• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    How fast do you need to be able to draw, fire, and connect with the bad guy ? Wyatt Earp was known for being accurate but not nearly as fast as some of the most ruthless gunslingers in the Wild West. He was once’s asked to describe his draw and style, his answer was “I take my time as fast as I can”. Everything I have read about gunfights is lots of bullets are fired, very few connect. Meaning bad guy is spraying and praying, and yes he gets lucky every now and then. In my opinion a cool head, steady calm movements are much more important then, speed draws and seeing how fast you can engage. Thoughts ?

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just as fast as the other party involved gives you. IMO being as fast as you accurately can just opens up your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At first thought it seems entirely dependent on the situation. I have said for a long time if my life comes down to a fast draw then my tactics and/or situational awareness has failed me.

World champions draw out of speed holsters with an accurate first shot around .7 seconds to a <11 yard target. That should give people an idea where they are.

It doesn’t take that long to wait for your eye to get some view of the sights. Something like .05 to .1 seconds last I checked. After that it’s all on the trigger control.

I will also say that a draw to a single shot can be accomplished quite a bit faster than the first shot of a planned pair or string. For a single shot your grip doesn’t have to be on point like it does to have recoil control.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Another oldie applies, practice makes perfect.

Fast draw is not as important as accurate shot placement. But with the right training, it is all part of the skill set that will keep you alive.

If you carry a pistol, and have not had advanced training; get some....unless your a gangbanger, then carry on sideways sally!

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Or ya can think outside the box. Just be the guy standing there with ya hands in your coat pockets. So he thinks... little does he know you planned ahead and have a revolver in there and aimed at him long before he thought about pointing a gun at you. Draw time -60 secs or more. Accuracy +600 percent lol. Look on the perps face, priceless!:cool:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Slow isn’t fast, even if it’s smooth. Fast is fast.

Be fast
    Don’t suck

I think the whole slow-smooth-fast thing gets used way too much to describe the phenomenon that efficiency looks unhurried. People hear that and they don’t train ever train at a speed where they can’t hit anything.

Do it. Put 6-8 rounds on a target literally as fast as you can and see what happens. Speed doesn’t cause mistakes, it merely amplifies mistakes that are already present. Shooting like that doesn’t allow you time to fix those mistakes on the way like you can when you’re shooting slow.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All things are relevant! If you begin your draw after you are rxing live fire it never seems fast enough. If you are initiating contact speed of draw isn't really as relevant. No matter what, accurate first round shot placement is most critical. Follow up round placement is secondary. Lighting fast draw speed that ends up in a first round miss is probably the least critical element in surviving. JMHO YMMV.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Smooth isn’t fast. Fast is fast.

Be fast
    Don’t suck

I think the whole slow-smooth-fast thing gets used way too much to describe the phenomenon that efficiency looks unhurried. People hear that and they don’t train ever train at a speed where they can’t hit anything.

Do it. Put 6-8 rounds on a target literally as fast as you can and see what happens. Speed doesn’t cause mistakes, it merely amplifies mistakes that are already present. Shooting like that doesn’t allow you time to fix those mistakes on the way like you can when you’re shooting slow.

I’m going to say early in this thread that I expect to hear a lot of weird and strange opinions in it!
    :p: So, I guess the phrase "aim small, miss small" is a weird and silly opinion too?

Picked that one up in FL LEO Basic Rookie School after the military. Share some of your training theories or sayings?

Any involving on balancing on a ball while shooting? We are all eyes!

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did edit it to say that ”slow isn’t fast, even if it’s smooth!”

It made what I was trying to say clearer, and I was hoping I could catch it in time

but I was slow…

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Another oldie applies, practice makes perfect.

Fast draw is not as important as accurate shot placement. But with the right training, it is all part of the skill set that will keep you alive.

If you carry a pistol, and have not had advanced training; get some....unless your a gangbanger, then carry on sideways sally!
    Agree

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I did edit it to say that ”slow isn’t fast, even if it’s smooth!”

It made what I was trying to say clearer, and I was hoping I could catch it in time

but I was slow…
    Ah, but if you get some quality training you will learn; and not be so slow that an old man beats you on a keyboard, grasshopper!

lol, have a great week; and get some training if you are carrying a firearm. Best advise I share with anyone.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Timers, clocks, don't shoot. They specifically don't ever shoot first. Training is what you rely upon when the first round whizzes past your ear. One way speed timing is nothing more than training. Like MIKE said " Everyone has a plan until you hit them in the mouth". The ability to repeat the actions of training when under fire usually determines who is tried by twelve and who is carried by six. Hesitation when action is required is the biggest Killer. JMHO YMMV.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Or ya can think outside the box. Just be the guy standing there with ya hands in your coat pockets. So he thinks... little does he know you planned ahead and have a revolver in there and aimed at him long before he thought about pointing a gun at you. Draw time -60 secs or more. Accuracy +600 percent lol. Look on the perps face, priceless!:cool:
    That's a Chicago street Draw. Street cops carried hammerless S&W in their coat pockets. You are correct. It is the fastest draw.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :p: So, I guess the phrase "aim small, miss small" is a weird and silly opinion too?

Picked that one up in FL LEO Basic Rookie School after the military. Share some of your training theories or sayings?

Any involving on balancing on a ball while shooting? We are all eyes!

I honestly can't tell if you're kidding or calling me out!

Edit: Because I actually did share a recoil control drill in one of my posts on this thread :cool:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom