• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I bought a Series 70 Government Model probably 5+ years ago from an estate. The guy had put custom sights on it. The back sight is a peep sight and the front sight was some kind of green flourescent bar which I did not like. The front sight flew off the first time I shot it. There is a "box" on the front where the sight is staked in. I would like to get the sights changed back to stock.
    I stopped by a couple of gunsmiths in town. One place was pretty backed up and really didn't show much interest in doing it. Told me to call Colt and they might give me some sights. That would ne nice but I still wouldn't know how to put them in.
    Stopped by another place and they told me it would be $100.
    I'm going to call Colt and see what they say but don't know that it would be worth the shipping charges to send it back to them.
    Anybody ever have this done and have some advice ?

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    For a hundred bucks, I'd think a gunsmith could mill a dovetail in front and put in a proper frontsight? I always replaced my 1911 front sights with cut dovetail arrangement. You only have to pay once, compared to the standard staked front sight occasionally flying off.

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brownells sells the correct staking tool to install the front sight, seems like around $20. Sights at Fusion Firearms. Or get 1911Junky to do it for you.

Or you sell me the broke down old gun............

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    For a hundred bucks, I'd think a gunsmith could mill a dovetail in front and put in a proper frontsight? I always replaced my 1911 front sights with cut dovetail arrangement. You only have to pay once, compared to the standard staked front sight occasionally flying off.

Do some Colt 1911s come with the dovetail and some with the staked-in arrangement or are all the dove tails done later by a gunsmith? I wonder why Colt didn't do it right in the first place?
    Is 1911Junky a gunsmith or a 1911 hobbyist?

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do some Colt 1911s come with the dovetail and some with the staked-in arrangement or are all the dove tails done later by a gunsmith? I wonder why Colt didn't do it right in the first place?
    Is 1911Junky a gunsmith or a 1911 hobbyist?

The GI models come with staked sights, others come with dovetails. Nothing wrong with staked sights as long as they are installed properly.

I'm surprised that 1911junky hasn't chimed in. I think he is working some at the Gun Doctors. Shoot him a PM. He's a good guy.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mine's not what I would call a GI model. It's just a plain government model series 70.
    Or is the government model what you are referring to as the GI model?

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Welldoya 1911 junky is hands down the only person I send any and all my friends to with 1911 issues I hear he eats drinks and sleeps 1911s

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Welldoya- I can change them out for you for $35. All original 1911's (GI) models came with the staked on tenon sight. They did not begin doing dovetail sights until some time later.

Just as AZ-Vic stated you can have dovetail milled to open up your options for sights. But Champ said it right. Staked on sight works just fine as long as it is installed correctly.

I do the Gunsmithing and Cerakote at TGD firearms on Sundays and Mondays. 1911's are my passion and have build and worked on many of them.

Government model is just a full size 1911, then you have commander and officer size.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That's one thing I love about this forum. I can always get some great recommendations and the fact that the guy is a member here is even better. Thanks guys.
    1911 , I sent you a PM.

Top Bottom