• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fast is smooth and smooth is fast
    Does it matter how smooth or fast if your struck by a round prior to beginning your smooth, fast draw? Once you have taken that punch in the mouth, what's plan B? Do you have the determination to execute Plan B? Retorical ❓

Derek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Does it matter how smooth or fast if your struck by a round prior to beginning your smooth, fast draw? Once you have taken that punch in the mouth, what's plan B?
    I can only recommend you practice with your carry weapon or any weapon. Repetitions are important and a good way to get faster and smoother.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can only recommend you practice with your carry weapon or any weapon. Repetitions are important and a good way to get faster and smoother.
    Practice is the only preparation for actual experience. As Bowhunter6 mentioned, an actual experience may change your methods of practice. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I meant to tell you your times on the draw are pretty solid. Most folks can’t meet those times in a repeatable fashion.
    But it is only that one time without a clock that it actually matters how you perform. Adrenaline can either hinder or improve your performance,unfortunately it is only under actual duress that one gets such answers. The problem is that past performance is not an indication of future success. JMHO YMMV. Each time you scratch that mark it is a watershed, and the conclusion is still uncertain?

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every time this topic comes up there are always the folks that like to sit sagely behind their keyboard and criticize people’s practice by saying “there’s no shot timers in a gunfight” or some such statement that dismisses or undermines someone trying to better themselves and their chances.

Another version of this is when people dismiss competition shooters by saying some version of “targets don’t shoot back.” I’ve been on ranges with SF units and no one was shooting back at them during practice either and their drills looked just like the ones pretty much everyone else is running these days.

Quit bashing people’s efforts. Be glad they are trying.

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE... but...

Anyone desiring to experience action/reaction; situational awareness' true benefits vs. blanket statements of such, and actually learn to OODA, take a good Force on Force class chalked full of discretionary shooting drills... then come back here and state whether or not your opinions on the matter are the same.

It will also help you determine "how fast you need to be".

I wish I had the funds to invest in FoF gear, it's a great eye-opener, not to mention a fun way to train and learn. Any wealthy folks out there want to spot me lol?
    Get off the “X” .

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About ABlaster , I’ve been in the gun game for more than 50 years . I’ve been privileged to watch some of the best in the world practice as well as compete . None of them were more dedicated than he is to Improving his game. He can walk the walk with the best of them. Any thing he has to say is worth remembering.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At no time have I stated that practice, like timers are of no use. So don't kick up your heels! But your world class training for on the clock events shall change when the goal is to improve during actual experiences, and it changes the second you have an actual experience. In sporting events they have rules, there are no rules in a fire fight so how can you cheat? The only rule in actual experience is that you must survive! You don't even need to make the other guy fail to survive as long as you can render him unable to shoot again. Now you practice whatever disciple you feel comfortable with until you feel confident that you can perform during an actual experience. Then once you survive your actual experience you search for other training methods that make up for the failures you learned from experience that you originally trained for. JMHO YMMV.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have my doubts that he was ever the real deal. But giving him the benefit of the doubt , if he was then he’s failed to realize that a man in his 70’s is but a shadow of the bad ass he once was.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does it matter how smooth or fast if your struck by a round prior to beginning your smooth, fast draw? Once you have taken that punch in the mouth, what's plan B? Do you have the determination to execute Plan B? Retorical ❓
    Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face.

Trooper stayed in the fight and finished it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Others can correct me if I’m wrong, but a lot of time you come off as trying to be the great sage on the mountain pissing excellence onto the rest of the plebes and it seems really condescending.
    Sorry if you take it as condescending. But perhaps the reason folks practice shooting one handed with their off hand is just in case they take a round and don't have their dominant hand available. Along with other various shooting positions. That style of training can be on or off a clock. No matter how much you train, your training changes after every after action report. So when you say you need to be mentally flexible, that's probably the best training. The more diverse mentally, the more exposure to situations that force you to think and accept new possibilities, the better prepared you may be when or if you are required to withdraw your sidearm. Practice is familiarity, practice isn't perfect, but practice is required. That's why they have at a minimum annual certifications.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have my doubts that he was ever the real deal. But giving him the benefit of the doubt , if he was then he’s failed to realize that a man in his 70’s is but a shadow of the bad ass he once was.
    Reality? If you make it into your 70's the reality is that being bad ass isn't what folks think it is. But perhaps the 100 rounds a day Uncle Sam provided for primary weapons training, combined with the abundance of after action reports to provide just enough mental diversity that it allowed me to survive. But that doesn't mean that I don't question if I could do once, what I once did?? But reality is accepting that age and lack of continuous practice dulls reactions, stamina, and abilities. So perhaps in your 70's you answer the doorbell with your sidearm already drawn, cocked and locked, instead of holsted in Israeli carry? Old age inhibits the tiny muscles that control dexterity even more than adrenaline, but without the proper mental state, the firefight is lost before it begins. JMHO YMMV. PS: Condition 3 carry was taught by the EXPERTS at one time. But training changes. https://www.ammoman.com/blog/the-th...arry requires you to,is pointed at the target.

Last edited:

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Doesn’t seem like anyone addressed the slow ass example of Wyatt Earp surviving countless gun battles with never so much as a scratch saying “I take my time as fast as I can” and being a notorious slow draw. If you must be fast and train to be fast, how can one explain his success ??????

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom