• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey, I am having problems with visitors around the house, who seem to be taking little things here and there. Yes I supect family members as a real thief would take the more valuble items right off the bat.
    I was wondering about putting up a trail cam to get a picture of said visitor. Trouble I am seeing is that at night if they Flash the visitor would see it and simply tote it off or break it. Wondering if they have some that do not flash or maybe send pic to cell phone.
    Second question is how far away can you set them so it will still activate the cam? and are they able to get a fast enough image of human perps that may be in vechicles comming down drive?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Any other options would be helpfull also.

gtmcgeejr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Moultrie has some with no flash that take night pics for around 150$-200$. They work great. You can use one with IR flash which is just a red glow for a second or two. If you use IR I recommend putting the camera up about 15-20 feet off the ground and angle it down to where you want it to capture pictures from. No will ever know its there due to height off the ground.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There are many different models available that use infrared instead of flash. They do make some that will send a picture to a cell phone or email, but typically those are very expensive. The distance of activation will vary between manufacturers and models.

I have 6 of the Wildview 5mp Infrared cameras that I picked up for around $80 and I've had outstanding luck with them.

Here are some example pictures at night.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, I am looking on ebay and see moultries infrareds low glow models 2013 A-5 for 69.99 50 ft. and a model M-880 for 128.00 100 ft. They seem to be the ones gtmcgeejr was talking about. I am guessing the ones walmart have are not the low glow type and the help really ain't much help there, they seem to be terminally burnt out with this ammo thing and very unplesant most of the time.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Danny, the walmart one I posted is the no glow, the differential is the BLK behind the #'s when you are searching. You have to online order these and ship free to your store for pickup

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dan .....a 2G card is only about $8.00 or so. That is about all you will need for the cam. Take a walk over to Wal Fart and see iffen they have one. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah Danny, you don't need but a 2 g card, if you have time they are $3 or so online. You need to read the manual, some want standard cards some will take hi speed, not sure what that model asks for....but a 2G standard card should be just fine.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nice thing about the M-80 is it can be set to take pics every minute or 30 seconds during the daylight, lots of options...also the video option also records sound, pretty nice feature.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another option would be/could be one of the cheaper driveway alert devices. This,remembering that they can be used places other than a driveway.

I have two of them watching certain area's at my hunting club. They will alert me of "traffic" at over 100yds. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom