• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    i need to get a new gas chain saw. looking at stihl but husqvarna has also been recommended. anyone have opinions on the two? what about the tool shack in gulf breeze...anyone have good or bad to say about them? thanks in advance.

Bay Ranger

Master
    I've got several Stihl yard tools. They are many years old and have never had a problem with them. I highly recommend them. Can't say anything about their chain saws, although I have a friend that owns 150 acres and he has two of them. That says something. I believe that they are made in the USA too.

I have used Tool Shack several times for repair on a generator and gas lawn mower and have been pleased with their service. They seem to have a lot of repair business and the result can be a rather long lead time to get something repaired. I bought my Toro lawn mower from them.

Fathertime

Marksman
    I have had both for many years, the one thing that I have learned is whatever brand you get make sure you have a place that you like to take it to if you have problems. Currently my go to saw is a Stihl and I love it. Plenty of power, easy to start. I can get my Stihl worked on here in Atmore but if my Husqvarna needs fixed I would have to take it out of town. Also make sure you have a knowledgeable dealer to deal with. I also use non ethanol gas in all my small engines, that helps a bunch.

Welldoya

Master
    Chain saws have changed a lot over the years. I had a couple of Poulans back in the ‘80s and they were terrific saws. I’ve still got the smaller one but the carb needs cleaning.
    Currently I have a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20” bar. It’s a great saw but it’s more for trunks or cutting firewood than trimming.
    Husqvarna used to be the equal of Stihl but they also used to all be made in Sweden and available only at servicing dealers. That has changed and they aren’t as good anymore.
    I’ve got a Stihl combi unit with several attachments. I use the chainsaw attachment more than I use my chainsaw. It’s perfect for trimming and you are able to stand back while cutting.
    Whatever size saw you decide on, I would make it a Stihl.

5lima30ret

Master
    Both Stihl and Husqvarna were great at one time. That being said the newer ones are not as good as the older ones. If I was looking at a new gas saw the Echo's are nice.

If you don't use it frequently for heavy use I would go with a cordless! I've got a 60 volt Power works (same as Green works) that does all I need to limb and trim. Good luck!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Pete,
    One thing I'd suggest is check the warranty on all your options. I remember talking to the Stihl dealer in Pace a while back , Something about using their mix oil , and the warranty is longer.
    I think their prices are fixed everywhere unless they are running a seasonal sale.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Depends on what you are cutting. Felling Full size trees? Or just cutting smaller trees 5-8 inch and limb cutting? If it's smaller stuff I use the cobalt electric. 18 inch bar. Run time about 30 mins then 45 min to recharge. I was VERY skeptical about an " electric" saw. But this one works. Still gotta use bar lube but no gas or fussy carburetor, broke pull string after leaving it in the shed for 6 months. Just keep a sharp chain on it and don't burn the blade. We also have a corded extension saw workx that's done very well.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Depends on what you are cutting. Felling Full size trees? Or just cutting smaller trees 5-8 inch and limb cutting? If it's smaller stuff I use the cobalt electric. 18 inch bar. Run time about 30 mins then 45 min to recharge. I was VERY skeptical about an " electric" saw. But this one works. Still gotta use bar lube but no gas or fussy carburetor, broke pull string after leaving it in the shed for 6 months. Just keep a sharp chain on it and don't burn the blade. We also have a corded extension saw workx that's done very well.
    i picked up a used kobalt battery saw with a 14 inch bar and i was shocked, SHOCKED at how well it works. but i still need a gas monster for some real cutting i need to do.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Pete,
    One thing I'd suggest is check the warranty on all your options. I remember talking to the Stihl dealer in Pace a while back , Something about using their mix oil , and the warranty is longer.
    I think their prices are fixed everywhere unless they are running a seasonal sale.
    from what i am seeing both husky and stihl extend your warranty if you use only their consumables.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    i picked up a used kobalt battery saw with a 14 inch bar and i was shocked, SHOCKED at how well it works. but i still need a gas monster for some real cutting i need to do.
    Yep. I also don't mind the recharge time, gives me a break to drag limbs and sit for a bit.

ccc

Master
    As I have gotten older I adapted the “Buy once cry once” mentality. I use Stihl and also ONLY use Stihl premix fuel and oil in all my two strokes, never have to worry about carb or lines clogging up, they can sit for years and then fire right up.

Top Bottom