Florida Resident... Deer Hunting in Alabama?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilDog

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So I just found out that our extended family (step-son's grandfather) has 500 acres in Alabama that we are able to hunt. Right now there is only one other family member that has hunted it and may not have hunted it in years. My son asked if I wanted to start hunting it and of course I said yes... but with a lot of expletives thrown in because I'm just now find this out.

So here are my questions for those that are Florida residents hunting in Alabama.

1. Does Alabama require any special hoops be jumped through in order to get a hunting license as a Florida resident? I haven't held a Florida hunting license since 2012/2013.

2. How much is the Alabama non-resident hunting license in 2023?

3. Are there any special considerations I need to take into account hunting in Alabama as a Florida resident?

4. Are there any caliber limits/restrictions or special regulations that I need to know? (Hunting from ground blinds vs tree stands, etc.)

I plan to make a trip over to Alabama to grab a hunting regulations guide at some point but was hoping someone might have some quick answers for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No hoops, you just need a non-resident license which is $350.15. If you only plan to go once, you can get a 3 day or 10 day trip license which are $153 and $216. No real considerations except you have to debone to cross state lines or have game processed in Alabama. If it's private land, there are no real restrictions that are different from Florida that I can think of. Basically any centerfire rifle or pistol, shotgun (10ga or smaller), bows, etc are fine. You do need to wear orange in Alabama, even on private land if I remember correctly.

If you plan to put out bait, you need an additional license for that which is $51.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I hunted in Alabama for 30 years up until 3 or 4 years ago. When I started, a non-resident license was $50. When I quit, it was around $350. Probably more now.
    I don’t remember much difference from hunting in Florida but that deer disease was just cranking up when I quit. Something about deboning the deer before crossing state lines. Be sure and look into that.
    You can find the regs online. I think it’s Alabamaoutdoors.com or close to it.

Stevenattsu

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the last hunting license I bought with the corn stamp was around $275. Im sure its gone up since

DevilDog

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Wow... $350 is a pretty steep price. I just looked up a Florida license and I can get the Gold Sportsman again for $100 a year. I may have to rethink the trip to Alabama since we always had luck in Florida on public land.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Wow... $350 is a pretty steep price. I just looked up a Florida license and I can get the Gold Sportsman again for $100 a year. I may have to rethink the trip to Alabama since we always had luck in Florida on public land.
    Yeh, the steep license price had a lot to do with why I quit. They will keep raising it as long as we will pay it.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the answers are on the Outdoor Alabama website including any requirements for hunter education.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    So you are required to buy the baiting privilege license?
    Might as well say the hunting license is $437.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If only I had spent $300 and bought an AL lifetime license when I lived there 1993 to 1996.

I will have to make do with my GA and LA lifetime licenses and stay out of Bama.

Reactions: sj1

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I called Alabama Wildlife a month ago. Florida Resident, 100% Disabled and Over 65, I still have to pay the Non-Resident fee to hunt "HOGS" on my Sister's property.

DevilDog

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah I think I will pass on the opportunity at those prices. I'm just not that invested into hunting anymore to spend that much money on a license. I might go 3-4 times and for that I think I'll stay local.

Top Bottom