrel, 308 caliber. I will use it to hunt deer in south Mississippi. Please let me know your thoughts about the brand. Thanks.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Love them! I just gifted my older 308 to my son for his birthday last year. Pic below, it's in a modified Hogue where I epoxied a corner off a piece of 80/20 aluminum in the forearm and bedded the action & DBM, so now it takes AICS pattern mags. I've bought 2 more, both with 16" heavy threaded barrels, a 308 & 6.5cm- pictured in Axiom stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20230718_091039728.jpg
      IMG_20230718_091039728.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 22
    • IMG_20230718_090324037_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20230718_090324037_HDR.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love them! I just gifted my older 308 to my son for his birthday last year. Pic below, it's in a modified Hogue where I epoxied a corner off a piece of 80/20 aluminum in the forearm and bedded the action & DBM, so now it takes AICS pattern mags. I've bought 2 more, both with 16" heavy threaded barrels, a 308 & 6.5cm- pictured in Axiom stock.
    Incredible! And I actually know what 80/20 aluminum is. What are your thoughts on the factory Hogue stock? On another gun forum, a man said they are too light, and it affects accuracy.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Incredible! And I actually know what 80/20 aluminum is. What are your thoughts on the factory Hogue stock? On another gun forum, a man said they are too light, and it affects accuracy.
    I've never really had problems, they do make one with a full aluminum bedding block, but most are just pillar bedded. The Axiom gets a lot of hate because it is really flexible. I actually modified it the same way first, then decided to do the Hogue at the same time.
    I successfully hunted for years with it unmodified. Boyds, Bell & Carlson and Stocky's all make nice upgraded stocks and there are plenty of chassis if you're looking to get into competition. I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of buying one. The HACT triggers are decent and easy to modify/adjust down to about 3#.

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never really had problems, they do make one with a full aluminum bedding block, but most are just pillar bedded. The Axiom gets a lot of hate because it is really flexible. I actually modified it the same way first, then decided to do the Hogue at the same time.
    I successfully hunted for years with it unmodified. Boyds, Bell & Carlson and Stocky's all make nice upgraded stocks and there are plenty of chassis if you're looking to get into competition. I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of buying one. The HACT triggers are decent and easy to modify/adjust down to about 3#.
    Thanks. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain. The gun is a Howa 1500. Bought new in Oct. 2023, so only a few months old. It has the black Hogue stock, SS action/barrel, threaded 22" barrel, in 308. The price is $450. Is this a good deal on a used (nearly new) Howa 1500? Thanks.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Thanks. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain. The gun is a Howa 1500. Bought new in Oct. 2023, so only a few months old. It has the black Hogue stock, SS action/barrel, threaded 22" barrel, in 308. The price is $450. Is this a good deal on a used (nearly new) Howa 1500? Thanks.
    Yes, I think so, especially in SS & threaded. The 2 I bought new last year were over $500 each.

boondoggle

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My first target bolt rifle was a 1500 20" heavy barrel with the hogue stock. It was pretty accurate out of the box. Dropped it in a B&C M40 with the full aluminum bedding block and it became very accurate. Shot the Berger 185 Juggernaut with VV N-540 and Lapua brass. If I made the wind call it would ring the 12" plate all day long at 1000 yards.

I recently had it cut down to 16.5" and now I run the Berger 155.5 fullbore in front of SW match rifle and it shoots them as well if not better.

It's a sample of one but I've had a great experience with mine.

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first target bolt rifle was a 1500 20" heavy barrel with the hogue stock. It was pretty accurate out of the box. Dropped it in a B&C M40 with the full aluminum bedding block and it became very accurate. Shot the Berger 185 Juggernaut with VV N-540 and Lapua brass. If I made the wind call it would ring the 12" plate all day long at 1000 yards.

I recently had it cut down to 16.5" and now I run the Berger 155.5 fullbore in front of SW match rifle and it shoots them as well if not better.

It's a sample of one but I've had a great experience with mine.
    Thank you for your thorough response

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've owned a nice Howa 1500 in 308. No complaints there. My custom 358 Win is built on a Howa 1500 (originally a 22-250) and is an absolute tack driver. If you use wide flat nosed bullets (mine are cast) then it will have feed issues but that can be solved with a single stack AICS detachable mag conversion.

Top Bottom