• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glock 21SF KPOS G2 carbine project

Not sure if I want to go the SBR route with this -- because the pistol will continue to be considered an NFA item (travel requirements interstate) even if removed from the KPOS unit -- so, I went ahead and ordered a 16" carbine barrel from IGB Austria. I haven't had an opportunity to do any range work with this yet -- but I plan on shooting some 45 ACP as well as 45 Super over a Chrony to see what velocity the 16" barrel will produce. If the IGB barrel wasn't hardened, I would consider reaming it to 460 Rowland chamber dimensions and try some of that -- but I suspect the hardened barrel would eat up my reamer...

The KPOS G2 unit comes with the folding stock, single point sling, the folding foregrip (serves as an additional trigger safety when folded and extended), and a hard case. The barrel is from IGB Austria and is threaded at the end for suppressor use. The optic chosen for the project is the Vortex SPARC that comes with a variety of mounts, a screw-on magnifier, and is night vision compatible. I also installed an extra TLR-3 I had for illumination.

The pistol can be installed and removed from the KPOS G2 without any tools in about 15 seconds with practice. I could see such a set-up being very useful for LEOs serving in agencies who issue and use Glock firearms. Having one in the trunk of the cruiser -- with or without a Glock installed -- would allow quick carbine capability with common magazine use with the issued sidearm. The FAB Defense KPOS can also be set up to work with the Sig Sauer line of pistols -- as well as the Israeli Jerico pistol. When I ordered this unit, it only took 6 days for it to be shipped from Tel Aviv and arrive in Milton -- pretty darn quick!

Note: if you install a handgun into the KPOS G2 without the carbine barrel installed, you've just created an unregistered SBR -- so make sure to have (and use) the carbine barrel available before putting the pistol into the KPOS G2 unit if you decide to buy one.

Last edited:

Donkey_McWedges

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question for you scuba, I've been thinking about something simular. I found the stock I want for sale here at a shop. I don't own a glock anymore but planning on buying another one later. was there any real paperwork you needed to buy the stock?

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No paperwork for the stock. However, if you put it on a pistol without a 16" or greater length barrel, you will need an SBR on a Form 1 and $200 tax beforehand. Just owning the pistol and the stock -- and having them in the same place without the carbine length barrel or the SBR Form 1 with Tax Stamp could be considered constructive possession of an unregistered SBR...a felony. Be careful. It is best to buy the carbine length barrel first -- then the stock -- if you don't intend to register it as an SBR. If going the SBR route -- get the approved Form 1 with the tax stamp affixed BEFORE buying the stock.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what site did you buy yours from? Command arms sells one for the G27 but it doesn't mention the ability for the 16' threaded barrel. Thanks for showing this I am going to get one for my glock...have you shot it yet? edit found where you got yours looks like they don't offer anything for the G27. I emailed command arms but doesn't look like there's accepts the barrel.

Last edited:

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    oh wow I got excited when I saw it and wasn't thinking 100% about it. I guess any of these systems from different manufactures will work with the barrel. Thanks for the link. Would love to hear your impressions when you shoot it

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So what is the total cost of this setup I have a Glock 21SF with a threaded barrel and the Gemtech Blackside Silencer. I would be interested in doing this. Does the 16" Barrel threaded???

I also have the Just Right Carbine in .45 takes Glock Mags. The Just Right Carbine is threaded.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This one is available for the Sigs -- as well as the FN 5.7 and the Jerico pistol. The Sig unit that I have seen at Academy does not include the stock. I personally wouldn't want one without the sholder stock. Although FAB Defense has come up with an option for those who don't want to go the SBR route -- or to use a 16" barrel. They have a forearm stabilizer:

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/categ.../id-717/ultimate-handgun-support-system-.html

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think I am going to do an AR pistol in 6.8 w an 8.5 barrel since all I have to use is the G 19...I need it to kill things when I hunt hogs spot and stalk.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are some numbers that I got over a Chrony at JJ's today. G21SF with 16" IGB barrel installed in the KPOS G2 unit.

Target 230gr FMJ Ball = 1050 fps / 562 ft/lbs / Taylor KO=15
    Winchester Ranger T +P 230gr JHP = 1150 fps / 675 ft/lbs / Taylor KO=17
    Underwood 185gr Gold Dot - 45 SUPER = 1650 fps / 1118 ft/lbs / Taylor KO=19
    Underwood 230gr Gold Dot - 45 SUPER = 1325 fps / 896 ft/lbs / Taylor KO=19

The 45 SUPER is definitely running at mid-range 44 Magnum velocities out of the 16" barrel -- I'm impressed!

The barrel is hardened -- otherwise, I would ream it to 460 Rowland specs for even higher velocity and greater energy...

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My understanding of the NFA is when your pistol is removed from the stock and in pistol configuration, it's not a short barreled rifle, as it no longer meets the definition.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it.

Last edited:

RedcedarHunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    S/n is tied to the gun (on a form 1)....not the stock.

As such, removed or not....the Glock is an SBR until removed from the NFA registry.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know it's registered as an SBR in the NFA, and why.

Let me clarify.

Not sure if I want to go the SBR route with this -- because the pistol will continue to be considered an NFA item (travel requirements interstate) even if removed from the KPOS unit -- so, I went ahead and ordered a 16" carbine barrel from IGB Austria.

Without the stock, it is no longer a shoulder fired weapon and does not meet the definition of a SBR.

It shouldn't need a Form 5320.20, to travel out of state as long as it remains in the pistol configuration.

This is similar to a situation a friend had with transporting a SBR AR. He was told it was OK to travel as long as the short barreled upper stayed at home.

Or, at least for now, he could put it in a trust. It would not need a form 5320.20 to travel. BATFE may be changing some of their requirements on trusts so who knows what might be down the road.

As always, check with BATFE for clarification.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom