• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Needed to make two replacement gun racks so I could get the last of the rifles out of the spare MBR closet. Once my new gun room is done, they'll go in custom made steel cabinets. Buddy of mine is going to do the fab of the gun cabinets for me. They'll be finished with a faux wood finish as to not look industrial.

Anyways Mama (AKA CINC Household) said get them out of the closet, and when she gives an order I obey....LOL. So I threw 2 new racks together, just didn't put any finish on them for now. Cut all the wood last night, and put them all together today.

Now I get to break down the last 11 long guns, clean, inspect and oil them for storage. Oh and plus the 3 pistols in that closet. Now they'll all be stored in one closet.

Picture 1 1st Old rack with rifles.
    Picture 2 2nd Old rack with rifles.
    Picture 3 Both new racks.
    Picture 4 1st new rack.
    Picfure 5 2nd new rack with rifle.

20210523_010150.jpg

20210523_010551.jpg

20210523_172840.jpg

20210523_180835.jpg

20210523_180851.jpg

Last edited:

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nice collection!
    Good looking racks too!
    I have been holding off but I need to buy myself a set or pay for someone to make me a Long Rifle rack.
    Currently just have everything stacked in the corners of my closet haha.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are pretty easy to make. I got my rack plan/idea from a site that is no longer active. Here's a picture of one of their plans. You can make it longer or shorter to accommodate your space.

The only thing I did differently from the plans is I put stops/dividers so the butt of the rifles doesn't slide around, and added a backer (For strength, stability and to make it square/plumb). You can see in the plans that they don't have that.

20210524_000049.jpg

20210524_001417.jpg

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another one of their racks, this one is basically the same with storage underneath. Again as with the other one you can adjust the length to fit your needs.

20210524_001041.jpg

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice collection!
    Good looking racks too!
    I have been holding off but I need to buy myself a set or pay for someone to make me a Long Rifle rack.
    Currently just have everything stacked in the corners of my closet haha.

I'll add a new picture to the post, after I finish checking the rest of the rifles and I add them to the racks.

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I'll add a new picture to the post, after I finish checking the rest of the rifles and I add them to the racks.
    Thanks I saw them.
    I've built stuff in the past, but I'm not greta at it and have few tools atm, however my neighbor is a cabinet maker and owes me a favor, may have him make me a few of these.

Thanks for sharing the specs/pics!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks I saw them.
    I've built stuff in the past, but I'm not greta at it and have few tools atm, however my neighbor is a cabinet maker and owes me a favor, may have him make me a few of these.

Thanks for sharing the specs/pics!

The plans show a 5 inch area for the buttstocks, depending on the rifles you have I would suggest making the area bigger. While my Milsurps fit with no issue, I ran into a problem with a shotgun and the collapsible buttstock on an AR. I would make it a least 6 inches instead.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice setup have there. Back in the day when I had racks/cabinets, I added a green felt strip across the entire outboard face of barrel support and a identical toe support (inside face) and floor. Added a little cushion and color contrast wow factor. I considered Red but it blended in too much with the wood. Used light aplication of wood glue, let it get "tacky" then applied the felt, when dry trimmed it as needed.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice.
    When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of the gun rack I had in the back window of my C-10 Silverado in the 1970's. You just don't see those anymore.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice.
    When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of the gun rack I had in the back window of my C-10 Silverado in the 1970's. You just don't see those anymore.

So true, it use to be you couldn't go anywhere and not see them.....Now the are like Bigfoot, elusive....

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice setup have there. Back in the day when I had racks/cabinets, I added a green felt strip across the entire outboard face of barrel support and a identical toe support (inside face) and floor. Added a little cushion and color contrast wow factor. I considered Red but it blended in too much with the wood. Used light aplication of wood glue, let it get "tacky" then applied the felt, when dry trimmed it as needed.

We put mole skin on the bottom of the racks, so they won't scratch/gouge the floors and could be easily slid around.

I thought of putting it down on the butt stock area and the barrel rests, but.......I remembered an incident with a buddies rack. He had one of the 4 gun horizontal wall rack, and for some reason his barrels and butt plates starting rusting where they contacted the felt.

Don't know the real reason for it, but I've seen rifles that were well oiled in soft gun cases/sleeves rusting, and handguns in plastic cases with foam do the same thing.

So with all that said, we just left the original ones we made in 2011 all wood, with no issues, even after some got soaked in Hurricane Michael.

Top Bottom