• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just went to look...not sitting and waiting. 1st peanut field, no hogs, but 4 coyotes eating peanuts. Was able to walk to about 50yd away from the closest one. It finally got suspicious and trotted towards the others. They trotted about 200yd away, stopped, and started eating again. Walked towards them, and the same thing of trotting about 200yd away and stopping. Strange...normally coyotes will run away. Owner doesn't want coyotes shot, so I was just trying to scare them off. Leaving the field, I saw a 5th coyote about 75yd away...would've been an easy shot.

OK, let's check the field where Sawman killed a boar last night. Walk to that field and slowly poke my head around the corner. 16 hogs of various sizes eating peanuts, but in not the best direction to shoot and further out in the field. Slowly walk north along the edge of the field and get even with them, with me between them and the direction of where they live. Wait, wait, wait about 30 minutes. Finally the leader decides to leave...moon getting brighter and brighter. Plenty of time for me to calm down and get in a stable position. Closer, closer, closer, heading right for me. Lead stops and looks in my direction. Put cross hairs on the forehead, just above the eyes. Squeeze trigger, and another hog drops. Hogs run in the direction I thought they would, on both sides of me. Try two running hog shots, but nothing. Young sow down.

This now makes 2 times in a row I've aimed at a larger hog and hit another one. Time to take the rifle to the range and make sure it's still sighted in.

AE977E77-4F97-4CE2-B618-E5A5C98E1665.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I don't believe that.
    I do not believe that you aimed at one hog and hit/killed another. (ESPECIALLY USING THERMAL)
    I have seen this before. With woodchuck shooters,prairie dog shooters,coyote shooters,and even deer shooters. (my sport in 1997)
    You hit the one you were aiming at. You just forgot which one you were aiming at. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: And don't try to retaliate by telling people about me looking for my glasses the other night !!

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Weather forecast says sunny at noon for checking my sight setting. That will confirm it was me or the sights. Distance of the shot was easily under 50 yards. Hmmm, the jerk behind the trigger? Well I thought I’d calmed down during the long wait and this hog was not shot in the head (until I finished her off).

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    "This now makes 2 times in a row I've aimed at a larger hog and hit another one. Time to take the rifle to the range and make sure it's still sighted in."

Went to the range. Rifle was still sighted in. Any misses were MY FAULT, darn it! Well, at least I know it's sighted in.

:oops:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How many hogs were in your screen when you pulled the trigger ??
    Was your targeted hog moving ?? --- SAWMAN

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "This now makes 2 times in a row I've aimed at a larger hog and hit another one. Time to take the rifle to the range and make sure it's still sighted in."

Went to the range. Rifle was still sighted in. Any misses were MY FAULT, darn it! Well, at least I know it's sighted in.

:oops:

never take the blame yourself when something goes wrong. When I screw up in front of witnesses I just say-"Frank T screwed me up". Most people accept that readily.

Reactions: FLT

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    sometimes the heat signature makes them look bigger than they are...that was a pretty good miss you threw at that one...BTW

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    How many hogs were in your screen when you pulled the trigger ??
    Was your targeted hog moving ?? --- SAWMAN

Target hog stopped, put its head up and looked in my direction. Lead hog in middle of screen, hogs jammed up behind it and going off the screen to the left, so not all were on the screen. Thermal on its lowest power of 2.25x. I walked up and down rows looking for the dead lead hog.

Top Bottom