• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    #1 Is the well mannered.22LR: utility, survival, fun, economical and it has hands down, the widest variety of firearms to shoot it through. If you really know its limitations, you can also deliver far beyond its diminutive reputation.
    There nothing on four legs that walks northamerican has not been killed with a .22. For only one gun and chambering, it would be a 12 ga shotgun. The only one better would a gun that fires .22 and also a shotgun round.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    There nothing on four legs that walks northamerican has not been killed with a .22. For only one gun and chambering, it would be a 12 ga shotgun. The only one better would a gun that fires .22 and also a shotgun round.
    Savage 24..... someday. OR chamber insert, rifled. My tactical 12 can shoot 45 COLT!, 357, 9MM or .22!!! And hearing safe I might add, wink,wink.

Attachments

• 20200506_135428.jpg
      20200506_135428.jpg
      3.6 MB · Views: 84
    Last edited:

MaxNr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got to go the way I was raised. When I was a teen aged Marine living on a hilltop, I slept with a 1911 under my head. Carried one later in the Army. I pack a 380 now for its weight and handed down my Commander to a family member. These days, I have deep faith in my Mossberg in a size twelve.

K-9

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    5.45x39 because I just like shooting it and it is cheap... but thank goodness for 22LR in ammo droughts. (I assume you mean favorite for shooting paper plates).

If ammo were free: 45ACP

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Other Favs:
    .40S&W. I'm a firm believer in the caliber. My felt recoil is on par with a 9mm in the same platform. Does it wear out guns faster? Maybe but dissimilar calibers wear guns at different levels. Doesn't 10mm wear out a gun faster than .40 or 357 wear out a gun faster than .38Spl? Nobody mentions such trivial comparisons unless it's politics to justify a new purchase (FBI). If we're honest, most of the late model firearms we look at/buy: have more cosmetic wear than cycling/bore wear. I know how and when to reload, capacity is not an issue and there's "Plus" base plates/mags so.... This is my primary personal defense caliber.

.45ACP. A Fav because of my history with it and that is why its inherently tied to the 1911. I don't shoot it in anything but a 1911 though I have another gun in that caliber. Equally I don't care for 1911s that are not 45APC. Its a PB&J thing. In it's average form, its a low pressure round and relatively easy to shoot and control when married with an appropriate pistol. I'm quite comfortable moving it up to duty status but that's less frequent with weather/clothing here. It is my hunting backup/camp sidearm cartridge in bear, wolf and kitty country.

7.62×51/.308. I have time in grade with this one too. There's a lot of flatter, faster and arguably more accurate cartridges but there's a lot of utility and economy with this caliber that can still kill what needs killing if you do your part. There's always been a wide choice of 30 cal (.308) projectiles (pre craziness) and surplus/import cut shooting costs too. I would be quite comfortable if this was my only centerfire cartridge.

12 Gauge, the King of Trauma. Its akin to direct fire artillery on a smaller scale. Great shell selection and power versitility. I think there's diminishing returns on loads longer than 2&3/4. With a side port, bottom tube feed and skills: you can tactical or combat reload and keep rolling. When the Game Warden comes to check you and says your supposed to have a shell limiting plug in the feed tube: Priceless!

.223/5.56 The Bastard Child. This caliber is only as popular as it is because of the design of the AR15 and mag capacity. It's the default basic chambering. The cartridge excels with light projectiles out of 22-24 in barrels, but its typical application is with 16 inch barrels and med-heavy for caliber projectiles. We know its inefficiency in short pistol barrels but it's done because of the "platform" not for ballistics. It was pre craziness economical, and had import and surplus availability. It's a popular cartridge, capable of good accuracy, but the general shooting public chooses to neuter it ballistically and Mfrs obliged. Following the Military lead, so go the masses on rifle PB&J. It's not a favorite cartridge of mine but the platform drives it being in the tool box. Commonality has value in several areas and if I had to step off with one rifle: it would be in a caliber that could easily be fed.

YMMV and that's the great thing about calibers: there'sa lot to choose from.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I got to go the way I was raised. When I was a teen aged Marine living on a hilltop, I slept with a 1911 under my head. Carried one later in the Army. I pack a 380 now for its weight and handed down my Commander to a family member. These days, I have deep faith in my Mossberg in a size twelve.
    missed a chance on a .380 beretta ,14 rnd capacity years ago, finding myself wanting one recently..

Latest posts

Top Bottom