• ...and so much more!
  • Price: $1800.00
    Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Item Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Price
    $1800.00
    I have decided to put my 1918 Colt up for sale again. This is still an impeccable and accurate shooting pistol given that it is 104 years old. The 1918 dated M1911 holster also comes with it. The Colt also has an original Pre-WWII "two-tone" magazine. This pistol saw WWII service and was originally owned by a man in Michigan who was able to buy it when he was released from service. It was bought at an estate sale at his home by a "High Sheriff" in that town. It was bought shortly after that by a local police officer who saved it from being modified by that Sheriff. I bought it shortly after the police officer took possession of it. This is a survivor pistol with beautiful patina and no rust or pitting. I bought the holster at a gun show several years ago shortly after buying the pistol. The only thing is that the serial number was changed many years ago and coincides with WWII Colt serial numbers. I do not know the history of this pistol prior to the man who carried it in WWII, thus I have no idea as to which armory changed the serial number or why. It may have been done when it was reissued for service in WWII. If interested and would like to check it out, let me know.

New information: Another member was doing some research on re-serial numbered 1911’s. He discovered that after WWI when a small amount of 1911s were documented as missing, but later recovered they would get sent to an arsenal. The arsenal like RIA would hold them until they had a small stockpile and then re number them. This could very well have been the case with this Colt.

Cash Price: $1800 Trade Value: $1950

Contact James at 850-477-1795 (landline), by e-mail at reaja@cox.net, or by PM.

Trade Interests:
    High-end SIG SAUER pistols
    High-end Beretta pistols

There could be others, but no ARs. Just let me know what you have. I am pretty picky.

Attachments

• 1918 Colt 1911d labeled.jpg
      1918 Colt 1911d labeled.jpg
      472.1 KB · Views: 417
    • 1918 Colt 1911h.JPG
      1918 Colt 1911h.JPG
      461.9 KB · Views: 419
    • 1918 Colt 1911i.JPG
      1918 Colt 1911i.JPG
      448 KB · Views: 386
    • DSC00064 (2).JPG
      DSC00064 (2).JPG
      660.4 KB · Views: 410
    Last edited:

850guns

Master
    So if the serial # was changed many years ago, how do you know it's a 1918?

My 1918 has serial #15×××× and the horse cartouche is at the rear of the slide.

So if the serial # was changed many years ago, how do you know it's a 1918?

My 1918 has serial #15×××× and the horse cartouche is at the rear of the slide.
    Before I bought it, the guy who had it listed it as a 1918 "Black Army" 1911. I did my research on the Black Army 1911 right down to the individual components and the markings and everything is correct. If you do your homework as I did, you will find that the "Rampant Horse" on the Black Army 1911s can be found in the center of the text on the left side or the rear of the slide on the left side. It was dependent on when it was produced in 1918.

850guns

Master
    I have noticed that they moved the horse in 1918, mine is an early one before production went crazy (and is not black army). Thanks for the explanation. So all the proof marks are correct on yours? Did they do the ordnance stamp in WW1?

I have noticed that they moved the horse in 1918, mine is an early one before production went crazy (and is not black army). Thanks for the explanation. So all the proof marks are correct on yours? Did they do the ordnance stamp in WW1?
    They are correct, but a couple are faint, including the "P" on the barrel. I had to look at them under a magnifying glass. There is a proof mark on the top of the frame to the rear that is easily seen once the slide is removed. The "G" is the most common and is the factory marking indicating a government order. Also, on the left side of the frame, there is an inspector's mark with the Eagle Head and the inspector's code. Mine has "S17". They did not do the Flaming Bomb ordnance marking on these pistols.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom