• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had an idea after checking my hog barrel today and thought I'd share. I put this together and wanted to test it next to my white barrel and see if the ability to 'see' the corn will cause the hogs to give it more attention. The 5 gallon jug was from Walmart, under $10 I think and comes with H20=) For you newbies, you don't need a 55 gallon drum = more corn needed to fill. Don't drill the holes too big or have too many of them, 1/2" -3/4" or so is just fine and there are six on this setup, you want them to only get a few kernels out at a time and play with it awhile. I need to put another swivel at the neck, but this will do for a while. These jugs are easily accessible and sturdy. Plastic 55 gallon barrels, if you can't find them free, usually run $15-$25 a piece... Lowes sells them for $50+. Remember to use DRY corn, not soured . Dollar Tree has dog anchors for a buck, I used an old wire snare but any wire cable or chain will do.

I'll let ya'll know how it works

hog barrel.JPG

Attachments

• hog barrel.JPG
      hog barrel.JPG
      116.3 KB · Views: 445

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have my doubts now, my buddy who is an expert (Sawman from PFF) told me I'm wasting my time, the hogs will destroy it the first night. I've not known him to be wrong..... Oh well, it will be entertaining nonetheless.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have learned my hog "tactics" from some of the best. Redneck,good ol' boys(with due respect)that have hunted the dark cypress swamps of Escambia River for generations. I listened while they talked...and watched while they showed. Then .... the trial and error started.

I have already communicated my thoughts to Steve about this but will simply say......over engineer everything. Angry,pissed off,feeding,dominant sows,or the bigger boar hogs with cutters,will destroy most anything. They can easily open snap hooks,unscrew nuts from bolts,spin lids off barrels,and break the softer hardware. If a roll barrel(55gal type)is freed,they can take it hundreds of yards thru thick brush. Do not...EVER...underestimate what several sounders of hogs can accomplish over one night if there is free food involved. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think my hogs carry a small tool belt and a large hammer...you would not believe what they have accomplished to thwart my barrel strategy. When they come in and I am in the stand I have watched them toss the barrels in the air and beat the heck out of them for 45 min at a time.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Got these for $5 each, they had dry fertilizer in them, very thick and sturdy. Have made feeders and roll barrels out of them, hold 100lbs. Found the barrels at a condo grounds-keeping dept.

Z28931

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some of the containers like Frank has shown but 100lbs of chlorine were in them. They are very thick and sturdy. As far as baiting the pigs up goes an tell. You how to make some special corn.... I've seen deer make craters in the food plots trying to get to it. It's a trick that my grandfather showed me and it's just as effective on hogs. It's called "whiskey corn" and no, you don't actually put whiskey in it. Fairly inexpensive to make, but it takes atleast two weeks to do right. A month is even better.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah we make sour corn, then dig a hole w a posthole digger, bury it and come back to a 5-6' crater dug by hogs. Corn, a pkg of yeast, jello, water and sit in sun for 2-4wks, been doing it for years..never had the deer bother it.

Z28931

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My recipe is different, and deer love it too. No yeast involved. Coons, deer, hogs, you name it come after it.

Top Bottom