• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I have a Colt 1911 that I would like to replace the trigger on.

I am trying to get rid of the side to side & up & down play. I was looking at buying a wilson combat aluminum trigger but I am not sure whether that one will have to be hand fit or if it is more or a drop in. If it is a drop in what other triggers do you guys suggest?

After trying to measure mine without disabling the gun it appears to be the same height or close to the wilson.:mmph:

Also it appears the only difficult part of installing a trigger is making sure you do not adjust the over travel too far. If so I plan to do it myself.

I have read a few articles about how to replace adjust & test the trigger and over travel. I am no gun smith but I have completely disassembled it before.

Thanks Joe

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, side to side, you'd measure the thickness of the trigger and of course, up and down, you'd measure the height. The thing is, how do you know a new one won't do the same thing, it could be the frame that's out. A trigger should move freely in the frame( it should fall out if tipped). A tight trigger makes for trigger creep and such. How much movement are you talking about? My $2k 1911 trigger moves up and down and back and forth about a 1/32th". Btw, what do you mean completely apart? You had the trigger out?

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I figured with some of the 1911 builders here someone might have replaced one or two with a wilson trigger. I will have to just take it apart & measure the trigger.

The trigger is just sloppy. My other 1911 has some movement but not near as much.

I have taken every part of the gun apart, nothing left on the frame. Last time I broke it down & polished the trigger bow, sear, disconnecter etc..

A month or two ago I talked to a gun smith about it & he was only going to charge $30 to install it but I figured it would be a fun project.

Last edited:

CviewGarand

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've installed a few of the Wilson Combat triggers. I believe they call them drop-in parts, but for some reason, that's rarely the case. If you want to eliminate trigger play, your best bet is to get one that's bigger than what you need and file it down very carefully. I believe the Wilson Combat triggers are made a touch oversize to allow a custom fit. The last one I installed, I had to take a couple thousandths off all four surfaces to get it to fit correctly. It's not overly difficult, just time consuming. Slow and steady is the name of the game on that one.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the reply but I have already installed an Ed Brown trigger.

It was oversized like I wanted & I am happy with it.

Only thing it does not offer is the take up tabs if you want to eliminate as much take up as possible. It seems you need a certain amount of take to be safe. Refer to the experts for this.

I would say I have .07" take up before you hit the sear then another.07 from there to full stop off trigger movement.

Not bad & good enough for me. I made sure to test that the sear had enough clearance to pass by the half cock notch, when adjusting the over travel screw.

For what ever reason the Colt stock trigger bow is significantly shorter then the Ed Brown.

Here is one article that has some helpfully information.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0407.htm

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom