• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First off, I am handy and should be capable of doing this but was not sure if it was right or there was a better way?

I am enclosing my back porch into a conditioned space more like a Florida room. I have an outlet on the porch on one side but want another on the other side. Can I just pull the existing outlet and tie into the power and run a line to the other side? This outlet is on its own breaker along with another outdoor outlet and back porch light. The other outlet is rarely used and lights just turned on as needed. Adding an LED tv to the new outlet and the existing will have a window unit plugged into it. Should be fine right?

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Should be no issues. Just be sure to use the correct wire size for the breaker and 3 way it off the existing outlet. Code would probably make you use arc fault on it if you were to need a permit/inspection. You could do that at the breaker easily enough if needed. It probably has a ground fault now since it was/is a porch/outdoor (either at the breaker or outlet). You'll need to keep the ground fault in place because of the outdoor outlet.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not much of a draw from the tv and lights, should be fine in a standard 15a circuit even with the window unit unless it’s a Mack daddy unit.

Agree with adding the arc/ground fault breaker at the panel.

Planning to run in conduit or romex it? Suggest planning led light fixtures and any other needs on the same protected circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Should be no issues. Just be sure to use the correct wire size for the breaker and 3 way it off the existing outlet. Code would probably make you use arc fault on it if you were to need a permit/inspection. You could do that at the breaker easily enough if needed. It probably has a ground fault now since it was/is a porch/outdoor (either at the breaker or outlet). You'll need to keep the ground fault in place because of the outdoor outlet.
    Your mention of permit/inspection reminds me of what I encountered in Okaloosa. By their code, enclosing my patio made it indoor living space and my once outdoor outlet an indoor outlet, so I had to install another outdoor outlet, outside. Really :rolleyes:

Top Bottom