• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloporsche

Marksman
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Managed my whole life to be with out one and got more reason not to have one .....our new refrigerator called/texted my wife ,our new washer dryer kept asking me things about wifi ,our robot vacuum gets cell phone orders ,the food temperature probe comes up on the cell ,it also got us off course coming from nj ...sadly she talked me out of a landline here ...i miss my rotary

IronBeard

Master
    I resisted for years, and finally got one due to increased driving distance to/from work. In the end, it's a machine, and I control the machine.

woodsy85

Expert
    On that same topic if you have a "Smart Thermostat" the power company can adjust your thermostat to meet their demands during peak periods.

There are programs like this, but they require a sign up/opt in process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5lima30ret

Master
    There are programs like this, but they require a sign up/opt in process.

I partially agree that is true with some large power companies but not so much with smaller rural electrical Co-Op's.

Baddog 0302

Master
    The next time you see someone either young working age or someone totally retired talking on their cell, offer them $ 100.00 to give you their Ph. for 24 Hr's. The looks , priceless

woodsy85

Expert
    I partially agree that is true with some large power companies but not so much with smaller rural electrical Co-Op's.

There’s literally no way for any electric company to control your thermostat unless you grant access to a 3rd party program, which would require a manual enrollment process. No electric company would even know what type of thermostat you have. Electric lines do not transmit/receive IP information nor do they have data control functions. The only way remote control is possible is via the syncing of multiple applications to accomplish integration via algorithms (I.e. you grant your utility company access to your thermostat app during setup- which would require authentication of both thermostats & utility accounts.)

If you feel your thermostat is being controlled without your permission, it’s likely you unwittingly granted access during a setup process.

Ozymandias

Expert
    I have a feeling the guy asking the question isn’t “young working age” lol. My phone makes me way more than $100 a day, so that’s a hard no.

BINGO

Uh wait actually, what i meant was “ye high-fallutin’ whippersnappers an’ ye newfangled technobabblers, back in ma’ day we use’dta use smoke signals!”

And of course: SoFt HaNdS!

Buncha nerds lol

woodsy85

Expert
    BINGO

Uh wait actually, what i meant was “ye high-fallutin’ whippersnappers an’ ye newfangled technobabblers, back in ma’ day we use’dta use smoke signals!”

And of course: SoFt HaNdS!

Buncha nerds lol

I mean, everyone should know basic smoke signaling and develop skills to live without technology. I think a lot of us here are preppers to some extent, so probably preaching to the choir.

It’s going to get cold tonight. At some point I’m going to tell my thermostat to turn on the heat, Alexa to turn on my living room lamp so I don’t stub my toes at 0400, use an app to start my car and turn on the heated seats, my coffee will be made and ready befire I ever wake up, I’ll tell my alarm to arm itself on the way out the door, and my robot vacuum will clean the floors while I’m at work. When my wife wakes up she’ll tell the outdoor fountain to turn on and enjoy her coffee on the porch. Actually, since it’s cold, she’ll probably tell the blinds to close, the heater to turn up even more and go back to bed.

Could I live without technology? Sure. I’m a swamp baby, raised in the woods. I know how to survive.

Do I want to live without it? Hell no!

MarkS

Master
    My wife wanted a cell phone 20 years ago but I didn’t. A few years later my niece gave me my first cell phone because my family didn’t like having to call my wife to reach me. My niece and nephew have been paying for my cell phones ever since because I still don’t like having an electronic leash.

sloporsche

Marksman
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    we just moved to fla and set up with att ,the wife said oh dear its 50 bucks a month for your landline ,i think now she regrets it being she has to do ALL the phone stuff now ,it is a pain in the ass sometimes because some sites you must provide a phone number ,when i can get away with it i give them my disconnected nj number

M60Gunner

Master
    There’s literally no way for any electric company to control your thermostat unless you grant access to a 3rd party program, which would require a manual enrollment process. No electric company would even know what type of thermostat you have. Electric lines do not transmit/receive IP information nor do they have data control functions. The only way remote control is possible is via the syncing of multiple applications to accomplish integration via algorithms (I.e. you grant your utility company access to your thermostat app during setup- which would require authentication of both thermostats & utility accounts.)

If you feel your thermostat is being controlled without your permission, it’s likely you unwittingly granted access during a setup process.

We had no choice in the smart power meter on the outside of the house. Wonder how long it will be before we are forced into this?

M60Gunner

Master
    we just moved to fla and set up with att ,the wife said oh dear its 50 bucks a month for your landline ,i think now she regrets it being she has to do ALL the phone stuff now ,it is a pain in the ass sometimes because some sites you must provide a phone number ,when i can get away with it i give them my disconnected nj number
    My wife worked for Verizon and we were talking to the ATT techs (same union CWA) who came out awhile back. They didn’t know of anybody who has a true landline anymore, all VOIP masquerading as land lines.

Baddog 0302

Master
    I have a feeling the guy asking the question isn’t “young working age” lol. My phone makes me way more than $100 a day, so that’s a hard no.

Yep, retired from two different jobs. I may be old but I'm not to lazy to put an actual location on my screen profile
    Ph. earns you more that $ 100.00 a day , you a dope dealer ?

Top Bottom