• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nfluencial

Expert
    I live in crestview. Looking to put the little black rifle to work and get me a hog. Any tips on where to go hunting for them around here?

T140

Expert
    Just about anywhere these days, check out Blackwater/Hutton Unit they should be able to give you more information.

Nfluencial

Expert
    Thanks, I'll give it a look see.

SAWMAN

Master
    You'd be awfull close to Eglin also. You will have to pay extra to hunt there however it is not too bad if you are active or retired military.

You can also look into joining a club. There are quite a few within 40 miles of so. Some with tons of hogs. --- SAWMAN

Nfluencial

Expert
    Yeah that'd be great because the restrictions of the WMA's kind of ace me out of this until November due to weapons restrictions.

SAWMAN

Master
    You really need to belong to a club. On private land there are no restrictions on time of year,type of weapon used,type of ammo used,size of magazine used,and time of day(or night) hunted. You can use visable lights,lasers,and NVD's.

On a good "hog club" you will have hogs like this. It's like shopping at Winn-Dixie.....only mo bedda. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
      DSC_0015.jpg
      154.2 KB · Views: 842
    • DSC_0019.jpg
      DSC_0019.jpg
      263.3 KB · Views: 856

ben_p

Marksman
    That looks awesome. How much would it cost to be a part of something like that?

Daezee

Master
    Tuesday morning my wife (driving to work on Hwy 87 north of Whiting Field) saw a hog with long, black, coarse hair that had been hit about 200yd from the intersection of Southridge Road and Hwy 87. So I hope they may be moving close to my little farm and maybe I could get one. The last hogs in my area were passing through November 20, 2011...only got game cam pics of them that one night.

Nfluencial

Expert
    You really need to belong to a club. On private land there are no restrictions on time of year,type of weapon used,type of ammo used,size of magazine used,and time of day(or night) hunted. You can use visable lights,lasers,and NVD's.

On a good "hog club" you will have hogs like this. It's like shopping at Winn-Dixie.....only mo bedda. --- SAWMAN

Google local hunting clubs CHECK! Thanks. I'm craving bacon and my ar is having a fit due to a paper overdose.

SAWMAN

Master
    The above pics were from my old club. These are from the club that I belong to now.

Using a 223/5.56 at the closer hog ranges is not a problem as long as you put the bullet where it is supposed to go. You also definately need to read up on the bullets available. My choices would be any of the solid copper or the 60gr Nosler Partition. BUT.....shot placement is key. Remember also, you will be hunting in an area that you do not want to have to trudge thru,at night, looking for a wounded boar hog with longish cutters. A DRT hog is a MUST. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• PICT0096.jpg
      PICT0096.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 399
    • PICT0384.jpg
      PICT0384.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 401
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Hit 'em here with a well made bullet. However I do not agree with the "behind the shoulder thing as stated on the pic. You want to take(frag)both lungs and the heart. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• kill_shots1.jpg
      kill_shots1.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 403

Nfluencial

Expert
    Thanks! Now I just have to find a cheap off season club.

that should have at least knocked him out to give u a 2'nd shot. i dont see how it would have ricochet off his head unless it was a freak thing. i knew i guy up in alaska who would shoot all his moose in the head with a 30-30 and he never lost one.

itsazonik

Expert
    I have heard the story a few times. i was at about 80 yards, hit his head from the front, bounced off and he took off running. follow up shot i hit him quartering away since he was a little dizzy from the shot. heres a picture i found from another forum of the same thing

19013AEC-A3D4-497D-B309-ED5515BD2ED0-144-000000059BA5280F_zps04e624c4.jpg

Top Bottom