• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I got a good deal on an old Santa Rosa county sheriff's car a couple years ago for a work car. She has treated me well but of course has needed some work here and there as she has some miles on her. Already done an intake manifold, fuel pump, axles, coils and now the timing chain guides. I am mechanically inclined and normally don't mind doing my own work but this is it. If this car needs anything else I'm going to write it off. Doing the timing chains and related components has made me respect auto mechanics in a whole new light. For you guys that do this day to day, you got my praises! I keep telling myself to be thankful I have the ability to do my own repairs and I am, but buying a daily driver under warranty is starting to look a whole lot more attractive. I am enclosing a pic of the old guides and hydraulic tensioners. This was the same on both the driver and passenger side. This thing was about to put the valves into this pistons!

Attachments

• timing guide.jpg
      timing guide.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 174

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OIC. I was wondering if that was what it was. Because Ive only ever had cars with cast aluminum intake manifolds, Ive never had to worry about that. If a cast one cracks, youre doing it wrong.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me guess... At the thermostat? Most aftermarket manifolds are metal there now

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me guess... At the thermostat? Most aftermarket manifolds are metal there now

Actually cracked at the coolant crossover next to #5 cylinder. Weeped coolant into #5 spark plug bung and shorted the coil. So far the timing guide fix has been successful and haven't had any leaks. This thing runs so quiet now all you can hear is the injectors ticking and air being sucked into the hogged out air box.

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    does yours have the spotlight? if so let me know if you ever decide to take it off

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    does yours have the spotlight? if so let me know if you ever decide to take it off

Yeah got the spotlight, but don't plan on removing it. For one, it's handy and for two I don't want to plug the hole and repair the relief in the door!. I don't know where you are located, but the last time I was at the pull a part in Pensacola they had quite a few old cop cars with the spot lights still on them.

Top Bottom