• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    None of you have met the scared shitless park ranger in Everglades National Park. This was before it was legal to have a weapon in National Parks, maybe 2000 or 2001. He pulled me over for a tail light that was out. It was dusky dark. He had his flashlight in my face as I was pulling my license out. I was turned a little in the seat with both hands outside the window. Wallet in one hand, drivers license in the other. He saw my CWP showing through the little window in my wallet and asked what it was. I told him and that SOB went freaking nuts. He jerked his pistol out and was waving it around like a wild man. He was nearly incoherent. I was screaming at him that I did not have a weapon. He finally realized what I was saying and started calming down. He was shaking so bad he could not re-holster when he finally tried. I was really glad to get the ticket and get the hell out of the park.

I have always said that there is nothing more dangerous than a scared cop and I believed it even more after that. Of course, he was just a wanna-be cop anyway.

SAWMAN

Master
    As stated by myself somewhere else in this forum.....what do cops do/how are cops trained...in the states that allow open carry.

How does a cop approach you on the street corner when you are open carring a 44mag Desert Eagle ?? What happens when you get stopped and are asked to exit the vech,and you jump out with a Glock openly carried on your hip ?? --- SAWMAN

Snow Bird

Master
    Sawman like I said in another post. When I was at home in Mo years ago they had an open carry law. Handguns came out of the woodwork during deer season and I never heard of anyone having any problem with law inforcement. That was a diffrent time. I think there is a state out west that has open carry still. May be wrong about that. It's got to be in Law Inforcement training. Think about game warders... Almost everyone they stop has a gun. They don't seem to panic about guns. On top of that there may be a whole bunch of guns if they check lisence at a dove shoot. Got my lisence checked last year and there were 12 of us with guns.

bronxbomber252

Shooter
    Snow Bird:

There is more than 1 state that allows unlicensed open carry, some examples of ones with permissive open carry laws: Alaska, New Mexico, Arizona, Vermont, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina... these states allow it but there are some restrictions or no state preemption (so local gov's can add restrictions): Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware...

The issue you run into is culturally it may not be socially acceptable in some places, or the cops may not be friendly towards it. My wife and I have been in New Mexico for the last 5 months and we open carry when hiking or doing certain other activities with no issues. I even got in a conversation with a cop about my PPQ, how I liked it, and such (he is actually now in the market for one LOL).

Last edited:

steve

Marksman
    Some of the information provided in previous posts are examples of what NOT to do when stopped by LEO! First of all, FL LEOs do have access to CCW information as it is public record. Anyone can access that information. If you have LEO in your immediate family, inform the Dept. of Ag. when you apply for license and your CCW information will be withheld from public records. Secondly, if stopped by LEO you are NOT required to inform them of CCW status but SHOULD inform them if asked to exit the vehicle. If asked to exit vehicle, keep hands in plain view (on steering wheel) and inform the LEO that you are a licensed CCW holder, inform them of location and follow their instructions. No problems!

Fletch

Master
    Some of the information provided in previous posts are examples of what NOT to do when stopped by LEO! First of all, FL LEOs do have access to CCW information as it is public record. Anyone can access that information. If you have LEO in your immediate family, inform the Dept. of Ag. when you apply for license and your CCW information will be withheld from public records. Secondly, if stopped by LEO you are NOT required to inform them of CCW status but SHOULD inform them if asked to exit the vehicle. If asked to exit vehicle, keep hands in plain view (on steering wheel) and inform the LEO that you are a licensed CCW holder, inform them of location and follow their instructions. No problems!

That's the protocall I have followed. Been pulled over 3 times since getting my ccw and did not inform. If asked to exit I would have no doubt made the officer/trooper aware as politely and non-threating as possible. My fear is getting a nervous one that may mistake my attempt to inform as a suttle form of intimidation or threat. The ones who can't make those judgment calls shouldn't be working the front lines imo. I do realize its a tough job and walking up on cars not knowing what's inside can't be fun. If I had to do it I would treat all with caution but you best believe I would be profiling. Rollin' on 24's and tinted windows I would probably be on the megaphone instructing windows down and interior lights on before I would approach.

All three times I had my cruise control set to what I thought was 7 or 8 over. Thankfully the last Arkansas State trooper noticed my BF Goodrich AT tires were one size up from standard and let me off with a warning. Pulled out my old gps that shows mph and sure enough my speedo was 5 mph off. First time I have ever got a warning from a trooper!

Members online

Top Bottom