• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    The topic of liability related to gun sales (private and otherwise) has come up in other threads. Based upon my professional experience in liability issues -- I believe that a plantiff attorney would be hard pressed to succeed in a liability case against a private seller. That dosen't mean they won't try -- if they feel the pockets are deep enough and the legal climate where the lawsuit is filed is favorable to a receptive judge and/or jury.

Here is a current case against a pawn shop that will be interesting to watch. I think the plantiff attorney has a weak case. Just because someone buys more than one firearm at a time -- and pays with cash -- doesn't automatically label the buyer as a "probable straw buyer". I've bought more than one firearm from a dealer on several occassions (better pricing) -- and paid with cash.

One thing that I see in the Pawn Shop's favor -- is that the case was filed in Mississippi rather than Chicago/Illinois. Still -- you never know what can come out of a jury box (if it gets that far). I think the plantiff attorney is hoping for some type of cash settlement from the Pawn Shop and/or it's insurance carrier. I don't think it will ever see a courtroom.

http://www.officer.com/news/10928201/pawnshop-sued-in-chicago-police-officers-death

Top Bottom