• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I only have one box of Federal HST 147+P left. It seems I have been looking for 6 months or more. I have found the 147 normal but not +P.

If anyone knows of a place that has it please PM if you do not want the world to know or post in the thread.

Or of someone had some to sell or trade that PM me.

Thanks Joe

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's a link to 50 rounds of +p HST for $34.95 but have you considered shooting regular HST depending on what length barrel you are shooting it out of.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-HST-45-ACP-p/p45hst1.htm

The ballistics test of the regular HST is pretty awesome even out of shorter barrels. 13.5 inches of penetration and .67 inches of expansion out of the 4inch barrel of a Glock 19. The +p out of the same G19 penetrated 11.25 inches and expanded to .71 inches. The + P expands a little more at the expense of penetration. Is .04 inches of greater expansion worth a loss of 2.25 inches of penetration?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the link but that is for the 45 +P.

I would use the regular 147s but all my 9mm are subcompacts 3.3" barrels XDS & G26. Seeing how the 147 are only going around 1,050 in a 4" I am more comfortable with the +p out of the short barrel guns.

I have yet to find a short barrel test of 147 threw 4 layers of denim. If you know of one let me know.

Here is the 147+p out of a 3.1 barrel but with no denim. I have no clue why he does bare gel test. Most everybody is wearing some type of clothing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEn9veow9gI

Joe

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the link but that is for the 45 +P.

I would use the regular 147s but all my 9mm are subcompacts 3.3" barrels XDS & G26. Seeing how the 147 are only going around 1,050 in a 4" I am more comfortable with the +p out of the short barrel guns.

I have yet to find a short barrel test of 147 threw 4 layers of denim. If you know of one let me know.

Joe

Oh darn sorry man. I order HST in .45 and 9mm from there and got confused. Getting old I guess.

I would like to see some chrono numbers out of a 9mm xds with regular HST to see how much it gives up velocity wise to the G19. Would be interesting.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where are you finding 147gr HST?

I carry the 147 load all the way down to my G26, I dunno how it performs out of micro compacts like the Shield or XDS. I would wager that its still pretty effective even in the non +p version.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like I said I have been watching certain sites for months. I have not seen in 147+P in 9 months or so. I did see regular 147 a few months back on SG ammo. I have used the site Fletch suggested as well.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks for that!

It confirms my suspicion that the standard pressure HST wasn't giving up much at all in shorter barrels. I will be interested to see what his +p test show. I'm guessing they may give up some penetration due to more expansion like in the test tnoutdoors9 conducted with g19. It appears this bullet reaches it maximum level of performance at velocities between 950 and 1000 FPS. I think it's hands down the premier self-defense load in 9mm if one isn't concerned with barriers which most civilians are not.

I will continue to carry these in my Taurus PT111 G2 with confidence. Do not feel like I'm compromising much with 12+1 of 147 gr HST on tap.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry the Federal HST in .45 ACP 230 gr and 9 mm 147 gr. From my research the HST ballistic test are hard to beat. Just my 1cent.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where are you finding 147gr HST?

I carry the 147 load all the way down to my G26, I dunno how it performs out of micro compacts like the Shield or XDS. I would wager that its still pretty effective even in the non +p version.

SG Ammo and Ammunition Depot will usually get them in after awhile. I used to get the 50 rounds boxes at Academy but haven't seen them in over a year. The 135 gr Hornady Critical Duty is available and pretty good stuff as well. It doesn't expand quite as much but really outperforms the HST if barriers are involved. The critical duty still penetrates and expands rather impressively after going through common barriers. Bud's Police supply has them for $25 for a box of 50 which is a deal that can't be beat on premium self-defense ammo imo. They will sell to any active or retired military, police, emt's, fireman, pilot's, etc.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like how this guy shoots multiple rounds vs TNoutdoors one shot tests. The thing I noticed on this test is the average diameter of the denim test was much lower then other tests I have seen at .525. I still like the penetration though.

The smallest average diameter of other 147+p & Non+p in different barrel lengths tests I have seen is .612 now that is not a huge amount but every bit helps.

If I was using a 4" barrel I would not use the +p.

Thanks for that!

It confirms my suspicion that the standard pressure HST wasn't giving up much at all in shorter barrels. I will be interested to see what his +p test show. I'm guessing they may give up some penetration due to more expansion like in the test tnoutdoors9 conducted with g19. It appears this bullet reaches it maximum level of performance at velocities between 950 and 1000 FPS. I think it's hands down the premier self-defense load in 9mm if one isn't concerned with barriers which most civilians are not.

I will continue to carry these in my Taurus PT111 G2 with confidence. Do not feel like I'm compromising much with 12+1 of 147 gr HST on tap.

Top Bottom