• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot1776

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Seems like either the surplus is steady drying up or being sent some where else.
    1. Anyone got favorite milsurp rifle they enjoy?
    2. Anyone got favorite milsurp pistol they enjoy?
    3. Know there lot more knowledge guys out there, so was kinda wondering what m44 mosin carbine were going for price wise these day ?
    4. Also looking for some good army/navy stores, know that kinda of dying business now days.

Keep it respectful and every man and woman has the right to own what they enjoy, like or collect.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My favorite so far is the M1 Carbine. I haven’t shot a milsurp rifle more fun than that yet. Too bad ammo for it has gotten really expensive over the last few years.

I don’t have much experience with milsurp pistols other than super loose 1911’s and my uncle’s Luger.

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My favorite so far is the M1 Carbine. I haven’t shot a milsurp rifle more fun than that yet. Too bad ammo for it has gotten really expensive over the last few years.

I don’t have much experience with milsurp pistols other than super loose 1911’s and my uncle’s Luger.
    I tell you what the m1 is actually really light on recoil, I've fired a reproduction one loved it beside one of the magazines having few hiccups.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been around the horn a bit on surplus rifles. Starting in the mid 80's during the second big wave, and then again during the third wave late 90's. Sadly I think the "waves" are history.

I've owned;

Enfield SMLE's and No. 4's, Mosins, Mausers German, Czech, Swedish, M95 mannlicher, 1903 Springfield, Garand, Trapdoor Springfield, Arisaka Type 99 and a Norwegian Krag. I'm sure probably a few I'm forgetting.

Still have the Trapdoor, the Garand, the Swede, and the Norwegian Krag. Only kept the best imo. Better be a handloader if you're going to enjoy them.

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been around the horn a bit on surplus rifles. Starting in the mid 80's during the second big wave, and then again during the third wave late 90's. Sadly I think the "waves" are history.

I've owned;

Enfield SMLE's and No. 4's, Mosins, Mausers German, Czech, Swedish, M95 mannlicher, 1903 Springfield, Garand, Trapdoor Springfield, Arisaka Type 99 and a Norwegian Krag. I'm sure probably a few I'm forgetting.

Still have the Trapdoor, the Garand, the Swede, and the Norwegian Krag. Only kept the best imo. Better be a handloader if you're going to enjoy them.
    Is the trapdoor .45/70 sir? Always been interested In them and have watched alot videos on them. Everyone must hate the poor carcono

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I remember when you could walk in local gun shop or hardware there would be a barrel full of 1917s or M1s for less than fifty bucks. I bought a wood crate with ten Russian SKS for 1800.00 in late 80s and the ammo To go with them was very cheap.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Seems like either the surplus is steady drying up or being sent some where else.
    1. Anyone got favorite milsurp rifle they enjoy?
    2. Anyone got favorite milsurp pistol they enjoy?
    3. Know there lot more knowledge guys out there, so was kinda wondering what m44 mosin carbine were going for price wise these day ?
    4. Also looking for some good army/navy stores, know that kinda of dying business now days.

Keep it respectful and every man and woman has the right to own what they enjoy, like or collect.
    The two best Army/Navy Stores within a tri county area are owned by the same good God fearing right wing family in Fort Walton Beach. They'll bend over backwards for you and I'm proud to call them family

IMG_20240323_190342888.jpg

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Repro m1 carbine ( works with fmj only, can't get to feed soft point so far)
    M1 garands ( I don't regret that cmp purchase at all)
    Tokarev and cz52 - literal blast to shoot
    Browning hipower- more accurate than a pistol that old should be.
    8mm Mauser- fun but less than thrilled on accuracy (may become a project down the road)

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Consider the M1 Carbine copy being made by Chiappa in 9mm. It uses the super cheap and plentiful Beretta M9 magazine, too. Win/win :) the average 115 grain 9mm FMJ round gets 357 style muzzle velocity out of the 16 inch barrel because of a more complete powder burn

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yes, it's an 1884 .45-70. I think the trapdoor is a sleeper in today's market. Wonderful examples abound for under a k. You must handload imo, but easy peasy and about as inexpensive as you can get.
    Consider a reproduction trapdoor because the metal is better and can handle the newer hotter 45-70 loads

Top Bottom