Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Price
    Depends on condition
    Item Location
    Pensacola
    Hello
    I'm looking for a used single stage press. If anyone has one sitting in a box that they would like to sell please send me a pm.
    I would like to start reloading 357 and there's many press options and I dont have any practical reloading experience to discern which one I would prefer. I figure if I started with a used model I could save a little cash for the initial investment on a setup.
    Thanks
    Joe

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Honestly man, I would say that your best bet would probably be a kit. Not sure if you've already got everything else, but the Lee Challenger kit is roughly $170 with shipping but comes with EVERYTHING you need to be reloading minus the dies of the caliber you intend to reload. It's hard to beat because you'll realize quickly that it's a little more than just the press once you get started.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I mean, I have a spare - almost brand new - Lee press. PM me if that's something that interests you.
    But @sakorey is probably right - unless you have everything else, a kit is probably the best way to get started.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've heard kits have a lot of gear you'll want to replace rather quickly and that the savings from a kit are negated once you replace xyz.

My plan was to slowly acquire a list of items using the kit as an informal template...starting with what I need to deprime and clean brass and moving along from there. I have the money to get a kit but like I said... have heard some negative opinions.

But you think the kit is the way to go?

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    I replaced most of my kit early on but it gave me a starting point to experience what I liked and didn't like in the process. Like most things, you get what you pay for when it comes to reloading equipment. You can potentially find good deals on them but you won't know what you're looking for until you've dabbled in the process.

In my humble opinion, reloading isn't really about saving money. You will in the long run but it's usually offset but the volume you'll be shooting rather than the money saved.

I started off reloading with the intention of saving money, but I quickly realized that I hate the headache of certain processes and I ended up throwing money at the problem to make it go away. I could've easily bought ammo instead of reloading supplies/equipment and I'd still have a lot of ammo.

End result: Lots of expensive equipment but I get to shoot a lot more for less.

Could you save money reloading? Certainly, yes. If you're like me and get frustrated at things that don't come together easily or would prefer if you could do things faster, then prepare to share your budget between guns and reloading because you won't be saving much.

Last edited:

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    I think a good example would be a powder dispenser.
    You could measure each charge with a scale and a spoon but that would take a while. The Lee kit comes with a rudimentary powder dispenser that works but isn't smooth and gets slightly irritating to work with when dealing with fine ball powders like H110.

I upgraded to the Hornady Powder dispenser shortly after and made it the process easier but that was around $100 and I wasn't able to get a good deal on it because I couldn't find anyone that wasn't using theirs.

Eventually, I ended up getting the RCBS Chargemaster which electronically dispenses the accurate powder amount required. I found that in a package deal that made the individual item roughly $180 or so rather than the $300 it was going for at the time. However, as a downside, it takes forever to dispense multiple loads so if you're making plinking rounds, it will take far more time than a rotary dispenser.

You can piece together a kit but it might take a while and you won't exactly be certain how it could improve your reloading until you're doing it.

Of course, I'm only speaking from my unique experience so perhaps yours would be far different. Don't let me twist your arm into getting the kit or buying @Longtooth 's press.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I've heard kits have a lot of gear you'll want to replace rather quickly and that the savings from a kit are negated once you replace xyz.

My plan was to slowly acquire a list of items using the kit as an informal template...starting with what I need to deprime and clean brass and moving along from there. I have the money to get a kit but like I said... have heard some negative opinions.

But you think the kit is the way to go?
    Its very similar with building an AR vs buying one and upgrading as you go.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    First thing I'd recommend is to edit the title of this thread. Change "LF" to "WTB". Unless I'm the only person who didn't know "LF" means "Looking For" and isn't an abbreviation for some company or model of press.

You might be "false"-advertising yourself out of a potential solution. The people who have a single stage press available for sale are not usually the same people interested in some sale thread for a single stage press.

Edit to add: ...and/or ask a moderator to move it to the actual "WTB Firearms, Ammo, and Accessories" section.

Good luck with the search.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom