• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why not use bottleneck cartridges in revolvers?
    Please explain in basic, easy to understand- 3rd grade reading level terminology

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This may be way off base.. but I think its because in a revolver the bullet is basically jumping an air gap (small as it may be) in order for a bottle neck cartridge to sit in the cylinder it would have to be headspaced correctly for the shell to sit perfectly in the cylinder and I know that with variations in bullet manufacturers, and reloads the shells could have over all length differences.. not to mention when fired the shell will attempt to expand, and wedge in the cylinder

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What would the benefit be of using a necked case?

I'm spitballing here so don't take the below as any sort of gospel.

Necking the cartridge is going to reduce the volume of the shell (assuming the same diameter at the base and same OAL)

Do you want the shell to be a larger diameter than the bullet? why? (I'm asking, seriously)

Straight walled cases seem like they're easier to manufacture.

Taper on a case (maybe not what you're talking about) facilitates extraction but for a revolver I don't see the point (doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about by any means).

Just typing out loud.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There have been quite a few bottleneck wildcat revolver cartridges through the years 357 B&D a 44 mag necked down to 357. Many of the bottleneck wildcats suffered from bullet setback due to recoil and died out except for a few hardcore believers.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would the benefit be of using a necked case?

I'm spitballing here so don't take the below as any sort of gospel.

Necking the cartridge is going to reduce the volume of the shell (assuming the same diameter at the base and same OAL)

Do you want the shell to be a larger diameter than the bullet? why? (I'm asking, seriously)

Straight walled cases seem like they're easier to manufacture.

Taper on a case (maybe not what you're talking about) facilitates extraction but for a revolver I don't see the point (doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about by any means).

Just typing out loud.

They're faster. More powder behind a smaller bullet.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought the reason for necking down a pistol cartridge was to fit a high powered round into a shorter shell, Like a 357sig so it could fit in a semi auto handgun. But in a revolver you can keep a longer case since you dont have to wrap your hand around it like you do with a semi auto. Instead of necking down a revolver case they could just make the cylinder a little longer and keep a straight walled case.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think there are a lot of great hunting applications for them.

many great ones....that's why we have contenders and encores and them specialty kinds that a couple here have
    with the removable breech ?? can't remember the name :noidea:

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought the reason for necking down a pistol cartridge was to fit a high powered round into a shorter shell, Like a 357sig so it could fit in a semi auto handgun. But in a revolver you can keep a longer case since you dont have to wrap your hand around it like you do with a semi auto. Instead of necking down a revolver case they could just make the cylinder a little longer and keep a straight walled case.

I think of it like comparing a 308 and a 45-70 for rifles. Almost all the necked pistols cartridges are bad ass like 7.62x25, 9x25 & 5.7 and if they did have the added available length of the cylinder they could make them more bad ass. Even have longer barrels, more bullet choices

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I found this and it makes sense. I guess this is what pompnewbie was saying lol
    "HammerBite
    November 16, 2007, 12:17 AM
    This is just a guess, but I suspect that when the round fires the pressure would try to straighten out the shoulder of the case, thereby wedging the case head against the recoil shield and tying up the gun."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom