• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Been at the home place in Arizona for the winter. Working on the place, unending projects, but manage to pursue my favorite type of hunting, which is predators. Been a fair winter, lots of tall grass in many places which make it tough to catch coyotes coming in, so I have to watch where I pick my stands. Been taking my new pup with me last month or so, he has suckered a handful of coyotes so far and catching on to the game. Not a stellar winter for numbers, but I haven't put in hours and days I usually do, but have managed to take around 35 thus far. Weather has been cool lately, but I see the temps of the home place in Crestview have been keeping right with southern Arizona.....COLD!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good yotes there Vic. I really miss the coyote hunting in Maine. Don't miss the cold though. Anyway,had a couple of friends up north that used dogs to help out. They were pretty effective once you got them in tuned with what they are supposed to be doing.

Pretty country you have there. Always wanted to hunt that vast country with my thermal. Would be a real hoot being able to spot animals coming in,at night,at the longer distances. Would consider buying another 220Swift or 22-250. No use for those down here so I sold them.

Good Huntin' ... Stay Safe --- SAWMAN

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where at in Arizona? I was just out there for 10 days in December. We landed in Phoenix, stayed in Prescott Valley and even made it up to Flagstaff.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Far southeastern corner of the state Stag. My place is about 20 miles from Mexico, and 40 miles from New Mexico. High desert country here at 4,200 ft. elevation, not low and nasty like that desert around Phoenix and Tucson. Lots of knee high grass, mesquite,and scrub oak and juniper at a slightly higher elevation....pretty country for sure.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Far southeastern corner of the state Stag. My place is about 20 miles from Mexico, and 40 miles from New Mexico. High desert country here at 4,200 ft. elevation, not low and nasty like that desert around Phoenix and Tucson. Lots of knee high grass, mesquite,and scrub oak and juniper at a slightly higher elevation....pretty country for sure.

So what r u really hunting for there on the border? Can we see some of those photo's? And u should get that poor dog a teflon vest since u r puting him in harms way! Those yotes r huge!!!

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You know; Ive lived my whole life down on the border, grew up on my folks place, a quarter mile away, which I can see from the kitchen window of mine. In all that time as a kid, and my adult life here, Ive never once had a problem with illegals. My wife gives me hell, because when they come around, they are usually thirsty and hungry, so I always show them the water spigot, and if Im feeling generous, I'll make up a sandwhich or some tortillas and beans then send them on their way. She says they are just casing the place out and I should put the dog on them and run their asses off.
    I argue that by giving a little water and grub, it will generate just the opposite response and they will move on without any revenge in their mind? It must work, never been burglarized nor had any altercation of any kind. I have met them at the pasture fence visibly armed when there is more than a couple to see what they want, but have never had the feeling I might have trouble.
    In all the time I lived with my folks, I can't ever remember having doors locked....don't remember if the doors had any locks? I seldom lock my doors here, which also pisses off my wife. My standard answer is Sweetheart, we are in the middle of nowhere, what good will a locked door do, when the house has a dozen big windows, do you think anyone with serious intent is going to jiggle the door, which is just to the right of a 4X6 picture window and say; "damn, they have the place locked up".
    Out coyote hunting, Ive seen hundreds of illegals, very few in our area carrying dope packs, but I have watched them from a distance thru the scope. Once was easing along a long depression which bordered a big open grassy area I was going to call, and saw what I thought was illegal trash, which is usually discarded blankets and plastic milk jugs they carry water in. Sun was not quit up, so it was gray light and frost on everything. I stuck my head in under the umbrella of a mesquite grove looking at the blankets strewn around. I usually go thru the back packs and old jackets just out of curiousity. Turned out there were about a dozen Mexicans under each of the discarded blankets. I spoke to make sure they were living Mexicans and not dead, and one by one they pulled the blankets from over their heads to acknowledge me. Told them I was just hunting and meant no problem for them....of course it helped I had a rifle and they didn't I suppose?

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I hear that Frank. Times change, and they are no longer just looking for a weeks work to make a few bucks to take back to mexico, there are some bad sonsabitches out there now. The local area has seen more crime and a few murders the last few years. A rancher in the area was killed a few years back, Robb Krentz was his name. He was in his four wheeler with his dog and was armed, but still got shot by a lone individual, guy even shot the dog, and Robb was apparently just pulling up to see if he needed help. I pay attention and watch my business, but just hate to get caught up in the paranoia so many have here on the border.
    A few of my hunting associates have found marijuana packs stashed while out hunting, and that's the main worry, coming across drugs and those wanting to protect it. I have not yet encountered any drug runners face to face, seen them in a few canyons, where they take the path of least resistence, and watched them with rifle scope or binocular. Ive not seen them armed, but hear of sightings that confirm several carry rifles. Sure different times, and not good.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    More power to you sir ....... however ........ I would find it extremely difficult to have fun hunting under those conditions. It is a true SHAME that this country's elected leaders(both Dems and Repubs)have intentionally allowed,even facilitated this to happen.

I truly feel sorry for the farmers,land owners,ranchers,down on the border. Some,who are simply trying to maintain the family farm that has been owned by the same family for 75+ years or so. The situation down there is super sad ! --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom