• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joeburg185

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there anywhere locally to buy media for tumbling or other alternatives to avoid shipping fees.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you have to have corn cob or can you use crushed walnut? If you go with crushed walnut, you can get it at most any pet store labeled as lizard bedding.

joeburg185

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm actually just getting started reloading well gathering supplies. I just figured this is one area I could cut cost. Thank you I will have to go and see what its priced at.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walnut is fine..corncob works best on dirty brass, but if you are tumbling fairly clean brass walnut works great.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    shred up a dryer sheet & put it in with the media & it will collect most of the dirt so the brass gets shinier & the media lasts longer

You can also use a bit of paper towel...been doing that for years. Makes the media last a long time.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody that bought brass from me can vouch for corn cobb and Midway's brass polish. I think I heard Air Products on Palafox has blasting media, might give them a call.

Rick

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    shred up a dryer sheet & put it in with the media & it will collect most of the dirt so the brass gets shinier & the media lasts longer

You can also use a bit of paper towel...been doing that for years. Makes the media last a long time.

X3. A used dryer sheet works better than a new one and you can also use small squares cut up from an old t-shirt. The t-shirt idea doesn't work quite as well, but you can wash the squares in a laundry bag and re-use them over and over.

From my experience, walnut seems to clean the brass better and corn cob seems to polish it better. I use about 1/3 walnut and 2/3 corn cob mix, along with a little Nu Finish wax car polish. I drip the polish in while the tumbler is running, then use my hands to break up the clumps that appear. Dump the brass in after it has been running for 5-10 minutes and tumble for 2-3 hours using a landscape light timer to automatically shut off the tumber.

joeburg185

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanx for all the input. My tumbler will be here next week. Can't wait to get started.

Top Bottom