• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I just wanted to make everyone aware that this sport/game is available in our area. The Panhandle Cowboys shoot at ERGC the second Sunday of every month, the Panhandle Cattle Company shoots the 4th Saturday every month in Chipley and I have it on good authority that a new club is going to start in January at the big range in Holt. There are also two clubs in Tallahassee, one shoots the second Saturday and the other the third Saturday so lots of opportunities available.

If you don't know what this is just search YouTube for Cowboy Action Shooting and there are hours of videos to watch. We dress up in "cowboy" attire and shoots guns or replicas of guns that were used in the old west. Single action revolvers, pistol caliber lever action rifles and either lever action, 97 winchester pump, or side by side shotguns are used on every stage. A match is usually 5 or 6 stages at the monthly level but annual, state, regional, national and world matches are larger.
    Only lead bullets are allowed and we shoot steel plate targets. There are lots of different shooting styles allowed such as two handed, duelist (one handed) and gunfighter (gun in each hand) and many different categories to shoot in. A couple of the categories also have clothing requirements and gun requirements. All of the rules can be found on the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) website where you can download the rule book.
    Each stage has it's own set of instructions and order in which the targets are shot. Every stage has a starting line usually taken from a western movie like "dying ain't much of a livin". Each shooter is timed and at the beep of the timer shoots the stage. Most stages are ten pistol shots, ten rifle shots and four plus shotgun shots. Every stage has three spotters and they call out the misses or declare a shooter "clean".
    Every shooter is required to come up with an alias or western sounding nickname. My alias is Jack Spade. This is a fantasy game so it is all part of the fun. Some go to the effort to completely create a character and stay in character the whole time at a match. This is not quick draw, that is a completely different sport. It is also not re-enacting where clothing and equipment are required to be as authentic as possible, there is a different organization (NCOWS) if that is your thing. Some people go to a lot of time and expense on their outfits, a lot just shoot in boots, jeans, long sleeve shirt and cowboy hat. My first couple of outfits came from the goodwill store, khaki slacks with no pleats and a long sleeve shirt with the collar cut off. Total cost $5. I already had the boots.
    Almost all the matches are open to spectators just be sure to bring eye and ear protection. If you think you might be interested come on out and watch a match. At the last match at ERGC we had a couple of guys come out to watch and when it was over a couple of us volunteered our guns and let them shoot a stage.
    A bit of advice, go to a match, see what it is about and talk to some of the shooters before going out and buying what you think will work for this game. It is way less expensive to buy the right stuff the first time.
    I have known about this sport since the early 90's but just got into it about a year ago. I have had so much fun doing it and met so many great people I just had to share it. There is a saying that you "come for the shooting but stay for the people" and I have found that to be very true.
    If you have any questions feel free to post them here or send me a PM.

Last edited:

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Shooting at Chipley today, take 77 south, watch for the signs. Spectators welcome so if you are interested or curious about it come on out and watch. Shooting starts at 9, depending on number of shooters probably be done around noon.

rmsks3

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Shooting at Chipley today, take 77 south, watch for the signs. Spectators welcome so if you are interested or curious about it come on out and watch. Shooting starts at 9, depending on number of shooters probably be done around noon.

Good luck and bring home a ribbon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Cowboy Action Shooting is so much fun! I encourage anyone interested to go to a match and check it out! Lots of great folks at both clubs who are very welcoming to new shooters. Plus, it's always good to practice shooting the "AWB Proof" firearms.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Cowboy Action Shooting is so much fun! I encourage anyone interested to go to a match and check it out! Lots of great folks at both clubs who are very welcoming to new shooters. Plus, it's always good to practice shooting the "AWB Proof" firearms.
    wags68, do you shoot at the clubs I mentioned? What is your Alias?

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We used to before we moved to North Alabama a few years ago. My Alias is Briscoe Kid (I am a big Bruce Campbell fan) and wife's alias is Smokin' Lacy Tanner.

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes, we are about an hour or so away. Unfortunately, we have not had a chance to shoot SASS events since we moved. Hope to get back into it next match.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Shooting a "Wild Bunch" match this weekend. Shot on the same range and targets as a Cowboy match except you can use guns that were used in the movie "The Wild Bunch". So instead of two single action pistols you use a 1911. The shotgun can be an 1897 winchester pump or a model 12 winchester pump. The rifle has to be a lever action .40 caliber or larger. I shoot a .45 colt rifle. Usually have to do between 3 and 5 mag changes per stage. Can dress in WWI military uniforms, cowboy clothes or Mexican bandit clothes. This match is shot at Talon range in Tallahassee with the Red Hills Rangers and is shot on the 5th saturday of the month.

Top Bottom