• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    i need to get a new gas chain saw. looking at stihl but husqvarna has also been recommended. anyone have opinions on the two? what about the tool shack in gulf breeze...anyone have good or bad to say about them? thanks in advance.
    I have both stihl and husqvarna. Ya can't go wrong with either, and parts are available all over. Guys at Tool Shack are good, but unless you want pro grade, you're probably gonna pay more.

IronBeard

Master
    Both Stihl and Husqvarna were great at one time. That being said the newer ones are not as good as the older ones.
    This. If you don't mind a project, buy used and rebuild. I was given a seized MS 290 and replaced the engine for under $200 and it's now a 390. My Husky 455 is over 10 and runs great, but I do all the mx myself. I'll keep both as long as I can fix 'em.

Welldoya

Master
    So where do those of you that are mechanically handicapped take your saws for repair?
    This thread reminded me of my Poulan 2000 that’s been sitting in the garage for years. Probably needs the carb rebuilt.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    In the late 1980s I got prices for taking down a couple of pretty big trees in my yard (Georgia)...I bought a Stihl 028, did it myself and still have the saw, although it has been a while since I started it. I've purchased a lawn mower and a weed eater from Tool Shack in Gulf Breeze and I feel that I got decent deals.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    the little 40volt kobalt is amazing the heck out of me. i can imagine what the larger one would be like. i still havent bought that Stihl MS 271 farm boss yet (thats what i think i am going with) because im still processing the smaller limbs.
    Mines the 18 inch, what's yours? I'm very impressed with it. I've got to get a new chain. Dig thru my stuff and found 2 14 s and a 20 of course.lol.

IronBeard

Master
    So where do those of you that are mechanically handicapped take your saws for repair?
    This thread reminded me of my Poulan 2000 that’s been sitting in the garage for years. Probably needs the carb rebuilt.
    JMO. I suspect your carb is likely fine, but your fuel lines have dried and fallen apart.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    well, i finally pulled the trigger. my mind was really made up over a week ago but this and that got in the way of going by the tool shack in gulf breeze. i had been there before, when i first started looking for a gas chainsaw. they were so busy that day i couldnt get any help. but i went in after work on friday and there were no customers. all three of the guys on duty took an interest and got me suited out with the STIHL MS250, along with accoutrements.

the MS250 is $399 (STIHL keeps their prices pretty firm most of the year) and with all the extras and taxes i walked out $520 lighter. i got the extended warranty by buying a gallon of STHLs precious-as-gold fuel and picked up an extra chain and files while i was there. part of being a STIHL dealer is they start the saw there and give it and ops check then hand it over to you full of fuel and bar oil. nice.

been sawing for only about 30 minutes and already this saw is going thru that white oak tree like butter. the picture is just before i popped her cherry.

thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• 20240817_102418_resized.jpg
      20240817_102418_resized.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 18

DustyDog

Master
    well, i finally pulled the trigger. my mind was really made up over a week ago but this and that got in the way of going by the tool shack in gulf breeze. i had been there before, when i first started looking for a gas chainsaw. they were so busy that day i couldnt get any help. but i went in after work on friday and there were no customers. all three of the guys on duty took an interest and got me suited out with the STIHL MS250, along with accoutrements.

the MS250 is $399 (STIHL keeps their prices pretty firm most of the year) and with all the extras and taxes i walked out $520 lighter. i got the extended warranty by buying a gallon of STHLs precious-as-gold fuel and picked up an extra chain and files while i was there. part of being a STIHL dealer is they start the saw there and give it and ops check then hand it over to you full of fuel and bar oil. nice.

been sawing for only about 30 minutes and already this saw is going thru that white oak tree like butter. the picture is just before i popped her cherry.

thanks for everyone's input.
    MUST BE NICE... :)

Top Bottom