• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason

Master
    My son was shooting the metal spinners designed fer small calibers and he was using a 22 pistol. 1 ricochet came back and hit him in the chest! Scared the poop outta me! Actually went through his shirt and made him bleed! Nothing penetrated thankfully!

jakec

Master
    My son was shooting the metal spinners designed fer small calibers and he was using a 22 pistol. 1 ricochet came back and hit him in the chest! Scared the poop outta me! Actually went through his shirt and made him bleed! Nothing penetrated thankfully!

I bet that did scare you. Him too. Glad he was ok!

joraca

Expert
    Hmm. Have to remember not to shoot skillets with a pistol.

I guess it makes sense that with heavy metal targets, anything that looks like a crater can redirect part of the bullet back.

Glad you are OK, Jake.

Joraca

shootnstarz

Master
    Swinging metal plates act like trampolines when struck by a bullet and can rebound it great distances. I've seen steel plates rebound AP penetrators that did not go completely through. I surely wouldn't want to catch one of those.

Everybody be very careful shooting steel, especially with jacketed bullets. Angle the plate so the bullet is directed into the ground.

Rick

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Damn Jake! I shoot at my steel every time I can get out to the clay pit and have never had anything like that happen, but it's all flat. After a day of shooting there is always a ton of lead splatter and jacket fragments all around the targets... Glad you didn't get hurt.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Swinging metal plates act like trampolines when struck by a bullet and can rebound it great distances. I've seen steel plates rebound AP penetrators that did not go completely through. I surely wouldn't want to catch one of those.

Everybody be very careful shooting steel, especially with jacketed bullets. Angle the plate so the bullet is directed into the ground.

Rick

I'll be shooting steel early this Sunday Rick.
    Might want to find some cover and hunker down...

Viking1204

Master

How far away was he? I guess one good lesson from this is to use eye protection when shooting at metal targets, imagine if that had gone into an eye, yikes!

sj1

Marksman
    Glad you're OK, Jake. This is a strange coincidence, but I was test firing some of the reloads you gave me, and a pellet bounced back and hit my wife in the forehead! I was shooting 5 rounds at a milk jug, and it bounced every time. I guess it landed on a rock, and some pellets hit the rock and came back at us! Good call on eye protection, Viking1204!

High side u don't have to look for that bit of lead

TraderDan

Master
    maybe y'all should take up shuffleboard, it's a safer sport you know. you sound like a bunch of girls. :lol:

Top Bottom