• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know this is an open ended question but if you only had one choice of powder and boolit what would it be..Have got real bad eyesite in the old master eye so shots will hopefully be on every thing from parie dogs to deer and probally no more than 250 or 300 yards at most...Don't like the thought of wounding deer. Parie dogs don't much care. :help:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used nothing but Nosler Partition on deer for 40 years but SAWMAN has talked me into Barnes TSX bullets. I have some loaded up but have not killed anything but paper yet. 130 or 150 gr. should work. For the dogs I would use something cheaper like Sierra or Hornady. They all shoot pretty good.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ill' tell ya what....in Florida these little deer don't take an awfull lot of killin'. You will get a somewhat better trajectory with the 130gr Barnes TSX and a little less recoil. IMO another choice would be to not load it up as hot and save on the powder and shoulder. The Barnes 130gr TSX will be a real killer at 2800fps outta a .30-'06.

Quite a few powders are applicable for this load/chambering combo. --- SAWMAN

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, I have several boxes of 180 grain store bought because that about all wallmart has in stock but just wondered what worked for people reloading for smaller and lighter game... There are so many offerings that it gives me somewhere to start...Again thanks

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ill' tell ya what....in Florida these little deer don't take an awfull lot of killin'. You will get a somewhat better trajectory with the 130gr Barnes TSX and a little less recoil. IMO another choice would be to not load it up as hot and save on the powder and shoulder. The Barnes 130gr TSX will be a real killer at 2800fps outta a .30-'06.

That's what I would do. 130 TSX loaded to starting loads. It will do a fine job on any animal in the Southeast and sighting in don't hurt so much.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John and SAWMAN, I bought a new 700BDL and was buying ammo for the first time and the shop I was buying ammo at had FUSSION 30/06...170 GR LITE loads and I bought a box to try. Being sort of gunshy about recoil I tried them first out of the new gun. They are loaded down to 2000 FPS and are supposred to have only 1/2 the recoil. Trajectory is about like throwing a rock but do they shoot a 3 shot group at 25 yards that is the best I have ever shot with any gun I have ever owned. I have it up on the wall. Would be a great load for a woman or child to shoot from a blind... OK the group was pretty much 1 hole. Not clover leaf. Thats why it is on the wall. I know it is not 100 yards but I was impressed with the way the rifle shot. Now to move up to the hotter stuff . I will diffently try the 130 grain loads because I really. don't like to get beat to death if there is a long day of shooting. Thanks again for the input.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'll tell ya Snow Bird,that 170gr Fusion @ 2000 will kill anything in this area that needs killin'. If you want me to work up the ballistics of that load and send them to you I will. I'd be willing to bet though,sighted in dead on at 25yds will put your PBR as far out there as you will need unless you plan a trip out west. Then...sight it in for 1/2 low at 50. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    10-4 sir......will get that to you today. I am kinda curious about this also. I have a new 300BO and will be researching the heavy/slow bullets myself. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You will have a PM incoming in a couple of minutes re. the ballistics of the above load. If you require anything else please let me know.

I did run this at different zero's(50,75,100yds)and the 25yd zero gives you better PBR out to the "normal" ranges.

Stay Safe --- SAWMAN

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

YES! What Sawman says!

Accurate in the A Bolt.
    No need to send them flying at light speed to take advantage of low recoil, and gets the job done on the little deer around here.

null_zps559aeb9b.jpg

null_zpsd3686ce1.jpg

null_zps37c1df22.jpg

The also shoot good in the Garand I got from Shootinstars a few years ago and gonna try to nab another deer with it next season.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do the other bullet makers have that you can cross over to the Barnes TSX bullet, like Hornady bullets like the FTX, SST, etc. or others like Speer's, etc. tons of bullets out there to choose from?

Top Bottom