• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would start your search with a GOOGLE. The weak point of ANY hog trap is it's gate. IMO a double swing is much mo bedda than a guillotine type. The swing,especially the double swing will allow hog after hog to enter. The guillotine type,when the door slams shut the hogs cannot get out, however no more can get in. A good door set-up will cost you $250 or so. You might be able to find the plans on the internet and build your own. The rest of the trap are simply cattle panels or something similar. Check with Tractor Supply for these.

One of the very most important things to remember with hog traps is to OVER engineer(WAAAAAAY OVER !!). You get a 300# boar hog in there and a hellova lot of violence will occur. If the trap is not sturdy you might just have to go into the next county to retrieve it. --- SAWMAN

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good advice SM but funny as hell you way you discribe it.

Word!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    AND.......... > Some years ago I took a trip up to the Camden area to look at a club that bordered the Alabama River. The guy was telling me about the size of the hogs that they had on his club. He showed me a series of game camera pics of a 350'ish pound boar hog that had just entered a very well engineered and staked down trap. In the series of pics it showed the boar hooking the wire and lifting it completely off the ground,rebar stakes and all. He commenced to get tangled in it and quickly leave with it.

The guy told me that members followed the drag marks that the wire made,thru a couple smallish cedar swamps and thru several small streams. After a half mile they quit looking figuring that if they did find the trap with the hog still in it, two of the guys were too old to climb a tree and the third guy didn't bring enough gun. --- SAWMAN

midway

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    got me a hog trap from a fellow near cantonment
    priced them on the internet as well as tractor supply
    he built me one for around 250
    4x8x4 dimensions
    wouldnt of saved much if id of done it

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    ive heard those corral traps are better. i was thinking to check them every day or maybe 2 at the most. i didnt figure they can live too long without any water.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah there are FWC rules and maybe permits on trapping, just make sure you are legal. With the stress they last a day, that is about it unless you put water and feed and shade for them.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On my Red Bay property hogs are trapped a lot. You need to be vigilant about checking those traps, find an old cast iron tub, bury it 1/2 way and keep it filled with water. I actually have a buddy with an old cast iron tub for sale in DeFuniak for $50 if you need one. They tear the shit out of the traps, make sure it's OVER ENGINEERED as Sawman says.

Top Bottom