• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budbreak96

Expert
    I'm up to about 6 guns (5 pistols and a rifle). No kids at all in the house, and never will be. None ever come to the house either. Therefore, my only (uneducated) purpose for a gun safe is for protection from theft. My (again, uneducated) thought process is that if somebody was motivated enough, or had the manpower, they could just steal the safe, therefore I don't see much of a point. Plus, why make it harder and more time consuming to get to them if the need arises?

What other considerations are there? What am I not thinking of? I would prefer not to shell out the money for one, but I also realize there is a ton I don't know. Looking forward to the opinions of GCGF.

I would get one in this day/time. I don't know about all the "get one twice the size you think you need" talk. My guess is you where born in 1979 so you are around 37? Anyways my point here is if you have 6 guns (5 pistols and 1 rifle) you don't need anything big and crazy. Academy like mentioned before has a Solid, Heavy Duty, Fire-proof (pretty much like a $3k safe would be) 1200 degrees for 30-45 minutes and there is a seal when the safe detects heat it expands around the inside of the door and seals the safe so anything inside wont get damaged, smoke damage, etc... It's a 24 Gun Safe and around $450-$499. It is an investment and in my opinion worth every penny. It's not just a Gun Safe but like mentioned before, you can keep your passport, jewelry, money, birth-certificate, diploma, pictures, any important documents, etc.. in it to keep out of harms way incase of a break-in, fire, etc.. The 24 Gun Safe at Academy that is in the $450-500 range has a lifetime warranty, when you purchase it call them give them the model #, serial #, date of purchase and where you purchased it from and they have all of that on file so if something did ever happen they will help and the safe's lifetime warranty is good incase anything ever happens to the safe, something breaks, etc.. they will send you the new part free or if it's something that's bad they will send someone out to look at the safe and if it cant be fixed they will give you a new one. A house alarm, security camera system, etc.. Helps also. You might be able to call your home-owner insurance and let them know you have a alarm, security camera's, and a safe and it may reduce your home-owners insurance. With having 6 guns I would still recommend getting a Safe, even a $400-$500 Safe is better than no safe. Just think it's not just or your guns but other item's also. Good Luck and like someone else mentioned, if you do get one, even the $400 Safe's that are good, solid, have at least 4 locking bolts and are fire rated for 30 mins or so, if you can go get it by yourself or with someone you trust and when you get home try to get it inside without anyone seeing it and don't let anyone that comes over see it, the less people know the better. Again Good Luck and hopefully you get one. It is a investment, long term. As long as you anchor it down with Lag bolt's or something like that if you ever move, etc.. you can take it with you. I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of epoxy or anything into the anchoring hole's, good cement anchors and bolts are good enough. A guy I know had a $3k dollar safe and he used epoxy in the anchors in the ground, when they dried he then bolted the safe down, well when he moved guess what his $3k dollar safe stayed with the house. When he tried to remove it he couldn't do it without breaking the concrete slab, he even had a company that installs safe's come out to see if they could get it out with out breaking the slab and they said it would mess the foundation up if they tried to remove it.

Telum Pisces

Master
    If you care at all about not letting your firearm get into the hands of a criminal, you need a safe. And if you think it can't happen to you, YOUR WRONG! It's happened to me and my safe is the only thing that kept my firearms in my possession as the scum bag rifled through all the empty gun cases and holsters on top of the safe and along the shelf in the closet!

Your house can be broke into when you're not home and it can catch fire and you can loose them either way!

Get a safe!!!!!

bobinbusan

Master
    You got to remember if they hurt themselves stealing your stuff, they can also sue you for pain and suffering, so this is a catch 22 situation, can't win for loosing either way :rockon: BIG BAD DOGS may be the way to go, make sure they are current on there shots, maybe a few "BILLY GOATS" could work??? :help: somebody stealing :boom:

Seanpcola

Without listing everything I'll say you have a helluva gauntlet to get through before you even get to my safe. Maybe a real pro but most shitheads won't make it far enough to even get in the house.

I'll take my chances with someone getting hurt trying to get my stuff. There's plenty of clear, easy to understand warnings before you get that far. If you do you're either thinking something real bad, illiterate or too stoopid to breath.

They are good for other stuff too like others have said. Passports, papers, jewelry, hiding Christmas presents.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    As a 21-yr Firefighter, I advise folks all the time to get a GOOD safe,
    that gives at least an hour's worth of fire protection.

Bring the safe in, in a Refridgerator Carton...
    nobody even thinks twice about a fridge.

While I'm thinking about it, some folks even use a Fridge as a safe.
    Nobody thinks twice about a chained-up fridge in a basement or garage...
    other than it's chained to keep kids out of it...

Attachments

• safes.jpg
      safes.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 191
    • perfect bed.jpg
      perfect bed.jpg
      29.2 KB · Views: 179
    • Hidden Gun Storage.jpg
      Hidden Gun Storage.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 224
    • safe.jpg
      safe.jpg