• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well the Party Pig is dead! The Mardi Gras has ended for this 140lb Boar! Came out at 8:50 w a sounder, heavy fog covered the plot, white lights were useless, the green kill light worked the best. Hard to make out in the scope 50 yds I took the shot 6.8 and the 110TSX, there was smoke like I had shot off a muzzle loader, had to wait forever for it to clear. Then put the light where I had shot and NOTHING! shined about 1/2 the area I could see thru the fog and nothing, could not believe it so I got down and checked all the edges and trails around the plot, nothing! Crossed the road and behind the bay tree half way to the Spring hole there and he was lying in the taller grass dead about 40yds from where he was shot!

PICT0342.jpg

PICT0350.jpg

PICT0339.jpg

PICT0344.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Somebody ask Franklin if he'll be making the switch to the Hornady 120gr SST's fairly soon. Go ahead...I dare ya. --- SAWMAN

abailey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I finally got my first hog kill (156 lbs) with the 6.8 using the 120's weekend before last. I didn't take any pictures, but the entry wound was the size of the round, the exit was about the size of a golfball. in one ear, out the jaw. Drt! Very pleased

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hey good for you!! Congrats! Funny but I get almost the same groupings and Point of impact with the barnes 110 or the Hornady 120 so I have a mag each loaded and whatever I decide to shoot is what I put in the gun.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell yea Frank,good job,you keep it up you will be buying another freezer next week.Surprised the old 6.8 let him even move another inch let alone that far,was it a misplaced shot if you dont mind me asking?I have not got a chance at a hog with mine but am batting 100% with the deer in the DRT category.Possibly the best round out for these parts for sure..

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you zoom in on the tripod pic, on top of shoulder there is an entrance wound ( pink spot a few inches below ear) and it exited behind the shoulder on other side. It double lunged, MAYBE a little high and I don't think it was even 40yds it made it, the fog was just so thick I was amazed he got a shot n it. it was my first experience seeing the 6.8 and I was surprised it didint make a bigger exit hole, perhaps due to being a close shot it didn't expand as much.....

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I already did buy a dedicated freezer not have 3...lol
    Well I was shooting for the neck he was squared away for me but at the last minute he was pushed and I got him in the neck but then it went down and out between and just behind the front legs. Second one I have had not DRT the other went 20'. It was just a difficult shot with the fog and the other hogs.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Steve, the closer the target is to the end of your bbl the MORE the bullet should expand. It's a speed sorta thang.

I personally feel that the 110's are not designed for suck "slow" speed. Driven at another 200fps or so I do believe that they would do a better job. The reason that I chose the 85's were the extra speed obtained. This is also why I chose to carry another 2 inches of bbl...to help obtain that extra speed.

I think that the reason why so many people like the 95gr TTSX is because of the polymer tip that aids in expansion. If the 110's were designed like this they would surely tend to open faster. However, I believe that Barnes wanted a deep penetrator for the 6.8 that is why no poly tip AND the 110gr weight. If I were invited to a 400lb boar shoot,I would surely pick the 110's like Frank uses. BUT....for our purposes and the size of the "normal" hog that we target,I believe that the 110gr TSX just simply gives too much penetration and not enough hydrostatic shock. I's like a spear....I want a hand grenade.

Keeping all the above in mind..........dead is dead. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Besides........if Frank were a REAL man he would hunt hogs with one of these. What do ya'll think ?? --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00869.jpg
      DSC00869.jpg
      186.2 KB · Views: 146

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The barnes 110TSX is favored by a lot of people with more experience than I w bullets and the 6.8, Who is it Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat that favors the Barnes 110. I have never lost a hog using them, this was the first one to run at all, till they fail, which is not gonna happen, I will use them? If I was going to shoot the 85gr I might as well go back to a 5.56 rd, I like the extra weight of the 110. I think the Hornady 120SST is a great rd also, has taken 900 hogs for TxLawman over on the 6.8 forum, hard to argue with success.

Top Bottom