• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Friends, I am researching a good all round .300 Win Mag platform Rem 700 or Win 70 or even a BAR but then I thought about some single shot breaktop rifles especially since I can always swap out a barrel for a new caliber. What is your experience with these modular rifles and what is your favorite!

-Ardiemus.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I now own, and have owned in the past, several of the older T/C Contenders,and Encore's. In the "early years" I owned a T/C Contender's chambered in 444Marlin,44Rem Mag,445 Super Mag,30-30Win,223Rem,45-70 Gov't,and several others. My wife still has an older Contender frame with a 23",30-30Win bbl(now re-chambered to 30-30AI)that she has had for some 25'ish years. This little short,light weight,and quick handling gun has taken black bear,moose,the bigger Maine deer,coyotes,and several woodchucks. In Florida she has killed deer and hogs with this gun. She will not let go of it no matter how hard I try to get her something "new and better".

For your needs,the higher pressure loads,WITH allot of case head thrust,you will need to stick to the T/C Encore for it's added receiver strength. I now own, and would highly recommend, the T/C Encore Pro Hunter system. It can be had as just a frame,frame and stock,or the complete gun. The frame is the only thing that is actually regulated as a firearm by the BATFE. Similar to a AR lower. You can buy the complete gun chambered in 300WM and then add bbls of your choosing at a later date. This,pretty much,any bbl. The "NORMAL" ones go from 17HMR to 416Rigby. BUT.....there are aftermarket bbl manufacturers that can supply just about anything for your needs. This includes the T/C Pro Shop. You can also get shotgun and M/L bbls for the gun.

The Encore Pro Hunter system is a great idea. Add a bbl with scope and your zero stays the same. So does your LOP,trigger,approximate weight,length,action operation,and general feel of the gun. ALSO.......the triggers are super easy to work on(mine is 2lbs with NO creep)and the accuracy is generally great. My 28",7mm Rem Mag bbl will shoot the 130gr SMK's into groups right at 1/2" pretty regular.

Would suggest that you put allot of research into the Encore's before you finalize your decision. --- SAWMAN

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've not owned a .300 but for a short while, had a .338 WinMag.

It was a bit much for me even with a brake. It's gone now and has been replaced with a .30-06.

The rifle with folding stock, scope, frame and barrel for the '06 is about 7lbs. The .338 was about 8.

I'm guessing if you can deal with the recoil or get a more efficient brake that I had, you'd be very pleased.

My favorite barrels for the Encore are 6.5x55, 7.62x39 in pistol configuration. In rifle, it's a .300 Blackout suppressed.

Top Bottom