• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can a florida resident now carry concealed in Alabama without showing his/her/_ concealed Florida state pistol permit. In other words does the new Alabama permitless concealed carry also apply to out of state adults?

I realize that my Florida State CCW is still valid, but do I need it now in Alabama.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If I understand correctly, you WON'T need a permit. It is permitless, and not just for residents. Re-checking now...

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Interesting topic, I went to Defuniak Springs this morning and left my CCW at home since my Alabama concealed carry license expired Dec 20, got to get it renewed just for crossing the state line. Personally I think license to carry is complete BS regardless where you’re located or want to go regardless of state boundary lines. An American should have the right to carry without restrictions if you’re a law abiding citizen.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm pretty sure Action knows what he is talking about. If not, you still better have your FL permit in Escambia Co. Alabama.
    There's much more, but nowhere do I see the words "Alabama resident", it's always "person":

3 This bill would eliminate the requirement
    4 for a person to obtain a concealed carry permit in
    5 order to lawfully carry a pistol.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/ALISON/SearchableInstruments/2022RS/PrintFiles/HB272-int.pdf

P.S., the text in that linked bill is confusing, since it still has all the old language mixed with the new, with strike-throughs for the old removed language, underlines for the new, etc.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Even the new Florida bill, HB 543, bogus as it is, appears to include non-residents under the permitless-carry provision:

18 ...authorizing a
    19 nonresident to carry a concealed weapon or concealed
    20 firearm in this state if he or she meets the same
    21 requirements as a resident;

(note that the above is new language, referring to the permitless provision)

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/543/BillText/Filed/PDF

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, if poster Action's boys pull you over, you can argue with them.
    Relative to cops, 'They is the law' for all practical purposes. So if Action boy is an LEO in nearby Escambia, AL, one should pay a lot of attention to what he says until he says differently.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, if poster Action's boys pull you over, you can argue with them.
    And since my Reading Comprehension has always scored in the 99th percentile... over a period of several decades... no one is likely to convince me otherwise, even if I'm wrong. : )

And keep in mind, an honest cop will tell you: "We're cops, not lawyers! We're not supposed to know the law!" : )

I don't know what those who wrote the Alabama bill were thinking... or what they meant... or how it's being interpreted in practice... but if they meant to exclude non-residents from the permitless-carry provision, they need to revise the language. Because I am a person, and also a Florida resident.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best solution I can see is to contact Rep. Stringer, and get his interpretation, since he was one of the sponsors. Working on it...

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Constitutional carry is legal in Alabama for residents of the state. If you are from Florida, you would need Florida license. Now if Florida does constitutional carry, I would take it Alabama would reciprocate that like they do with honoring Florida permit now.

Until both states or all states are constitutional carry, I would have a permit on me if I wasn't a resident

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Constitutional carry is legal in Alabama for residents of the state. If you are from Florida, you would need Florida license. Now if Florida does constitutional carry, I would take it Alabama would reciprocate that like they do with honoring Florida permit now.

Until both states or all states are constitutional carry, I would have a permit on me if I wasn't a resident
    Certainly a good "hassle-avoidance" measure, which is why I first (grudgingly) applied for a Florida permit in 1988. In fact, the Alabama statute states as much:

7 "§13A-11-85.
    8 "(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any
    9 state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state.
    10 This section shall apply to a license holder from another
    11 state only while the license holder is not a resident of this
    12 state. A license holder from another state shall carry the
    13 handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
    (OLD language still remaining ^^^)

(followed by NEW language added >>>)
    13 The
    14 issuance of a permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Section
    15 13A-11-75 or the recognition of a nonresident license under
    16 this section does not impose a general prohibition on the
    17 carrying of a pistol without a permit.

Note what it's saying: They did and do still issue their own permits, and recognize permits from some other states (and why wouldn't they, even now?), but the new language implies that they are not required. It says:

" ...or the recognition of a nonresident license under this section... "

NOT

" or the requirement for a nonresident license under this section... "

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never claimed to be a lawyer but I have one and he agrees with me on the permit. Your lawyer might give you different advice but you sure don’t want him doing it in a courtroom. I stand by my first post. Not that I agree or disagree with the law, I just enforce them.
    BINGO!

I'm going to try to get a response from Stringer, which I will accept yea or nay... but "nay" only after I rake him over the coals for the language in the Bill : )

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BINGO!

I'm going to try to get a response from Stringer, which I will accept yea or nay... but "nay" only after I rake him over the coals for the language in the Bill : )
    I have dealt with this bill since it started and it has been altered 100 times but at the end of the day, if from Florida, you have to have a permit.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just hung up with him. He agrees with what I said above.
    Then I need to find out why the Bill says

"This bill would eliminate the requirement for a person to obtain a concealed carry permit in order to lawfully carry a pistol."

and not

"This bill would eliminate the requirement for an Alabama resident to obtain a concealed carry permit in order to lawfully carry a pistol."

Just like the Second Amendment, which says:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment Deniers try to contend that the Amendment protects the right of militias to keep and bear arms, when it plainly states " ...the right of the people... ", and I am one of the people.

The Alabama law plainly states "This bill would eliminate the requirement for a person to obtain a concealed carry permit... ", and I am a person, so something is amiss.

Words are very important in law, and unless the Statute assigns a non-standard definition to a term (e.g., "For the purposes of this section, the term "person" shall be defined as "an Alabama resident"), the standard definition prevails.

Top Bottom