• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    For years we've posted pics and stories involving Sawman and myself regarding hog hunting adventures near where I live. We've had 24/7/365 permission on multiple large fields from the farmer who leased the area. The lady that owned it had given control to the farmer for hunting permission...she was not involved and didn't want to be involved. We had permission from surrounding property owners to track and remove any wounded hogs if they made it to their property (and had done so twice). An adjacent property owner even gave us permission to sit on the porch of his rental house (if not being rented then) so we could watch over the area in comfort!

Bill and I did things like remove trees if any fell into the fields and generally watched over the area for the farmer as he lived in Jay, not close to the fields. I'd take photos of his crops and email them so he didn't have to come out. Over the years I personally found 9 people tresspassing. No confrontation, no threats, I'd hardly speak, they'd simply see me when I was scouting wearing my "farmer's hat" and not knowing who I was, but probably thinking I was the farmer or owner, would give me a lame excuse as why they are there and leave right away (looking for cell phone signal, turning around, oh I didn't know it was being used, etc).

Ever spring I'd get a phone call from the farmer asking us to please come and hunt hogs for the year, what he'd be planting, and when. If any equipment was left in the field at night, we had permission to climb on top so we'd have a better view. Nothing like sitting high in a cushy bulldozer seat to be able to see 360 degrees with places for your water bottle and portable fan if hot. And nothing like someone having absolute trust in you. In my retirement and wildest dreams I never thought I'd have so many hunting opportunities as we did. When my wife would out be out of town, I'd be out several nights in a row, sleeping in the daytime and loving it.

Over the years several people asked if I'd take them hunting. Sawman was not keen on taking anyone, fearing the worst of multiple scenerios. I wanted to spread the wealth. Yes we'd friendly argue, but NEVER any hard feeling between the two of us. After he passed away, I was given permission by the farmer to bring one guest at a time with stipulations. Safety briefing, daytime tour of the area, guest could not be on property unless I was with them or they would be trespassing, I had to trust them, and I was in charge...all very reasonable. I couldn't take all who had an interest at once, so I started out slow with 3 forum members, one at a time. Alas none got a hog, but that's hog hunting for you; did get to see other animals via thermal.

Fast forward a year. The lady that owned the property died and the property went to her daughters. Another farmer took over the lease and I was given his name. It turned out he's the son of one of my neighbors. His dad said to his son, I can't tell you what to do, but I recommend you give Bruce permission. He gave hog hunting permission, 24/7, etc. Actually I was able to help him as I knew the lay of the land. Wanted as many hogs killed as possible. Tuesday he started planting soy beans. That night hogs came and rooted up a lot of the freshly planted seeds.

Wednesday daytime I'm out scouting, seeing the damage, determining where the hogs came from, what path they took, etc so I can make hunting plans depending upon the wind direction. Up comes a side by side with the farmer and the husband of one of the daughter owners. We had a nice long chat about the hogs, safe shooting directions, where the hogs often come from, etc. The husband says things have changed. While his mother in law let the farmers decide on permissions, now the daughters are in charge of permissions and I and my other night hunting partner no longer have permission. He does have my name, phone number, email in case the no permission changes, but I'm not optimistic based on our conversation (he did say it sounds like you are very safe) and have heard nothing further. No trespassing signs are being erected. I said we won't even be on the property until we hear further from you.

I am thankful that Sawman, Chaps, and I got as many years of hog hunting as we did in that area. Depending upon the wind, if we could sit at a high spot, we could see for a good half mile with our thermal equipment. Hope the hogs don't get too bad for my neighbor's son's farming efforts. A thermal equipped drone was flown over the fields at night (before I was told Wednesday no more hunting permission), and hogs were out...something like 16 hogs. Drone will not be even flown there unless we hear further.

Last edited:

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sounds like you and Bill earned and kept the trust from the land owners for a long time. It was a symbiotic relationship between you and the owners , and no doubt some of the best of times. Bill would give you an honest answer and gave me some great “ pointers” on a few projects . Hope things can return to what they were for you and the owners . I hope no For Sale signs are posted on it , but times are changing economically . Stay safe !

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Changes in ownership, can lead to different opinions. You have a good reputation with the farm community , and if the hogs tear up enough you will likely be the first person they call. It’s not easy to gain the trust of folks that you don’t have a relationship with but there’s a good chance you will get the opportunity to hunt the land again in the future, in my opinion.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Landowner has no interest in the crop. Her husband views the hunting rights as an asset.

Sorry for you loss of access. Feel sad for the farmer.

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A lot changes with younger owners, hopefully they will realize they made a mistake. Honest trust worthy safe night hunters are hard to come by

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sounds like the owners were not happy the farmer made the decision.

The lease should spell out who has the hunting rights. A lot of farm leases give convey the hunting rights as the farmer invests the time and money and needs to deal with the destruction.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Are we placing bets on how quickly they see the damage hogs can do?
    I’ll probably never know what the leasing farmer said to the property owners about wanting me out there at night. Hunting is not the answer to killing lots of hogs, but hunting and shooting one or two does teach hogs that field is a bad place to be or at least I think so. Experience has shown me you get one or two nights with hogs coming in and being shot, they figure it’s a bad place, and they don’t show up for weeks or longer.

Top Bottom