• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The gun show is kind of like a time machine.
    You walk in, see the same vendors in the same place, selling the same thing. Seeing the exact same people in the exact same place has an almost eerie feeling about it. Most of vendors are nice enough, and while I check all the tables there are 2 that I like in particular given the choice. I found a few things that I was remotely interested in, but the prices were no better than on the forum or on gun broker so I passed on them. Ammo is no cheaper than found locally. Even the reloads weren't particularly well priced though.

There were three things in particular that I was looking for and found none of them. Had I found one or all 3, I would likely have bought any or all 3. These were:
    - S&W 340 or 360 ( looked hard, found nothing)
    - Nice Colt 357 ( found a beat up detective)
    - Decent American Skeet gun for $500 or less. (found nothing worth buying)

Had I found what I was looking for, maybe I'd feel different about it, but right now, I'm pretty much over it. Instead of a Smith 357 scandium jframe, I did find a Ruger LCR 357, trigger pull was nice, but didn't like the reset. I did like the sights and grip, but it's almost as ugly as the R51, so I passed.

I did find 2 neat things:
    -M1A Socom II, very neat looking, but heavy as a pig. The weight negates any handiness gained by the short barrel.
    - a Polish AK pistol with a Sig Sauer style arm brace contraption. Didn't know it even existed, very very neat, but was overpriced.

If anyone else goes, feel free to chime in, maybe your experience is different from mine. I wish they had more guns and less garbage. I think less than half the booths were actual guns.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I felt the same. Same people, same prices, same stock, different day. Had a couple things in mind one of them being ammo. Nah...cheaper online or locally. I left with only buying my daughter, who was with me, a pink swiss army knife. The majority of the small booths were ridiculous on prices.
    I believe the main problem is that the place was packed out and I heard more than one person say, " This is a pretty good price for this ammo." Umm no sir, not really...
    I enjoy going and looking at all the guns, antique/relics and other stuff. Don't really go anymore looking for a deal. JW

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I briefly thought about it but ended up not going for the reasons stated above.
    There's a show in Milton the middle of the month. I will probably go to that one.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Robertsdale show in February. Never been to that one. Going to go try it out b/c a friend wants to go. Hopefully itwontsuk

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I go mostly just for something to do. I take the wife and daughter and it's just somewhere to go walk around for an hour or two, if I find something I like I'll pick it up, but out of the last 4 shows I've been to I think I only purchased something other than a drink at 1 and that was a knife. I'll head to the robertsdale show this weekend, and I've got a couple little things I'll be on the lookout for, no guns just accessories and maybe some powder.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I quit going to gun shows about 15 years ago. They havent been worth a crap in a long long time.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was practically no powder to be found which was disappointing. I did buy every single bit of 10mm Georgia Arms had which was only 500 rounds. $22 for 50 round packs of brand new ammo in starline brass was as good a deal you can find on 10mm. Only 10mm I've found locally has been double that.

Also got a nice holster made by deadeyeluke holsters so 2 out of 3 wasn't bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also saw a lot of the same..but it seemed like to me that there were a lot more independent "dealers" this time trying to get rid of their private stock..also saw A LOT more ammo this time but like most others said not awesome prices..talked to a couple tables but it still surprised how little they know (and I'm by no means an expert)..I was told by a dealer at the table next to Jays that Smith/Wesson was crap and that the Shield (which I carry) was 1 of the worst guns he'd ever seen..he was all decked out in Sig clothes and that was the only brand he mentioned to anyone that walked up to his table..who knows maybe Sig has a better commission this month..at least he was entertaining..drooled over a PS90..a KSG..Tavor..AUG..hell, I did a lot of drooling..but no buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    this was the first show ive been to in about ten years. i only went to get some info on an old gun. i got good info and ended up selling said gun. i looked around and remembered why i stopped going. i couldnt believe what they were asking for ammo especially reloads but people were buying it like crazy. i did get an awesome deer skinning knife for $10 though. also got a lyman manual for $20 brand new.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I arrived at 1:30. Parking had spilled over into the main fair lot. No lines, no waiting to pay and enter. I went to shop and buy. I needed handgun reloading powders- nyet. I needed CCI mini-mags. I found them, 4 rounds per dollar ($25/100)- nyet. Seemed fewer tables run by individuals. I find those tables and the people interesting. Overall, I feel I wasted $7. I will likely not return for many years. Instead, I will buy online or local stores and spend the $7 on shipping or tax.

critterbug

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am so glad I read this thread! I was considering going this afternoon, but it sounds like it would be a waste of time.

Thanks guys!

Gunslinger82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My experience was similar. Same folks, same over priced crap! The local .22lr mafia was in attendance with 500 rd bricks selling for $65 along the back wall. These are the people responsible for the lack of .22 ammo in this area. It is available at a normal price but these people buy up the supply day after day and then flip it for 3x profit on line or at shows. Don't pay these ridiculous prices and it will stop!! No real deals on anything and as someone else pointed out, half the tables are junk (cheap knives, jewelry, etc). Total waste of $7........

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Only "deals" you're going to find at a gun show are private sales. Those are going to be few and far between depending on what you're into.

Ammo prices have gotten better in general but I think we may have seen the leveling off on 223/5.56. I'm still waiting for 9 and 22 to come back. 7.62x39, 5.45, and 308 have come back to some sort of sanity but aren't ever going to be as cheap as they were 3 years ago.

With cheap prices online and several places to get a cheap transfer, I don't think you're going to save much, if anything, at the local gun shows.

With that said, I've had $500OTD Glocks on the table and the only interest was from the same guy telling me over and over the price was too high. That's one of the reasons I don't bother trying to sell at the Pensacola show.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use to go to gun shows, but every time I come out shaking my head. But then again, I do the same when I go to some of the LGS. I will not buy if the price is ridiculous.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't throw Georgia Arms in with the other ammo price gougers. They are selling their stuff at regular price and have a good variety of ammo and sell in bulk. If it wasn't for them and the the two holster guys I would probably not pay the 7 bucks to get in.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I go to the show knowing I'm not going to buy anything (secretly hoping to find something to change my mind) because of the people and prices..but I go cuz it's the only place u can go and handle almost anything u can think of..keep in mind I'm in Pcola..but what shop has PS90..KSG..any glock or 1911 u can think of..my wife wants a Browning Hi Power..by god they had a brand new 1 that she could actually hold to see if she liked..that's the main reason we go a couple times a year..and I mean no disrespect to LGS..I kno that y'all can't carry every gun that every customer wants to "look" at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was practically no powder to be found which was disappointing. I did buy every single bit of 10mm Georgia Arms had which was only 500 rounds. $22 for 50 round packs of brand new ammo in starline brass was as good a deal you can find on 10mm. Only 10mm I've found locally has been double that.

Also got a nice holster made by deadeyeluke holsters so 2 out of 3 wasn't bad.

You did good on that 10mm @.44 cents a round buy a box of 50 for $22.00, not bad at all :humble: :drum:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm about over the gunshow I can find all the ammo I could ever want online (slickguns.com) and at Walmart shoot I just got another 200 rds of 9mm from Walmart last night they had tons of ammo in stock... I even left 9mm on the shelf aka didn't buy all I could just because..

Top Bottom