First time out with CCW last night. Rookie mistake made.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riverrat

Shooter
    Well wife and I decided to go get a bite to eat and run by Home Depot for some hardware I needed for a repair project. Gun in holster IWB jump in car drive to dinner. Wife points towards the bar area where TV's are tuned to hockey game as if to suggest we sit here......I shake my head no and whisper....I cannot sit in bar area while carrying so we take a booth away from bar. I sit in the booth with my gun toward the wall thinking I would be able to adjust it if needed without drawing attention.
    After a nice dinner we pay tab and I check to be sure I am concealed before standing. Out to car and off to Home Depot and I am thinking that was not so bad. Go inside Home Depot start towards hardware and wife wants to look at bathroom faucets so I suggest we take pictures with Iphone so we can compare prices at Lowes before we buy. "Ohhhh shit where is my phone" It is back at the restaurant. I was so careful to conceal my weapon before standing but did not think about anything else and walked out and left it on the table. Well I got my phone back and all is well but I think I learned a lesson......PAY ATTENTION :nod:

brasshog

Marksman
    Not to make fun of you but that's funny man. My memory isn't as good as it once was and I leave my phone sitting somewhere alot. Your wife will get used to your CCW requirements. Mine knows that I only sit with my back to a wall facing the nearest entrance or exit. It's not paranoia but rather training and experience. I've sat directly next to the front door and had a man walk in (past me) with a rosco (357) screaming and waving his piece (shows my age). Twas a bad day for him I guess. It got worse for him fast. Remember that alot of establishments put the tv's facing the door in order to draw in customers. If you can see the tv then alot of times your back is to the door. Oh..and noob/rookie mistake number #2-always asking the wife if she can see it..."Am I printing"..at some point she will most likely start to lie and say no lol just to shut you up. Be safe and best of luck.

Fletch

Master
    Get a holster with good positive retention asap. A good belt is essential as well. Hang up side down on monkey bars, roll around on the floor with the dogs, and other extreme motions. Once you see a proper holster stays put and the gun stays firmly and safely holstered you won't be sweating the normal everyday activities.

With the bar thing always follow the law of course but remember concealed means concealed. Once you get your system down with the right holster there is no reason anyone should know you are carrying. With all the options available today there really shouldn't be any worries about your firearm making an unexpected appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brasshog

Marksman
    +1 with Fletch here. I forgot to mention how important a good belt is. Trust us...get one that is solid and comfortable. I use a 5.11 belt from ACE hardware in milton. It cured my back pain and really helps hold my holster.

Riverrat

Shooter
    I agree with the belt and will be looking for one this weekend as well as continue to look for better holster. Thanks for the tips guys.

timc

Expert
    Good belt makes all the difference. I wear one made by Bushido Tactical out of Orlando. It wasn't cheap, but it's well worth the money.
    As far as holsters, I'm a fan of kydex. For my Shield I use an Amordillo Concealment. When wearing a Glock, I use a Comp-tac.

LowRiderRed

Master
    +1 with Fletch here. I forgot to mention how important a good belt is. Trust us...get one that is solid and comfortable. I use a 5.11 belt from ACE hardware in milton. It cured my back pain and really helps hold my holster.

I live in Milton. Where is the ACE hardware? There hasn't been one here in quite a few years that I'm aware of.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    IWB Remora is your friend..funny story

JBryan314

Master
    I live in Milton. Where is the ACE hardware? There hasn't been one here in quite a few years that I'm aware of.

It's Hall's Hardware I believe he is talking about. It was an Ace Hardware a while back. It's at the corner of Caroline and Keyser (the road the runs by the cemetery on Berryhill). Across from Texas Roadhouse. I love going into Hall's just to look around. That's also where I got my concealed carry belt, a 5.11.

MAXman

Master
    I use a 2" "garrison belt" that was labeled as a law enforcement duty belt. Not the stiffest option but it's wide and carries the weight well. Also bought at halls.

If your going to use a holster then use one with retention, all of my holsters have to pass the three shakes over a mattress test. I HATE shapeless loose universal holsters, it completely defeats the purpose IMO. I'd rather run grip tape down the pants side of the weapon and stick it iwb(which in fact, I have done and will do again) if I'm going to spend money on leather I want it to be fast to draw and secure. But that's me, either way your rookie mistake was better ham mine.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    lets see the ace hardware 511 belt please...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Well wife and I decided to go get a bite to eat and run by Home Depot for some hardware I needed for a repair project. Gun in holster IWB jump in car drive to dinner. Wife points towards the bar area where TV's are tuned to hockey game as if to suggest we sit here......I shake my head no and whisper....I cannot sit in bar area while carrying so we take a booth away from bar. I sit in the booth with my gun toward the wall thinking I would be able to adjust it if needed without drawing attention.
    After a nice dinner we pay tab and I check to be sure I am concealed before standing. Out to car and off to Home Depot and I am thinking that was not so bad. Go inside Home Depot start towards hardware and wife wants to look at bathroom faucets so I suggest we take pictures with Iphone so we can compare prices at Lowes before we buy. "Ohhhh shit where is my phone" It is back at the restaurant. I was so careful to conceal my weapon before standing but did not think about anything else and walked out and left it on the table. Well I got my phone back and all is well but I think I learned a lesson......PAY ATTENTION :nod:

since i started carrying my phone on a lanyard , it keeps it handy and i have never left it somewhere..

Seanpcola

I have a firm rule (not dissing anyone else's habits): When my wife and I go to a restaurant all cell phones remain with the vehicle. Period.

Seanpcola

But...but.... Doesn't that mean you actually have to (gulp) TALK to her?!?!

I'm usually too busy looking at the waitresses to talk.

Seriously though that is one huge pet peeve of mine. I don't care so much if it's What a burger and I'm eating quick, but Waffle House and above.......no effing phone. I'm glad I'm not young and dating. I doubt there is a girl out there that would go along with it.

Riverrat

Shooter
    Ok I have been gone all day and we did make a trip to Halls Hardware in Milton. Guys it is a cool place to look around and I was able to find me a belt. I picked up the 5.11 Tactial 1.75" double duty for $22.95. It fits and feels good so one more item checked off my list. Again I thank you for all the tips and ideas. I don't feel like I'm going through all this alone. Now I have a question you guys may can help me with......going to southern raceway tonight and I feel like it's ok to carry there based off what I have read. You can't carry at a professional sporting event but do you think that would include a local redneck dirt track?

MAXman

Master
    I dunno, but When in doubt, leave it home. I think the idea behind it is typically when people mix alcohol and rivalry fights ensue. And when people carrying weapons get into fights, well.... That's why bars, football games etc are red zones(how I see it, I didn't write the law though). I know what people say about interpretation and intent and rights in favor of the citizen, but do you want to risk a grey area? I don't think those guys get paid ergo I don't think it qualifys as a pro sporting event, but if your uncomfortable I'd not do it.

That being said I wouldn't be cought there, or anywhere(except a courthouse or airport terminal) without mine. Personally I don't carry mine because it's a status symbol, or a excercise of my rights, or because of the feeling but gives me. I carry mine because the world is a dark, Brutish, violent place, and I want to be prepared "just in case". Large groups make me uneasy, loud noises make me uneasy... You get the idea in sure. I can't recommend to you to do anything illegal. In fact I usually avoid circumstances like this. Either way stay safe, have a good time man.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom