• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mcnpeter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Fellow vets and enlisted/commissioned folks-
    Just went to the BX on Eglin earlier and the majority of their Smith and Wesson M&P line is 25% off. (there are other firearms with the same percentage off as well).
    Their M&P Compact 9mm was selling for $466.00 I believe. that would put the firearm at approximately $350 out the door. The clerk stated they are selling with this discount until they run out.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Can a vet, not retired, use the BX? I did 4 but did not retire.
    Disabled vets with a VA medical card can. I got an ID at the Eglin visitor's station. Hurlburt allows access by just showing the VA med card...same with the NAS Pensacola exchange (no guns for sale there).

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Would a 30% percentage VA disability medical card qualify? (Asking for my next door neighbor.) I wonder if that is at all AAFE's Exchanges or just Eglin/ Hurlburt Field?
    Any level of service-related disability for which the VA will issue a medical card will qualify at any AAFES and Navy exchange/commissary (unless, I'd guess, the base's access is severely restricted), thanks to a new rule/law passed a couple of years back....supposedly to better recognize the service of the disabled vet, but probably more so to help bolster sagging exchange and commissary sales (IMO). I believe that 100% disabled vets have always had access (as they should).

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    How are the ammo prices at Eglin BX?
    Hopefully someone can answer that, but I've never shopped for ammo, have just browsed the gun counter. I understand the sales are great (never been there for any), but the couple of times I've visited I didn't find anything to buy. I've been told that additional discounts can sometimes be had by using a "star (credit) card", but I wasn't interested in getting one.

Mcnpeter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Disabled vets with a VA medical card can. I got an ID at the Eglin visitor's station. Hurlburt allows access by just showing the VA med card...same with the NAS Pensacola exchange (no guns for sale there).

(edited for clarity)
    You would need someone to sign you on…but I don’t know the stipulations of actually BUYING the gun.

Mcnpeter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Hopefully someone can answer that, but I've never shopped for ammo, have just browsed the gun counter. I understand the sales are great (never been there for any), but the couple of times I've visited I didn't find anything to buy. I've been told that additional discounts can sometimes be had by using a "star (credit) card", but I wasn't interested in getting one.
    Ammo prices aren’t really any different than anywhere else

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

They have deals time to time for using your star card like additional 10% off and 12 mos no interest. Mostly seen the 10% on S&W stuff.

They usually have the same deals online through the exchange and others as well. I’ve purchased a few deals online and you can have it shipped to Hurlburt or Eglin. Way better selection online for sure

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You would need someone to sign you on…...
    My 'DBIDS' (Defense Biometric IDentification System) card, issued at the Eglin visitor center (upon presentation of my VA medical card) allowed me to enter Eglin AFB, until it expired. Further explanation is below.

My VA medical card, shown to the gate guard, allows me to enter Hurlburt. Initially, Hurlburt also issued me a DBIDS card, but subsequently began accepting the VA medical card itself for access.

I haven't visited Eglin in quite a while, and my DBIDS card has expired (it was good for 2 years). Today, I don't know if they still issue new cards or if they now just accept the VA Medical cards like Hurlburt. I'll stop by one day and find out.

There was no need for anyone to sign me in at either base, once the proper credentials were presented to the gate guard, and my wife accompanied me to both locations, with no questions asked of her.

When making purchases at the BX or commissary, the VA medical card must be presented as proof of eligibility.

Mcnpeter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My 'DBIDS' (Defense Biometric IDentification System) card, issued at the Eglin visitor center (upon presentation of my VA medical card) allowed me to enter Eglin AFB, until it expired. Further explanation is below.

My VA medical card, shown to the gate guard, allows me to enter Hurlburt. Initially, Hurlburt also issued me a DBIDS card, but subsequently began accepting the VA medical card itself for access.

I haven't visited Eglin in quite a while, and my DBIDS card has expired (it was good for 2 years). Today, I don't know if they still issue new cards or if they now just accept the VA Medical cards like Hurlburt. I'll stop by one day and find out.

There was no need for anyone to sign me in at either base, once the proper credentials were presented to the gate guard, and my wife accompanied me to both locations, with no questions asked of her.

When making purchases at the BX or commissary, the VA medical card must be presented as proof of eligibility.
    The way it works now is you will have to affiliate your Florida Driver's License with your VA Card at the visitor's center for Eglin. This was set in place in November or December I believe.

Top Bottom